Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why was this game so disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Calaveron posted:

They spent far more resources on improving graphics than on other core gameplay- and it feels a lot like the successful core mechanics of JC2 were at least partly accidental. The side challenges mechanic was used as an attempted stopgap, but wasn't very good at it. The wrong components of the physics engine were chosen for enhancement and development, leading to things like the final bo-ohwaithesdead

And there were no ninjas.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
the team that knew what they were doing was working on mad max

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
wait there were ninjas in JC2?

poo poo do i need to go replay JC2 again?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ghost of Starman posted:

wait there were ninjas in JC2?

poo poo do i need to go replay JC2 again?

Submarine ninjas

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Calaveron posted:

The game world was not created as a world to have fun in but as a world that looks good graphically. There is no civilian airport, there are also no good "hidden" areas like that one desert with all the jumps or that place with the raceboat that has all those small islands you can jump over or that ski resort or that giant frozen lake with by the side of the mountain etc. The missions in JC2 were bad because it seemed like they didn't care that much about them, in JC3 it seems like they purposely made the missions bad to make them "funny".

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
I actually enjoyed this game a lot and liberated all the territories, but this was the first Just Cause game I played, so feel free to shame me. I definitely did think it would have benefited from more large cities/unique locations in general, but I have a high tolerance for repetition. Should I play JC2? I think I have it on Steam.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Ninja Bob posted:

I actually enjoyed this game a lot and liberated all the territories, but this was the first Just Cause game I played, so feel free to shame me. I definitely did think it would have benefited from more large cities/unique locations in general, but I have a high tolerance for repetition. Should I play JC2? I think I have it on Steam.

JC2 is only fun dicking around in and if I remember correctly you have to unlock the map by doing extremely unfunny missions, so no, I do not recommend JC2 unless you use an end-game save to have everything unlocked and just dick around. In which case you will probably get bored pretty fast because it is not a very impressive game by today's standards.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TjyvTompa posted:

JC2 is only fun dicking around in and if I remember correctly you have to unlock the map by doing extremely unfunny missions, so no, I do not recommend JC2 unless you use an end-game save to have everything unlocked and just dick around. In which case you will probably get bored pretty fast because it is not a very impressive game by today's standards.

The only things you have to unlock are respawn points for if you die (and the missions are still pretty fun, if not as fun as other stuff). The entire map is open after the first story mission. The story missions in JC2 range from OK to fantastic. There are no timed weapon challenges, no bullshit fragile vehicle collections, no sense of genuine morality, no plot device minerals. Take that you pipeline jerk.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Edit: ^^ yeah, that's how I remembered it. You could pretty much go anywhere from the start, some places get attacked in a story mission so they're harder and/or can't be cleared yet, and some outposts have to be unlocked and taken over with faction missions but that's it.

I think you have to do the first two missions or so, to unlock the black market helicopter, but that's like minimal effort.

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 23, 2017

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

My biggest gripe is that they changed the voice actor and changed rico to a buff younger self.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Honestly I'd be pretty okay if they give us a just cause 2 HD remaster next.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Honestly I'd be pretty okay if they give us a just cause 2 HD remaster next.

With integrated mp

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calaveron posted:

I've barely played it because for some reason it devours all ram and I have to close nearly everything for it. I don't have to do that with anything else.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I had fun with 3 and I think the DLC added a lot of cool poo poo. If you can get it for cheap, and have a PC capable of running it I would pick it up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Again, jc2 has a mission where you fight ninjas on a frozen lake while bombs fall everywhere around you.
JC3 has a mission where you slowly drive a truck of wine barrels over a bumpy road that you fail if a barrel falls off

The final boss of jc2 is fought while you surf on nuclear missiles, parachuting missile to missile trying to take the guy down
The final boss of JC3 is the same helicopter fight you've previously done a million times except with more health.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I actually really liked the main missions of JC2, which is part of why JC3 sounds like a bummer to me. They were pretty ridiculous. Remember that one where you crash land on a "haunted" island and fight crazy Imperial Japanese remnants?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Calaveron posted:

Again, jc2 has a mission where you fight ninjas on a frozen lake while bombs fall everywhere around you.
JC3 has a mission where you slowly drive a truck of wine barrels over a bumpy road that you fail if a barrel falls off

The final boss of jc2 is fought while you surf on nuclear missiles, parachuting missile to missile trying to take the guy down
The final boss of JC3 is the same helicopter fight you've previously done a million times except with more health.

You did that truck mission like a loving idiot. I tethered the truck to a chopper and flew it to victory.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I actually really liked the main missions of JC2, which is part of why JC3 sounds like a bummer to me. They were pretty ridiculous. Remember that one where you crash land on a "haunted" island and fight crazy Imperial Japanese remnants?

That was a side mission if I remember correctly. That entire "lost island" was a loving side quest and it was awesome.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

1redflag posted:

That was a side mission if I remember correctly. That entire "lost island" was a loving side quest and it was awesome.

Yeah, I actually kind of like it when crazy poo poo like that is missable. It makes the world feel that much more immersive and rewarding when you discover it instead of being handheld into it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
JC2 just had way more memorable locations. I remember being in awe when I first flew over the ski resort, found the radar installation or got shot out of the sky by the Lost island thunderstorm.

I just want the primary team who made Mad Max to take the JC3 basics and make a kick-rear end JC3.5 or 4 out of it. WIth Mad Max driving physics instead of what we have now.

