Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I almost felt like I was too specific in my original signup post, but that's probably the best way to avoid getting doubles of stuff for people that have a larger collection. Thankfully for me my collection was small, but I can see how it would be a problem for people who have a ton of stuff.

Also why I didn't buy my santee anything game-related, because I was afraid he'd already own whatever I thought to buy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It felt kind of dickish to say "iunno, whatever" but I really didn't have anything in mind, and what I got was a pleasant surprise. Nowadays all the stuff I know I want that I can't buy immediately is not priced for Secret Santaing, but I'm pretty cool with that since I've gotten some neat surprises even when I was really specific about what I wanted.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

As someone who doesn't play miniatures games but got a minis-focused Santee this year, I'll say that it'd be nice for minis-wanting folks to be a little more specific about their factions/desires, just because they might get a Santa who's totally clueless. Even if it's just "I play (faction) in (game)" or "I could use some more paints" or whatever!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, a year or two ago I finally got around to going into boardgamegeek and putting my whole game collection in there, but that was a pain, I don't think I'm fully up to date any more, and... that doesn't cover stuff like my miniatures collection or terrain or whatever. It's kind of up to each goon though, if you don't mention that you already have settlers of catan, and you don't say you don't want settlers of catan, then you might get settlers of catan. That's the nature of the beast.

I keep my BGG list up to date, which is easy to do when I don't buy games very often, but I also keep my fun miniatures spreadsheet. It's not particularly high tech, but people can copy it if they want to. I should probably switch to ome kind of proper database I can build a website around, but it's been about 20 years since I've even remotely looked at how to use databases.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 31, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rhjamiz, you have a delivery!

NTRabbit, it's probably a different story for minis people who mostly buy/collect figures for one or two specific games, but I've got literally hundreds of minis, including dozens from manufacturers of the late 70s through mid 80s that I've yet to positively identify or attribute to a specific maker. I guess what I'm getting at is there's a threshold where instead of telling people what you have, you just have to break down and tell them what you want, because the latter is a much less time-consuming thing to work through.

As for databases; if you can't do what you want to do using online spreadsheets like google sheets, I guess the next step is MySQL, which you can probably host an instance of on your website if you have a website. It uses pretty standard SQL for queries, so there's tons of web tools for interacting with it. If you don't have a website, there's a bunch of hosts offering free MySQL hosting, just google "free MySQL host".

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
The season of gift giving is upon us here in Taiwan (Lunar/Chinese New Year).

Leperfish, I know you keep going on about the rules being too long, so if you want, I can take a look and see if I can help edit them down. Imported raw into Word, it is about 13 pages long (images imported as BBCode), taking out spaces, extra lines and images brings it down to about nine and a half. I need practice editing anyways, so let me know if you're cool with me taking a stab at it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm a professional technical writer with 16 years of experience editing technical documents, but I'm also ridiculously lazy and you know, it's like what they say about a mechanic's car (never buy a mechanic's car), etc. etc.

So feel free is what I'm getting at :)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hey there! Sorry I haven't checked in with the thread. Been busy with classes and poo poo.

Went to pick up my package from the office, and yep! It arrived. Many thanks to the Canadian goon who sent it to me!

Haul included some local Canadian hot sauces, some small bottles of local mustard, potato chips of questionable flavors (Ketchup? Potato au graten? HMMMM), and a ton of Canadian candy which I will be eating all at once because I have no self control.

Also included were some d6s and a Cheeto-colored Dice set. I don't actually own any dice so that was definitely appreciated! :D

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Wowowow look at what showed up on my doorstep today!!!

(I should get a new comforter at some point so the backgrounds are different)

THANK YOU, KAI TAVE! The story is that the package finally got back around to CSI, and Kai asked them to reship it. I've heard lots of good things about this game, and I'm excited to play!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

woah!

Congrats, Spincut. You're now officially the recipient of the latest TGSS present ever. I wonder what the gently caress the post office did with your present for three months.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey, who knew that when FedEx doesn't just give up halfway through that they can actually deliver a package? Glad it finally made it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The inaugural Tradgames St. Patrick's Day Secret Leprechaun Exchange is lookin' good

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Maybe it did the rounds of the office before someone decided they really should deliver it at some point.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it was sitting on an island with Tom Hanks for a bit?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That's FedEx. It's impossible to forget the product placement if you've seen the film, they contrive to have the literally logo scrolling across the screen in the background during the big reunion scene.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This package was originally sent FedEx, before it was allegedly transferred to USPS for some loving unknown reason and that's around when it disappeared. So maybe FedEx fired Tom Hanks and USPS preemptively hired him without his consent or knowledge.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Otisburg posted:

That's FedEx. It's impossible to forget the product placement if you've seen the film, they contrive to have the literally logo scrolling across the screen in the background during the big reunion scene.

It is a weird advertising campaign where a delivery plane crashes losing hundreds of packages and your business is to safely deliver people's stuff on time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And they just assume the plane is lost and don't send out S&R people to try to recover survivors, or for that matter, investigate the wreckage to determine why the plane crashed, or recover the black box.

Like, FedEx Corporate just sort of shrugs and goes "Welp, big hundred million dollar plane vanished. Two crew missing, presumed dead. poo poo happens I guess" and go on about their days.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

And they just assume the plane is lost and don't send out S&R people to try to recover survivors, or for that matter, investigate the wreckage to determine why the plane crashed, or recover the black box.

Like, FedEx Corporate just sort of shrugs and goes "Welp, big hundred million dollar plane vanished. Two crew missing, presumed dead. poo poo happens I guess" and go on about their days.

After what I went through to ship a simple package overland, this sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's implied that they did, but the plane was off course due to the storm and the sea is really loving big so finding bits of it is super hard even if you know where it is exactly. When Air France 447 went down in the Atlantic, it took two years for the black boxes to be recovered despite the fact that the plane's location was known to a high degree of accuracy. Incidentally, if you fly a lot, the transcripts of that accident are loving terrifying, it shows how experienced crew flying for a flag-carrier airline on a popular route can accidentally push an entirely functional aircraft into the sea in normal weather.

• Locked thread