Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
FILM 2700 Writing Assignment 2: The Nibelungen: Siegfried and Kriemhild's Revenge V3.docx

quote:

Ya’ know, I was gonna sit here and go on some long, rose tented BS about my late dad, but no. Nah. Uh uh. I’m going to get straight to the point: He liked to play PC games (many illegally pirated [This was way back before Torrenting was a thing]). One day he brought home a PC game that he never played. The game just happened to have the same source material as the two films I’m going to talk about :

Die Nibelungen is a duology of silent fantasy films based loosely off of the Nibelungenlied epic poem made in the 13th century. The film was of course written by Lang himself and co-written by Thea von Harbou (his wife at the time). The story of the first film (Die Nibelungen: Siegfried) tells the legend of Siegfried, Prince of Xanten (played by Paul Richter). We meet our hero crafting swords at the “shop” (really a cave of sorts) of Swordsmith Mime. Mime is impressed by Siegfried’s newest creation and is convinced he can teach the headstrong boy no more.

Before leaving Siegfried overhears a conversation about the vast kingdom of Burgundy and of its princess, the fair maiden Kriemhild (the second protagonist of the story, played by (Margarete Schön). Siegfried demands directions to the kingdom, and sets off on a journey to take the young woman’s hand in marriage. The second film, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild’s Revenge deals with the aftermath of the first film. At risk of spoiling I will say the character of Kriemhild becomes a much more tragic, desperate figure, going to disturbing lengths to mete out justice for those who wronged her.
The entire last half of the second film is pure Greek Tragedy, to say the least.
If I had to give a major theme for the duology, it would have to be the concept of revenge. The character of Brunhilde (the vengeful bride of Kriemhild’s brother, King Gunther) seeks it through deception, and of course it’s the entire theme of the second movie (it’s in the title…). To list anymore themes would simply spoil the film. As for the cinematography and style it’s a pure spectacle, delivering what is my opinion the best that the 1920’s had to offer. The dragon in the first film was truly a sight to behold and I’m sure a nightmare to create at the time.

Fritz was truly a master at his craft. There’s a particular shot right before Siegfried fights the dragon that sticks out to me and I’m positive anyone else looking at the film. The shot involves Siegfried staring at the dragon, the camera focused on both Siegfried’s back and the dragon in the distance. This one shot alone is better able to convey to the viewer Siegfried’s fearless nature than any dialogue in the film could possibly do.
Overall I loved these films and apparently, so did Hitler (so good it made him cry)… Yeah… To be blunt I’m honestly not shocked the first film ended up becoming a poster child of sorts for the Nazi Party (the very beginning of the film says “Dedicated to the German people” for crying out loud!).

Paul Richter’s Siegfried is THE quintessential Übermensch, holding all qualities of Ayran “perfection”. As the urban legend goes Fritz Lang was summoned to meet with Joseph Goebbels and was asked to make propaganda films for them (ironically, Fritz was half Jewish).
Fritz declined and of course got the hell out of Germany. And so sayth the legend of the Die Nibelungen Duology: So good it makes Nazi’s cry! If I had to name one thing that relates to a core concept taught in our class in would have to be the use of Mise-en-scène.

Set design has always been in my opinion Fritz’s greatest strength (all one needs to do is look at Metropolis for an example). The use of shadow and lighting on the set design give the viewer an impression of the vastness of Burgundy.

What I took out of the whole thing was… Nothing really (there goes my A..). As I stated before it’s pure spectacle, nothing more. Not to say it’s bereft of any meaningful plot like your average Micheal Bay film, It’s just lacking in any overall idea for me to digest and rethink my reality. It’s the cinematic 1920’s equivalent of a cheeseburger: Not exactly good for you, but you could be eating things alot worse.
All and all, I implore everyone and anyone to watch these films. You’ll be glad you did.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i hate this. write a 1000 word essay on jerry mumphrey's butt

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
What am I reading?

Did I miss the joke?

Overall I find the writing too colloquial, depending on what grade or level of education you're currently in, of course.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cheeseburgers are pretty good imo

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Cheeseburgers are pretty good imo

you really cant go wrong with a cheeseburger. stop tempting me though im trying to have a "cleanse day" :(

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
There goes your passing grade.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Did someone just call a pair of silent movies about a 13th Century German Epic Poem too colloquial? LO fuckin' L.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Toadvine posted:

There goes your passing grade.

We both have Toad names, my friend!

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Ixtlilton posted:

Did someone just call a pair of silent movies about a 13th Century German Epic Poem too colloquial? LO fuckin' L.

The writing, not the films. Too many phrases.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Toadstrieb posted:

What am I reading?

Did I miss the joke?

Overall I find the writing too colloquial, depending on what grade or level of education you're currently in, of course.

Overall it's terribly written.

I imagine the author is a decently smart person who coasted through high school and film 1100 and imagines they can continue to slide by without putting time and effort into their work.

Also addressing professors like they were a peer is annoying.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Toadvine posted:

I imagine the author is a decently smart person

:lol: thanks anyway

truth be told i don't know how the hell i even got a decent grade in this course

if i manage get a B or an A in your course youre probably a poo poo teacher

jus sayin

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Race Realists posted:

:lol: thanks anyway

truth be told i don't know how the hell i even got a decent grade in this course

if i manage get a B or an A in your course youre probably a poo poo teacher

jus sayin

Very interesting subject tho. You could just work on making the writing a bit more academic.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Toadvine posted:

Also addressing professors like they were a peer is annoying.

interesting that you say this, cause in my faculty (and i'd guess most other unis in german-speaking countries), most profs treat students like peers ("herr/frau kollege/kollegin") and expect the same of students (within reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Das Butterbrot posted:

interesting that you say this, cause in my faculty (and i'd guess most other unis in german-speaking countries), most profs treat students like peers ("herr/frau kollege/kollegin") and expect the same of students (within reason)

Some grad programs do this as well and it seems like its about trying to set up this false equality. It's like cmon man you're a doctor and 65 years old you and me are not just buddies, I'm here to learn from you.

• Locked thread