Add a nemesis system for good measure IMO.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Just give us goddamn integrated, no-bullshit-limitations multiplayer. Stop trying to reinvent the Rico and literally re-release JC3 but with robust multiplayer modes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Give us JC2 again but with the ability to blow every building up.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

RBA Starblade posted:

Give us JC2 again but with the ability to blow every building up.
There was a time when I considered Red Faction Guerrilla, Just Cause 2, and Prototype my three favourite open world-type games (actually I suppose I still kind of do?), and just thinking about what they'd be like rolled into one was…oh man. :allears:

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Just Cause 3 is infinitely more enjoyable with the jetpack DLC. I've been playing the series since the first installment, so I'm all about the parachute/grappling hook mechanics, but something about the jetpack just made this particular game "click" in a way it hadn't before I installed the DLC. I don't know if I'd want it in the next game since it takes away so much from JC's gameplay identity, but if the developer's were smart, they'd start a new IP with the jetpack/open world mechanics of JC3 used as the template.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Jet pack is probably the most critical dlc. You can literally fly as fast as a plane from anywhere, even water takeoff. It's too versatile not to have.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Calaveron posted:

Because you can't throw C4.

I mean, the more expanded version is that the devs clearly had no idea what made JC2 so fun/good, and considered that anything beneficial in game somehow needed to be balanced by a trade-off. But primarily, this lead to the idea of having limitless C4 (or at least not have to rebuy it all the time) being presented but considered as requiring of some sort of trade-off, so they then decided that you can't throw it.

That's why the game sucks, that single element. I wrote like a huge ranting paragraph, and if Game Developer Magazine was still around they could have had an incredible post-mortem article in which this game became the poster boy for endless lovely unfun "trade-off" design-by-committee bullshit because it's full of it.

But in the end, I'd probably tolerate every other idiotic thing this game does if you could just loving throw your loving C4.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the things i really loved in JC2 was planting C4 in every single explodable thing on a military base and then just go to a vantage point and see it all blow up in a glorious hellstorm.

In JC3 the only thing that explodes is my RAM

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
JC3 movement controls prevent you from moving in certain ways unless the character model can lock into certain animations.This is pretty next-gen, and it works in stuff like GTA 5, but it's pretty lovely for a game like JC3.

Like, in JC2, you could pivot on a single spot. Rico's leg's would wiggle in this weird way, but you ultimately you maintained control over him.

In JC3, Rico has all these animations for starting and stopping, turning around a certain way, etc. There are a bunch of distinct animations for shooting the grappling hook during certain movement animations, and they're all bad because they delay your shot and you can't actually cancel out of them.

This is weird-rear end game design. ofc Rico moves more like a real human being, but I certainly don't give a poo poo about that. JC3 is full of "flourishes" like that, where looking next-gen apparently superceded gameplay.

Another example would be how fun upgrades are locked behind side-missions, but doing side-missions and unlocking upgrades also forces you to watch gameplay videos that don't load properly. The side missions are that interesting either.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

JC3 movement controls prevent you from moving in certain ways unless the character model can lock into certain animations.This is pretty next-gen, and it works in stuff like GTA 5, but it's pretty lovely for a game like JC3.

Like, in JC2, you could pivot on a single spot. Rico's leg's would wiggle in this weird way, but you ultimately you maintained control over him.

In JC3, Rico has all these animations for starting and stopping, turning around a certain way, etc. There are a bunch of distinct animations for shooting the grappling hook during certain movement animations, and they're all bad because they delay your shot and you can't actually cancel out of them.

This is weird-rear end game design. ofc Rico moves more like a real human being, but I certainly don't give a poo poo about that. JC3 is full of "flourishes" like that, where looking next-gen apparently superceded gameplay.

Another example would be how fun upgrades are locked behind side-missions, but doing side-missions and unlocking upgrades also forces you to watch gameplay videos that don't load properly. The side missions are that interesting either.

One of the worst examples of what you describe is why motorcycle controls/races are so bad, steering motorcycles is slaved to Rico's leaning animation which induces a significant lag from control input to response both in starting to turn and stopping a turn. Also vehicle handling off road or at any significant speed is terrible because as soon as you hit a bump or a rock or something gravity all but stops working on the car, which makes boat races even worse because boats spend more time in the air than on water with the wave system they have running.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Indiana_Krom posted:

One of the worst examples of what you describe is why motorcycle controls/races are so bad, steering motorcycles is slaved to Rico's leaning animation which induces a significant lag from control input to response both in starting to turn and stopping a turn.

It's even worse because this isn't even realistic - motorcycle lean is controlled via the handlebars, not via body position, and can change drastically very quickly.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

markgreyam posted:

That's why the game sucks, that single element. I wrote like a huge ranting paragraph, and if Game Developer Magazine was still around they could have had an incredible post-mortem article in which this game became the poster boy for endless lovely unfun "trade-off" design-by-committee bullshit because it's full of it.

I'd love it if you could expand on this, because I very much had the sense that *something* was off while playing JC3, but could never quite put my finger on it. (The animation-locking thing below makes a lot of sense, too.) Why, in your estimation, was changing C4 from "limited quantity but ranged" to "infinite but requires placement" the breaking point?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

markgreyam posted:

Because you can't throw C4.

That's why the game sucks, that single element.

For me that single element was the fact that vehicles no longer tumble down hills while spraying parts like crazy. In JC2 it felt like an action movie and was super satisfying. Here not only do they kinda hover in mid-air but you can also control their pitch which feels dumb as hell.

Bring back the JC2 tumble, idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
i spent an untold amount of hours in JC2 dropping in on top of the highest mountain in the desert just so i could fling the one truck that spawns to certain death

• Locked thread