Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

LeadSled posted:

I think I've made this post before, but the USS Greeneville did engage in ship to ship combat.

Guessing the CO played too much SH4 and went around ramming fishing boats in their Gato at flank speed. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Veloxyll posted:

And are ships even armoured to withstand ship-board artillery these days?

I don't believe so. Most ships nowadays don't pack much armor worth the name past Kevlar spall linings for ricochets, if I understand correctly. Not much point, since you can't really armor a ship enough all over enough to tank a modern anti-ship missile and have it stay afloat or have a high top speed at the same time...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 6, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TehKeen posted:

Guessing the CO played too much SH4 and went around ramming fishing boats in their Gato at flank speed. :rolleyes:

Are you going to pretend that bull rushing a sampan wasn't the best part of that game?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Are you going to pretend that bull rushing a sampan wasn't the best part of that game?

No, it isn't. This is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFN9nvFYHmk

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there was plenty of innovation within the RN

mostly in terms of good ship hygiene.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Adventure Pigeon posted:

mostly in terms of good ship hygiene.

Is it really all that innovative to keep the paint clean by not getting it dirty in the first place? Are there little artificial reefs you can go visit now where British ships were conducting firing drills by dumping their quota of shells overboard? Imagine all of that brass! (or other metal)

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

LeadSled posted:

I think I've made this post before, but the USS Greeneville did engage in ship to ship combat.

Goddamn. That sub wont stop ramming things.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Saint Celestine posted:

Goddamn. That sub wont stop ramming things.

She didn't run aground - she rammed the planet.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

TehKeen posted:

She didn't run aground - she rammed the planet.

Last I checked, the attempt was successful. The planet is swamped.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there was plenty of innovation within the RN

Seriously, you could have served on a wooded ship at the start of your career and served on the Dreadnought by the end

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Last I checked, the attempt was successful. The planet is swamped.

BB Terra Class hit! TT *** Atmospheric flash fire! Planet blows up!! ***

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

sbaldrick posted:

Seriously, you could have served on a wooded ship at the start of your career and served on the Dreadnought by the end

Isn't that exactly what happened to Jackie Fisher? For all his faults and critics, some quite deserved, he managed to properly prepare the Royal Navy for a new way of naval warfare and is arguably himself responsible for that revolution. It was he who sheparded the construction and thus feasibility of the HMS Dreadnought.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Although in retrospect listing armor as optional was a bit of a mistake, battlecruisers were still quite good at obsoleting smaller cruisers and a reasonable fit for their job.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Is it really all that innovative to keep the paint clean by not getting it dirty in the first place? Are there little artificial reefs you can go visit now where British ships were conducting firing drills by dumping their quota of shells overboard? Imagine all of that brass! (or other metal)

Very few naval shells would have any brass, as the powder is loaded separately in bags for the main guns. Maybe guns less than 8" would have cartridges?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Speleothing posted:

Very few naval shells would have any brass, as the powder is loaded separately in bags for the main guns. Maybe guns less than 8" would have cartridges?

For the RN, there's a super easy way to tell. BL means it's bagged powder, QF means it's using cartridges.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

Isn't that exactly what happened to Jackie Fisher? For all his faults and critics, some quite deserved, he managed to properly prepare the Royal Navy for a new way of naval warfare and is arguably himself responsible for that revolution. It was he who sheparded the construction and thus feasibility of the HMS Dreadnought.

Also submarines, aircraft carriers, torpedoes.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

oscarthewilde posted:

He did in 1854, so 5 years before the first armour clad ship was launched.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Polishing watertight doors to the point where they're no longer watertight is pretty creative.

More to the point, yeah, there was lots of technological advancements in Britain between the Napoleonic wars and WW1, but the amount of institutional knowledge that was lost, such as the importance of independent thought and action amongst the officers, was much worse and cost them dearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay school is starting soon, we won the war and got Liaotung. I will close the thread and see about getting 1900-1925 archived.

• Locked thread