Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Sometimes I make weird poo poo. I made more weird poo poo, that is what this thread is about.
Kick it oldschool while drawing poo poo in mspaint if you feel like it - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720223

Quilt 1: Testing http://cookwithkevin.com/saquilt/showquilt.php?id=0
Owner: SSH IT ZOMBIE
Directive: This is only a test. Check out a block, color in the image or maybe draw something or whatever! Have fun!

Original Template:

Quilt that will hopefully auto-update:

How do I do:
This is limited to SA people only right now.

1) Open the thing to edit your SA profile in a new tab http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editprofile
2) You need your SA user id number. Go to the main forums listing page in a new tab, and click your username in the upper left. The URL shows in the top of your web browser. This is mine. http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35844

3) Go to the quilt site http://cookwithkevin.com/saquilt/showquilt.php?id=0 Click New User
4) Follow the instructions. Put your user ID in. Paste the line of garbage into your about me section. Your about me section can only contain that string of text. You can remove it once signed up. It just validates you are an SA user. DO NOT USE YOUR FORUMS PASSWORD. PICK A NEW ONE. The passwords are salted and then sha512 hashed, via standard process, but, no SSL yet. Also it's a piece of poo poo with basic error checking only for security in.
5) Your login is your SA user name, case sensitive, and the password you just picked.

Check out a block, draw it, save as a 32x32 PNG, and upload your masterpiece for the world to see! It is auto-stiched together with everyone else's beautiful work.

Suggested Software for drawing sweet pixel art

Windows or Linux

Mac
  • Pixen - see App store

Other resources
Check out this thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211

Bugs
  • It's poo poo
  • Limited error checking and user feedback, if you upload say the wrong size image or the wrong format, or not an image, the server silently rejects it and nothing happens for you.
  • Quilt image won't update on the editor page, hit refresh sometimes to see others' progress
  • Atomicity issues

Interest?
There's no admin interface right now. I will moderate by hand for the time being. Other people CAN start quilts.
Give me a directive for the quilt, your template image for others to draw ontop of, and your tile width and height. I will inject and post links in the OP to top rated suggestions. Keep open quilts down to 1-2, and probably small for now. Please let's have a working test first.

Maybe this might be fun or interesting? I dunno. Enjoy.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I tried to get an SA Quilt going months ago. Enjoy your 3 page poo poo posting fiesta till this thread is dead and closed like your moms legs

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Windows 98 posted:

I tried to get an SA Quilt going months ago. Enjoy your 3 page poo poo posting fiesta till this thread is dead and closed like your moms legs

It seems like it could be fun, and it is not very time consuming to mspaint a tiny block of an image. :unsmith:

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 14, 2015

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
seems like a pretty timely thread considering everything going on in the world. what do i do again? make a quilt? hold on i need to *starts pulling pants down* *squats*

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

:gas:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
ill join

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ok this doesnt work at all :(

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

nm it worked beautifully

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Windows 98 posted:

in a pefect world, you'd have finished your game and lowtax would have LPed it

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

1gnoirents posted:

nm it worked beautifully

Thanks it is so beautiful I cried

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

in a pefect world, you'd have finished your game and lowtax would have LPed it

In a perfect world my waifu pillow would become a real girl just like in Pinocchio

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Windows 98 posted:

In a perfect world my waifu pillow would become a real girl just like in Pinocchio

do you think Geppetto did the sex with Pinocchio? if so, before? after? both??? ? M

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Windows 98 posted:

Frustrated with a lack of plush waifu intimacy, goon transforms into pillow senpai. You won't believe what happened after that.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Feeble bump for day crew.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Can somebody post a link to the quilt? All I'm seeing in the op is a page with the test image

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

notZaar posted:

Can somebody post a link to the quilt? All I'm seeing in the op is a page with the test image

Hm, you should see two images, one is a test template, the one below is similar but some people put patches on it.

I guess I could start a new one.
For the web site you need a modern browser, it's heavy on new html5 elements.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Good idea op as inspiration and motivation, here is the BYOB Quilt, which is a real actual quilt made over a year ago, which was made by BYOB and then sent to me in recognition of me being the biggest byob dumbass of them all

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Here's some other examples, it's been done on websites that no longer exist
https://web.archive.org/web/20060908210115/http://tiles.ice.org/index.php?display=quilt&quiltID=332
https://web.archive.org/web/20060904041540/http://tiles.ice.org/index.php?display=quilt&quiltID=295

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
So, say, if I started a new image of an MSPaint house, split into 4 patches, 4 people could take a patch, myself included. You can do a lot with it, draw different seasons of the same house, different styles of houses, etc.
Or, video games, could put a pixel art character holding something above his head, someone else would draw what he's holding, and so on.

Or a butt, and someone could draw a dick coming out of it. etc.

I was trying to start with lower effort, smaller pixel-art based quilts, low barrier to entry. Or you can just photoshop images together off the internet for comedy. But it does require a bit of collaboration and trying to match what other people do.

You don't need to be some epic artist to try it. I sure as hell am not, but I try
From the abandoned projects folder:

Main char's not mine, Cicadas! redrew one of mine for me.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 14, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
OK I uploaded something to your quilt but this kind of sucks, its way too small and I dont see a way to download the existing individual patch for easy editing/drawing dicks on. I would recommend giving people at least a 200 px square.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You know what would make this fun? Using some kind of existing drawing tools (like paintBBS) to let people do this on the browser in context of the whole quilt. You gotta think modern, if it's not easy us millenial scumbags aren't going to put in the effort.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
i drew a dick on it, no one steal my idea

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
OK here's an idea that I think has some potential. Based off a drawing game I used to play in high school. Start with a 3x3 paper doll, like this but not poo poo:

Now people can check specific body areas and make collage superheros/monsters/Cronenbergs. Fun!

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

notZaar posted:

OK I uploaded something to your quilt but this kind of sucks, its way too small and I dont see a way to download the existing individual patch for easy editing/drawing dicks on. I would recommend giving people at least a 200 px square.

Updated a thing so it auto-generates a 2x sized image too.
For a test I figured 200px was too much effort for most people. Next one will make bigger squares with fewer patches.

Regarding drawing individual patches - the ACTUAL point is to try to align your dicks with other people's dicks. So that requires more or less doing your editing in the larger image, then cropping it down. Disagree? If you're just editing your own patch there's no good way to align it to others'. So that's why that option isn't there.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 14, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

notZaar posted:

OK here's an idea that I think has some potential. Based off a drawing game I used to play in high school. Start with a 3x3 paper doll, like this but not poo poo:

Now people can check specific body areas and make collage superheros/monsters/Cronenbergs. Fun!

TBH that's a pretty sweet idea.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Please someone connect the foot to the dick so we can have a semi coherent first quilt

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

goatse.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

please no

• Locked thread