Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

serious norman posted:

So it will finally be worth reading?

Yes that's what the management changes are supposed to bring. It's to entice people to read the magazine and buy it, instead of not reading it and at most just flipping through it quickly. They're even giving it proper digital application support so it can be read digitally without fuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yes that's what the management changes are supposed to bring. It's to entice people to read the magazine and buy it, instead of not reading it and at most just flipping through it quickly. They're even giving it proper digital application support so it can be read digitally without fuss.

Good. I'm looking forward to it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I guarantee you that nobody in this thread has an actual subscription to National Geographic, or has even read one since middle school geography class aside from that one "IS EVOLUTION A LIE?" cover that got passed around the internet a few years ago.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
That's because National Geographic is for children

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Fansy posted:

Cancelled my subscription.

Can anyone recommend a similar alternative?

Smithsonian. Also Air & Space

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Sleeveless posted:

I guarantee you that nobody in this thread has an actual subscription to National Geographic, or has even read one since middle school geography class aside from that one "IS EVOLUTION A LIE?" cover that got passed around the internet a few years ago.

I have a subscription, it comes every month in the mail and goes into the recycling still wrapped in the plastic sleeve.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why hasn't anyone assassinated this dude yet? Does he keep an entire private army around him at all times?

*Not advocating assassination, just asking questions oh god who's at the door.

Well, his flunky in charge of Fox News, Roger Ailes, literally has an office fortified against bomb attacks in case the fags decide to get uppity and come to call in his debts to humanity. So I assume Murdoch's security is at a significantly higher level since he draws the ire of the entire planet.

Moosechees
Jun 1, 2002

rawr
I hate Rupert Murdoch and everything too, but all other news sources are saying 9% of the magazine staff is getting cut. Of course, those other news sources aren't currently featuring any articles on the "9 Hilarious Kim Davis memes you haven't seen already" so they're probably not as trustworthy as reverbpress.com.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

Had a sub for ten years, worked their 125th anniversary photography show, and met a lot of their photographers. It's been a huge influence on me.

Cancelled my sub the moment Fox bought the magazine. It's great the Society itself is still a non-profit and can give out larger grants, but it wasn't worth trading its biggest media asset and the face of the Society for the past century.

Good on Michael Nichols for retiring instead of trying to trudge on under Murdoch's ownership.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Axel Serenity posted:

Had a sub for ten years, worked their 125th anniversary photography show, and met a lot of their photographers. It's been a huge influence on me.

Cancelled my sub the moment Fox bought the magazine. It's great the Society itself is still a non-profit and can give out larger grants, but it wasn't worth trading its biggest media asset and the face of the Society for the past century.

Good on Michael Nichols for retiring instead of trying to trudge on under Murdoch's ownership.

listen buddy, i don't think you "get" gbs. you are not allowed to care or even like things around here, understand

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The article itself was OK and the video was fun but never, never, EVER read the comments on Vice. Worse than youtube.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sleeveless posted:

I do.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Sleeveless posted:

me

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Let's see where this leads.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baba Ganoush posted:

I doubt the writers actually deserved awards and if they somehow did I'm sure the awards are meaningless poo poo. Even if the awards aren't meaningless poo poo and the writing was decent they deserve to be homeless for stealing the spotlight and acclaim which rightfully belongs to the animals. If I found out in a week that a NatGeo writer was butchered and cannibalized in some back alley hobo town, it would make me happy. I'm sure Murdoch feels the same way and I'm no longer surprised about how or why he's a billionaire.

Look at how stupid you are.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sleeveless posted:

I am that fag, its me I'm the guy who has a NG subscription and reads it :gay:

Although the television channel has been deplorable rubbish pretty much from the get-go (fuckin Dog Whisperer and Doomsday Preppers) I'm sad to hear about how the magazine staff is being treated.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Zeluth posted:

Let's see where this leads.

Wrong thread, this is not the Duggars thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's crazy because there's tons of old national geographic docs from the 70s and 80s that have some amazing footage (my old boss did the sound design on some so I got to see a few of the masters), but none of its seen the light of day the past 20 years. I wish they showed that on their TV station instead of whatever they're airing now.

• Locked thread