Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Where did they get the balls to make a Contemplative Retrospective Making-Of after making what amounts to four moderately OK episodes of the exact same thing as Mr. Show only in 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

An Enormous Boner posted:

Where did they get the balls to make a Contemplative Retrospective Making-Of after making what amounts to four moderately OK episodes of the exact same thing as Mr. Show only in 2015?

I felt the same way only with less vitriol. Even 4 incredibly solid episodes don't merit a "Making Of ____" show. It feels cheap and pointless and a way to go to the public with what looks like another episode. I get it that Odenkirk and Cross are busy, but why bother when they can only quarter-rear end it?

Let me be clear, I think these 4 episodes had a lot of promising moments, but this slapdash effort makes me not want to give a gently caress because obviously no one else does either.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The episodes were great and having four was fine, Mr Show only had that many in its first season. And the making of special was equal parts actual behind the scenes and getting the gang together after all these years stuff which I loved.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love how the pre-credits scenes tie back into a gag later, like the "Americanized Version" of the stuffy British man talking about the dead Beatle.

This show is really good at callbacks if you're paying attention. Before the Albert Einstein sketch they briefly focused on that same picture of him on a Wanted poster, and there are a lot of other little subtleties like that.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Watched all four episodes and enjoyed all of them. My personal favorite bit was the tv court sketch. Don't know why the making of is making some people so angry. It's only a few episodes, but it's for a project that's an evolution of/throwback to a very good show from 20 years earlier, showing them working together again was great. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Periodiko posted:

Yeah, it didn't go anywhere, and if it was just political commentary it seemed weirdly late to the game since a lot of comedy shows did bits about western media being squeemish about the Prophet Mohammed years ago. There were no surprises either. I felt like I was missing the joke.

I think it was playing with the belief that the Jews run Hollywood.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

it constantly shows them spitballing sketch ideas intercut with the sketch, exactly as they spitballed it

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
I'm not one of these people, but there's lots of comedy fanboys who are interested in seeing the process that goes into sketch writing by indie "legends" of the format. Especially with WTF being so popular for all its showbiz comedy scene intrigue etc I'd guess that insider stuff appeals to enough people for a behind the scenes. I don't think it would have been made if they got picked up by a network or cable channel so to me the purpose of episode 5 seems less pretentious.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I like seeing the parts where Paul F Tompkins was trying to entertain the audience while everyone else was preparing for the next sketch.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yep, chalk me up as someone who loved seeing the behind the scenes poo poo

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

X-O posted:

The episodes were great and having four was fine, Mr Show only had that many in its first season. And the making of special was equal parts actual behind the scenes and getting the gang together after all these years stuff which I loved.

Mr. Show only had 4 episodes when it was two young comedians on HBO in 1995. What does that have to do with anything when it's a Netflix show in 2015 and everyone involved is famous/successful? You know they made more/longer seasons of Mr. Show. They're the same people.

I don't even mind 4 episodes (the 5th is stupid) but that's a completely retarded thing to go "well yeah but" about.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Mr. Show only had 4 episodes when it was two young comedians on HBO in 1995. What does that have to do with anything when it's a Netflix show in 2015 and everyone involved is famous/successful? You know they made more/longer seasons of Mr. Show. They're the same people.

I don't even mind 4 episodes (the 5th is stupid) but that's a completely retarded thing to go "well yeah but" about.
Bob is busy writing / producing / starring in Girlfriend's Day and doing Better Call Saul. David's busy doing season 3 of Todd Margaret and the next five Smurfs movie. The other writers and actors are all busy people.

They both said on CBB yesterday that they had a short window where they could all work on these, so they did and now we have four episodes. They just all have more poo poo to do than 20 years ago.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

Bob is busy writing / producing / starring in Girlfriend's Day and doing Better Call Saul. David's busy doing season 3 of Todd Margaret and the next five Smurfs movie. The other writers and actors are all busy people.

They both said on CBB yesterday that they had a short window where they could all work on these, so they did and now we have four episodes. They just all have more poo poo to do than 20 years ago.

That actually makes sense. Saying "Mr. Show Season 1 only had 4 episodes" does not. I love you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did the podcasts they made a few years ago ever get out in the end? I can't remember but I don't think so. From memory they just weren't happy with what they'd made, so I'm glad we eventually got something new. Definitely some great ideas in the four episodes too. As good as the best parts of the original show? No, but that was never going to happen.

I'm looking forward to watching the doc, because watching people I really like at work is a fun thing in my opinion.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Would you have accepted the reasoning that four is the highest number?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I saw that it was trending, at least according to my Netflix, and it seemed like they really enjoyed working together again. I hope there's enough good energy from it to re-visit it in between projects. If anything, the 'Season 1' kind of implies there will be more at some point. I hope so, it's one of the few reunions thats been worth it.

sticklefifer posted:

I've been enjoying this quite a bit. Mr. Show was always hit or miss and I don't blame them for being a little rusty. I hope there's more though, I definitely enjoy it enough to think 4 episodes is way too short.

