Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I kinda love that the final boss is really into the idea of letting you fight him so much so that he's willing to just hang out a bit for you to show up.

Also good call on the akuma x gannondorf design, that's immediately what I thought of too. it's the face, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I really wish Ghirahim had been the final boss. He's so cool and that whole set piece is so good. Buff Ghirahim looks rad as gently caress. In comparison Demise just looks blandly sinister and I HATE his boss fight (although mostly it came from control issues with the wiimote registering sword strikes). Also the fact that you can just like, gently caress off and leave for now and do the final boss fight later really breaks the flow in my opinion.

Ghirahim is one of the best Zelda villains ever and it's a real shame he doesn't get the spot in center stage he deserves. Instead Xande gets brushed aside by the REAL villain, Cloud of Darkness.

Plus Demise never does anything near on the same level of Ghirahim. Sure Demise is trying to devour our friends soul and plunge the world into darkness, but Ghirahim just insulted Groose's hair.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I would say the Master Sword is the antithesis of Demise's sword, whatever it's called, rather than the other way around. Like, Hylia saw Demise's sword/Ghirahim and decided to make her own version of the thing to counteract it.

I liked the idea of this whole thing, but as with other parts of the game, I think it could have been executed better.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Grapplejack posted:

I kinda love that the final boss is really into the idea of letting you fight him so much so that he's willing to just hang out a bit for you to show up.

Also good call on the akuma x gannondorf design, that's immediately what I thought of too. it's the face, I think.

It's the broad nose with the flared nostrils. They literally have the exact same nose!!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

JordanKai posted:

It's the broad nose with the flared nostrils. They literally have the exact same nose!!

They look even more alike when you look at Akuma in his Oni version.

Check some of the pictures at the end of this page and tell me they're not twins.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Everything about the last third of this game feels like they had really big things planned, then ran out of time and shoved in padding instead. A second collectathon, an entire dungeon that consists of rehashes of the previous ones, and a sudden final boss appearance even though Twilight Princess got slammed for that exact same thing.

What feels like should have happened was at the point where you first jumped into the past, Ghirahim followed, popped Zelda out of the crystal and wakes up his boss who starts wrecking up the place on the ground. You retreat to Skyloft in the past, there's a couple dungeons up there where you find the song pieces you earned from the dragons, still do the temple drop somehow (I love the whole returning to it's rightful place thing) and have a crazy duel with the boss at the end where you need to use all your tools to get to him, while Ghiraham pulls a Fi and gives the boss analysis of you and your techniques. I really liked the anti-master sword idea, and was really disappointed it wasn't used in any way but to Worf the villain that hounded you all game at the tail end.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A report, master Demise. I calculate a 90% probability that the puny human will attempt to stab you in your glowing weak spot. I recommend that you attempt to cover it with your armor and prevent him from shattering it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That's actually another brilliant parallel. Fi has been coldly calculating your success rates the whole game. Ghirahim has been 110% convinced you're a nobody who can't do anything

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

pointlessone posted:

and a sudden final boss appearance even though Twilight Princess got slammed for that exact same thing.

Is that really the same, though? I mean, technically we've been fighting Demise this entire time, he's just been inside The Imprisoned.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
In Twilight Princess, we were convinced that we had to defeat Zant to save everything, and that Zant was an imposing, dark figure. Then the game revealed that actually, Ganondorf was around at some point, and then Zant was a wet noodle of a boss that you had to quickly sweep out of the way to go fight Ganondorf in a big, epic duel that you had no emotional stake in because you had seen Zelda literally twice in the game and Ganondorf zero times. At least in Skyward Sword, we've known that Jareth was working towards a bigger goal almost immediately.

It was just hard to take The Imprisoned seriously or connect it to Jareth and the actual plot most of the time.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
If The Imprisoned had been a menacing black miasma that coalesced into Demise instead of a giant muppet, it might have felt more natural. Still I agree that the train goes a bit off of the tracks at the end of the game and things do feel disjointed, as though they had bigger plans but ran out of time, much like Windwaker.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cartheon posted:

If The Imprisoned had been a menacing black miasma that coalesced into Demise instead of a giant muppet, it might have felt more natural. Still I agree that the train goes a bit off of the tracks at the end of the game and things do feel disjointed, as though they had bigger plans but ran out of time, much like Windwaker.

