Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I read Cat in the Hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

I read Cat in the Hat

i didnt finish it. too high concept for me

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like the part in the great dictator speech where he says

quote:

Soldiers! don’t give yourselves to brutes - men who despise you, enslave you, who regiment your lives - tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel! Who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men!

on veterans day i usually tip my fedora to veterans but deep down i'm :smug: as can be becuase i recognize the truth about the military :getin:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Cubone posted:

uh hysterical realist aka recherché postmodernist? it's a genre
sorry you aren't a read booker, turd bucket

I looked up the word recherche and I think it's a good label

the focused and delicate precision with which the narrator expounds on minutiae, mundanity, the absurd, and the vulgar/profane, is similar to the "hysterical" social phenomenon of saying too much to rid oneself of "awkward silence". One feature of our embeddedness in language is that we are always overdetermined. There is always room for our words to mean more than you intend. This can lead to the anxiety of being misinterpreted or persecuted and the feeling of a need to clarify. In effect, the surplus meaning which is the object of that anxiety comes through as the author seems to squash any room for narrative silence or space where the reader can participate.

I think if you like fiction that gives you a lot of excellent imagery but also lets you fill in a lot with your imagination by not spelling everything out, you might find IJ off putting like "when are they gonna get to the point?"

John Cage I believe said "the music is in the silence" and really incorporated this mindset in his work, up to the climax of a piece composed of several minutes of silence. I recently read some Hemingway stories and seeing his negative use of semantic space is brilliant and I think similar to Cage's philosophy.

If that's the case that Hemingway can be compared to Cage, then I would argue that Infinite Jest is like high brow pschedelic death metal

Commie NedFlanders fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 13, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Really glad I went Infiniti instead of Lexus. The extra horse power and better seats are a nice way to pamper myself after a good day's work

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 13, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Hello :cool::cheers:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I'm neither cool nor smart but sometimes people treat me like I am, I was worried for w while that I was actually "retarded" and everyone was being nice

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

Really glad I went Infiniti instead of Lexus. The extra horse power and better seats are a nice way to pamper myself after a good day's work

Nothing quite like Japanese luxury, is there?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
:firstpost:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

corpuscollossus posted:

Nothing quite like Japanese luxury, is there?

Honestly it's less about the luxury and more about the car having a really strong yet controlled and smooth acceleration. I test drove some BMWs and Mercs, but they just felt so off-kilter. I liked the Jag I drove a lot, but the body roll it had was just outside of what I was willing to accept.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
BUT MY GERMAN ENGINEERING :qq:

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Not posting in this thread.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i like your style, OP

i would like to get to know you better

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

i really like teh rick and morty show

feller
Jul 5, 2006

wow I never knew but walruses are way cooler than sharks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Calling out the op on his smarts/coolness, due to rampant misuse of commas.

• Locked thread