The little bits of text they have throughout their sketches are pretty funny if you pause them.

Yellin' Ellen Bellman is one of my favorite fake names.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

How is is that everybody else from Mr Show got older, but somehow Mary Lynn Rajskub looks almost the same?

Also where was Jack Black??

I enjoyed it overall. The hit to miss ratio was fine, but when it hit I thought it hit hard.

My favorite skit was the police car check.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I haven't watched the behind the scenes yet, but I got the impression that the live studio audience bits were all filmed on one night. Is that the case?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's crazy how many of those books tossed from offstage almost hit that little kid in the head during the Heaven is For Realz sketch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He really had to swat one away from smacking him right in the face at one point.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The new episodes (aside from the making-of) were just kind of OK to my tastes, but it did get me to give The Birthday Boys another try, and now I've got sketches from the two shows mixed up. I'll remember a good one and go 'Oh right, that was Birthday Boys'.

I'm saying check out The Birthday Boys if you want some more sketch comedy in a similar vein to Mr. Show that can be found on Netflix, if you haven't already done so.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Did the podcasts they made a few years ago ever get out in the end? I can't remember but I don't think so. From memory they just weren't happy with what they'd made, so I'm glad we eventually got something new. Definitely some great ideas in the four episodes too. As good as the best parts of the original show? No, but that was never going to happen.

Bob Odenkirk talked about the podcasts on Comedy Bang Bang and they played some clips. I remembered this when watching the show because one of the clips from the podcast was Rooms: The Musical.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Just finished the 5 episodes last night. Started the first two the night before, and honestly wasn't impressed. Maybe it's because I'm older, but Mr Show had me laughing more than I ever had at a TV show. I thought it was brilliant. I revered it as the pinnacle of comedy. Either my age, or that they were basically using the same 'formula' had me pretty bored. So disappointing! It just felt like the timing was off. I felt like I had got the jokes way too early.

I also found the transitions and little foreshadowing moments all too 'on the nose'. I missed the surprise of Mr Show. You see Bob talking about not spending an entire day doing a transition, and maybe its that work that I missed. I really loved the transitions from the original. Seemed like an odd thing for him to say but at the same time be amazed at all the effort needed to have the pope ride an ATV for a few seconds.

The last two episodes I enjoyed more and felt like they were 'back in the saddle' a little more. I really hope they make more episodes!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

lelandjs posted:

I knew nothing about the show going in (I never watched Mr. Show) so I was pleased that the other writers were able to reel in David Cross' inherent... David Crossness and create a loving hilarious show.

I like David Cross generally but his schtick really seems to be doing offensive, "edgy" things just to do them and that it's inherently funny. There was that scene in the making-of when everybody was sitting around talking about the Heaven is Totes 4 Realz sketch and David had the suggestion that the Prophture Mohaffet and Jesus were lovers and the kid saw them passionately kissing. Bob stopped him and basically said "we can't do this because that's just way too predictable and shocking and doesn't fit in with the tone of the sketch" and David was a little deflated.

But yeah, agreeing that "oval office" and "Traffic Stop" were far and away the best sketches. The interrogation sketch was pretty good too, and it had a lot of Jay Johnston who was always my favorite Mr. Show cast member.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I loved that Jay got to play his usual cop role but ALSO got to be the criminal in the interrogation sketch.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

Would you have accepted the reasoning that four is the highest number?

Ah, fahgeddaboutit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I like David Cross generally but his schtick really seems to be doing offensive, "edgy" things just to do them and that it's inherently funny. There was that scene in the making-of when everybody was sitting around talking about the Heaven is Totes 4 Realz sketch and David had the suggestion that the Prophture Mohaffet and Jesus were lovers and the kid saw them passionately kissing. Bob stopped him and basically said "we can't do this because that's just way too predictable and shocking and doesn't fit in with the tone of the sketch" and David was a little deflated.

But yeah, agreeing that "oval office" and "Traffic Stop" were far and away the best sketches. The interrogation sketch was pretty good too, and it had a lot of Jay Johnston who was always my favorite Mr. Show cast member.

I wonder whose idea it was to change the joke from "Mohamed and Jesus are in heaven kissing" to "Mohamed's in heaven. Don't worry, I meant Mohamed Atta." Because the second pass on that joke is incredible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This was all right. It was nice seeing them back together. :unsmith: I hope they make this a regular thing, even if they probably won't.

sticklefifer posted:

It's crazy how many of those books tossed from offstage almost hit that little kid in the head during the Heaven is For Realz sketch.

I'm guessing those are props that would not crush the child's face if they actually hit him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

David said recently that they (and Netflix) are open to keep doing this but Bob's schedule is extremely busy so it's hard to get everyone together.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

This was all right. It was nice seeing them back together. :unsmith: I hope they make this a regular thing, even if they probably won't.

Good news, friend!

http://www.thewrap.com/david-cross-can-pretty-much-guarantee-more-wbob-and-david/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yaaaaay. :toot:

• Locked thread