Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Manuel Calavera posted:

Are you thinking about Tarrare?

Actually it was this guy.

quote:

While in service on board the French ship Hoche, a sailor's leg was shot off by cannon fire, and Domery grabbed the severed limb and began to eat it until a crew member wrestled it from him and threw it into the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Jesus Christ, his life was like if Eli Roth had written Perfume: Story of a Murderer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd make the movie if I had the budget for such an expansive period drama.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlN4Sh06po&t=187s

(3:07 to around 4:30)

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually it was this guy.

To be fair, given the time period, French food wasn't all that great.

And unlike in modern times, that foot was not going to get re-attached.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You might not be able to view it on Facebook, but here's a video of the Swiss military in what looks like the 40s or 50s producing fondue, including military precision when training how to grate cheese!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
That looks fun and delicious, so in addition to that neutrality thing we can conclude that Swiss army best army.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Best navy too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Definitely the best knife.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I can't tell the ranks of the people eating the fondue at the end. Would this be something for officers' parties, enlisted holiday chow, or just an ordinary garrison meal for the army?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fondue is just dairy hot pot, utterly without flavor yet popular as a time-consuming background task for a night of talking and drinking

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Darkest Auer posted:

Fondue is just dairy hot pot, utterly without flavor yet popular as a time-consuming background task for a night of talking and drinking

What crappy cheese are you using where it has no flavor?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Hotpot is better than fondue any day of the week. In fact it's addictive:

https://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/10/31/hotpot-high-restaurants-in-china-spice-up-food-with-opium/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fondue was basically an invention to salvage Switzerland's cheese industry after tyrannical mismanagement by the Swiss Cheese Union left them with a massive glut in the market for the only three varieties of cheeses they allowed. One of those triumphs of modern marketing.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/10/355177578/episode-575-the-fondue-conspiracy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c07GSJGrcKk

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SlothfulCobra posted:

after tyrannical mismanagement by the Swiss Cheese Union

A good sentence

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Phanatic posted:

This is the saltiest thing I've ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt:

My grandmother used to make SOS for my grandfather probably every month or so, and I still enjoy it to this day, but I don't think I've ever had any cooked to the actual Army recipe using actual Army beef, chipped, dried, chopped, because 1.2 grams of salt for a whole 169 calories sounds loving insane. For your standard 2000cal/day diet that'd be over 14 grams of salt.

I do this for my family twice a month, or more. It's... less nutty than it sounds off the bat. We tend to use Buddig packaged beef, and the "beef" not corned beef. But ~all~ the salt for the recipe comes from that meat. Oh, and fresh milk.

The "cook for 5 minutes" step, is building a roux. But how the heck are you going to teach every goon with a spoon how to build a roux?

Then you put it over toast, which does a lot for cutting the saltiness.

sleepy.eyes posted:

That sounds so much better than creamy BS that is most of what I've seen. Is it sort of like sauerkraut?

He'll, I hate most anything with mayo in it, that stuff disgusts me.

There's "vinegar base" and "cream base" Coleslaw. The creamy stuff is what you'll find on sandwiches. Vinegar base is what you find at KFC, Popeye's, and Long John Silvers. It's closer to a pickle salad than over-chopped side salad. I've learned to ask before I order it as a side. The disappointment, and disgust of find mayo based coleslaw has left many plates of mine, still decorated with that ick.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

how about sugar-base cole slaw

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nerobro posted:

There's "vinegar base" and "cream base" Coleslaw. The creamy stuff is what you'll find on sandwiches. Vinegar base is what you find at KFC, Popeye's, and Long John Silvers. It's closer to a pickle salad than over-chopped side salad. I've learned to ask before I order it as a side. The disappointment, and disgust of find mayo based coleslaw has left many plates of mine, still decorated with that ick.

All slaws are good slaws.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Manuel Calavera posted:

All slaws are good slaws.

Where did the bad cook touch you? Here, show me on this eggplant.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
If you're calling KFC vinegar based what term do you have left for the Salvadoran type slaws served at your better Pupusarias?

Other than 'delicious' of course.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I had to google this and it sounds really good, thanks.

All the cabbage salads I was ever offered were based on mayo and sugar and I loath that, this however I'll definitely make for my next family gathering.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh vinegar for sure, creamy coleslaw is a nightmare

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nerobro posted:

Where did the bad cook touch you? Here, show me on this eggplant.

I stand by my words. :colbert:

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018
Honestly, I don't know why the US military doesn't just completely cheap out and issue out cans of Crisco, bags of flour and oatmeal, salt, and water rations. And maybe a pack of cigarettes.

There were times when I would have preferred that versus eating MRE's.

Moist fried hardtack with rolled oats almost feels like meat when you eat it. The trick is to stop frying it in a pan when it kinda "feels" like a chunk of boneless chicken. Hell, add a (crushed) bouillon cube while mixing it all up, and it would probably fool a lot of people, at least until they were able to get some real food.

Mmmmm... soldier food for the poors. :hist101:

edit: I usually go with a 50/50 ratio of wheat and oats, and enough water to mix it all together, but not enough to make porridge. And I suddenly feel really loving old. That being said, it's cool and hipster to eat mostly vegetarian food, right?

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 20, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That’s basically Roman legionary rations right? Plus some sour wine and meat.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Weren't there multiple times in the gip idiot thread where someone needed to be taught to wipe their rear end

How you gonna have soldiers cook

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Weren't there multiple times in the gip idiot thread where someone needed to be taught to wipe their rear end

How you gonna have soldiers cook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rU5mpwJ6GU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had some more rum to get rid of so I made an impromptu Navy grog.

Roughly half-and-half rum and water with a good squeeze or two of lime juice. It’s stronger than original Navy grog (4:1 water to rum) and has a more distinctive sweetness while still being easy to drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Nerobro posted:

I do this for my family twice a month, or more. It's... less nutty than it sounds off the bat. We tend to use Buddig packaged beef, and the "beef" not corned beef. But ~all~ the salt for the recipe comes from that meat. Oh, and fresh milk.

The "cook for 5 minutes" step, is building a roux. But how the heck are you going to teach every goon with a spoon how to build a roux?

Then you put it over toast, which does a lot for cutting the saltiness.

My extended family used to plan get togethers around making chipped beef gravy. Not since my mother's parents died, though.

• Locked thread