Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Greetings friends! I currently have the flu. Holy poo poo, go get your flu shot if you already haven't. I was due to get mine on Saturday (seeing as I would have sunday free to suffer my post-shot consequences, I always get a little sick). But Wednesday blindsided me and was like, "Hey, you've not been bedridden in months. Let's fix that!"

I'm currently quite lucid, having hit the sweet spot of time where all the naproxen, naps, tea, light snacks, and teensy bit of painkillers are combining to make me feel quite okay! So long as I don't do anything silly like move. I expect this to last about 20 more minutes. I am also very fortunate to have my mother in the house, who is happy to provide me with a constant stream of snacks and tea. Love you, Mom.

So, what's your best flu season recipe? I wish I could get up and cook, I'm quite bored right now, and I have that calamondin pie I wanted to make. I'm dependant on Dr.Mom's cooking, which is quite good, but we've diverged quite a bit in style. Now, when I'm sick and she's not around to wait on me, my go-to is light sushi (albacore and california rolls) and a quart clear soup from the sushi place down the block. I love you, sushi place down the block.

I love you cooking sub-forum. It's very hot now. I think i'm out of lucid

oh man this is gonna gently caress up my natnowrimo schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
chicken stock.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Hot toddys, 2, or 10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_toddy

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I have some beer (oatmeal stout), beef, barley, and mushroom stew on the stove right now. Basically sear some beef, get a bunch of mushrooms, both diced and sliced, nicely cooked down until they've released all of their moisture, brown some onions, deglaze with beer or red wine, add garlic and thyme, and add the beef and mushrooms along with whatever veggies you want to use up. I have turnips, rutabagas, carrots, and parsnips, so that is what I added. Also add as much stock as you like. Cook for an hour or so and add some barley groats or pearl barley. If you prefer smaller vegetable pieces, add them now instead of an hour ago. I hope you read this through. Cook until it's done and eat up! It's extremely hearty and really soothing. If you like suet dumplings or spaetzle in your stew, have at. There's not much you can do to gently caress up this recipe, since it's stew. Just don't fall into a nyquil fever haze and leave it on the stove for hours and hours or it will be a very hearty puree.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Eggs, preferably in the form of avgolemono, Greek lemon soup. Get lots of chicken stock (canned is fine when you're sick or busy whatever), add a handful of rice and simmer until rice is cooked. Mix a bunch of eggs (like 1 egg for every 1.5 cups of broth) and a bunch of lemon juice (like one lemon for every 4 cups of broth) and beat that up. Temper that with ladlesfull of the hot soup, then mix it all together. Don't boil at this point or you'll end up with egg drop soup, just heat until thickened. If you're feeling fancy or not sick, throw some fresh dill in there. Four ingredients, you can totally make it when you're sick.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh god I've just realized that I'm out of all stock except shrimp. Must roast a chicken when I'm better. Usually i've got jars of it in the freezer.

I'm cold and want Sym's beef stew now.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh god I've just realized that I'm out of all stock except shrimp. Must roast a chicken when I'm better. Usually i've got jars of it in the freezer.

I'm cold and want Sym's beef stew now.

My freezer is full of suet, leaf lard, knuckle bones, and shin bones this time of year. This is a strategy that will make your winters beefy and warm. Highly recommended.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

My freezer is full of suet, leaf lard, knuckle bones, and shin bones this time of year. This is a strategy that will make your winters beefy and warm. Highly recommended.

I've got quite a bit of fatty pork, but no bones. Pork stock is quite good though.

The moment I can stand upright for more then a minute, I'm having spatchcock chicken over sweet potatoes, then making stock. But for now, Raspberry zinger and honey.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Eggs, preferably in the form of avgolemono, Greek lemon soup. Get lots of chicken stock (canned is fine when you're sick or busy whatever), add a handful of rice and simmer until rice is cooked. Mix a bunch of eggs (like 1 egg for every 1.5 cups of broth) and a bunch of lemon juice (like one lemon for every 4 cups of broth) and beat that up. Temper that with ladlesfull of the hot soup, then mix it all together. Don't boil at this point or you'll end up with egg drop soup, just heat until thickened. If you're feeling fancy or not sick, throw some fresh dill in there. Four ingredients, you can totally make it when you're sick.

This also sounds amazing, by the way. Mm, I have some nice eggs. Ooh, and I could replace the lemon with calamondin, that stuff's sour as all getout.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
After thinking about making stock, I hit up an Asian supermarket and found that they sell chicken bones (mostly backs, rib cages) for dirt cheap so I picked up 3 pounds. My stock smells 'funny', like not chickeny, more gross. Is this a thing? Whole Foods chicken backs don't make stock that smells like this.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ranter posted:

After thinking about making stock, I hit up an Asian supermarket and found that they sell chicken bones (mostly backs, rib cages) for dirt cheap so I picked up 3 pounds. My stock smells 'funny', like not chickeny, more gross. Is this a thing? Whole Foods chicken backs don't make stock that smells like this.

You may have gotten a bad batch. One diseased or gross bone in the lot can ruin a lot of stock. Otherwise, how long and hot did you cook it?

Tomato soup today, still not able to stand up for more then a minute at a time. Throat is all sore.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It started smelling weird as soon as the water started heated up. I typically bring cold water to a boil then immediately turn it down to a bare simmer. Haven't had issues with this method before. Must have been the bones.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
That's a pitty. Something must have gone off.

Pro tip, if you don't feel like cooking a chicken (for some reason), getting a rotisserie bird or two before your grocery store closes, as they're on sale then, then picking the meat off. This leaves you with fine stock carcasses. Make chicken salad, chicken sandwiches, ect with the meat, but save some of the dark meat for adding to thinned stock for chicken soup. I might do that instead of cooking the whole chicken myself if i'm not much better by sunday.

That or chineese

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Protip in turn: Costco rotisserie chicken is no bullshit amazing. gently caress that dry supermarket poo poo, Costco have it down perfectly.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ranter posted:

Protip in turn: Costco rotisserie chicken is no bullshit amazing. gently caress that dry supermarket poo poo, Costco have it down perfectly.

I do like Costco.

Publix fried chicken is pretty darn good as well! I like it miles better then KFC. Sides are better there too, I love the southern potato salad. It's my go-to "to tired to cook, to hungry for salad" meal.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
GREAT NEWS! I am a giant fukkin liar and dont really have the flu! Hooray! I don't have the flu! It's actually hand foot and mouth disease (which is not hoof and mouth disease) aka Coxsackievirus. So I still have to get a flu shot. I started getting these weird bug bites on my hands, and the inside of my throat's covered in them too. I've still got flu-like symptoms and am hella dizzy though.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

GREAT NEWS! I am a giant fukkin liar and dont really have the flu! Hooray! I don't have the flu! It's actually hand foot and mouth disease (which is not hoof and mouth disease) aka Coxsackievirus. So I still have to get a flu shot. I started getting these weird bug bites on my hands, and the inside of my throat's covered in them too. I've still got flu-like symptoms and am hella dizzy though.

Are you hallucinating bugs crawling in your throat or are you calling pin sized sores bug bites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CrazySalamander posted:

Are you hallucinating bugs crawling in your throat or are you calling pin sized sores bug bites?

They're about bugbite sized on my hands and feet, but pretty small in my throat. They hurt, but don't itch. I'm getting better, it's not as bad as it was with the flu symptoms, but I'm feeling pretty run down.

Made chicken stock, but the cleaning of the kitchen and work have me feeling beat. Ordering sushi.

• Locked thread