The atmosphere of this entire game is ruined solely and completely by the Imprisoned's goofy-rear end toes.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The atmosphere of the entire game could have been saved by keeping those goofy-rear end toes on Demise when he escapes. :v:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The Zelda series always had elements of bathos attached to it, I mean, it gave us scenes like the revealing the location of The Tower of The Gods in Wind Waker, or Sky Keep and characters like Tingle.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

It's been three years in the making (sort of) but we've finally reached the end of Skyward Sword! To celebrate this occasion today's update is going to be a double feature. In Episode 43 we'll be taking care of Demise and enjoying the happy ending we've worked so hard for. In Episode 44 I'm going to tie up all the loose ends that don't have to do with the main story and also take a look at some minor details that I couldn't fit into the LP itself.

Thanks for sticking with me all this time everybody! I hope you enjoyed the LP. :D

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I totally called Granny being Impa, but I'm kind of sad Groose didn't stay behind with young Impa to keep her company in the past.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I really like the end fight, especially the finishing attack. I think allowing the finishing attack to miss kinda diminishes how awesome it seems, though. Doing that attack, then just seeing Demise roll out of the way kinda takes the wind out of it, and doing the attack a second time just doesn't feel as good. I'd rather the fight have been longer, maybe have a third phase, then finish it all off with a dramatic jumping lightning stab.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
While the controls are bad and Fi is annoying, honestly the thing I find to be the worst in this game are how the items are very narrow in how and when you can use them, and the fact there's only 3 areas to explore in the whole thing. The lack of an open world and their only being 3 zones makes it feel really disconnected and small. If they had made you even able to just walk from 1 area to another without having to go back to the sky I feel that would do a lot to make the world feel whole.

SloppyDoughnuts fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 7, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That ending was really good and that final boss fight might be the best in the series. Demise was really cool and I wish he was in more of the game.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I was surprised that Demise didn't resort to the standard "tennis" attack. I guess that's something he thought up while waiting to pop back as Ganondorf.

However, that really earns a wag of my finger is them letting the Triforce - the magic thingamajig that governs the fabric of reality - just set out there in the open for any schmuck to touch and make a wish! Come on, people!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

That ending was really good and that final boss fight might be the best in the series. Demise was really cool and I wish he was in more of the game.

The big bad not being around for most of the game is kind of a thing Zelda does a lot of the time.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
But Demise was there the whole time, remember? You fought him like, five times between the start of the game and the finale! :v:

Seriously though gently caress the imprisoned.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I saw a Let's play of this by someone else before and this still bothers me now like it did before.

Getting the final best-sword-in-the-game and then needing to do that stupid shield bash just to take out a plant really soured me on it. The problem was that when I was watching the other people play through it I was either watching Chip's Let's play of MGR or I was playing it myself and I wasn't expecting the sword to still do that weird sword thing where they can cut through some things but not everything.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I suppose Gorko doesn't have anything interesting to say if you visit him again after showing him the triforce on the wall?

Anyway, as that ending showed, Demise's soul/evil/hatred/conscience/whatever has been sealed in the Master Sword. That's why the Master Sword works so well in later games. You're fighting evil with evil, and that's always the best solution!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

While the controls are bad and Fi is annoying, honestly the thing I find to be the worst in this game are how the items are very narrow in how and when you can use them

look at all of these wrong opinions

I've already talked about the controls (they worked perfectly for me and made every combat fun and interesting and slightly different as I had to adapt to the enemies) and Fi (she is cute and fun and makes good jokes and I am a sucker for the "robot learns emotions" storyline), but the thing that makes this my favorite Zelda is that, with the exception of the gust bellows, every usable item you get manages to be relevant and useful throughout the game. The beetle stays useful throughout for scouting, cutting things, picking stuff up and just being neat and fun to use, the bow and the bombs are obvious in how they stay good, the clawshots are the clawshots, the whip continues to be used as a way to kill small enemies at range, steal items and flip switches, even the Slingshot manages to stay relevant if you upgrade it to the Scattershot because it can stun multiple enemies at once or take out groups of small enemies like the baby scorpions or whatever. The bug net is used for catching bugs and, as Jordan just showed in this video, is the requisite Zelda "Hey you can use this silly item to distract/defeat the final boss" item of this game.

Skyward Sword having a tight, focused item list where all of them remained useful and it was super easy to switch between them is one of the primary reasons that it is my favorite zelda game, along with the art style and the fact that its cast of characters is stronger than any other zelda game except maybe Wind Waker. It also doesn't have any one part where I'm like "uuuuuuugh I really don't want to do this" like the Zora Eggs in Majora's Mask (mostly that's because I'm afraid of eels) or the Triforce Hunt in Wind Waker.

That's also why I'm very thankful for this LP, because it has stayed positive on the game throughout and I can tell that Jordan and Dex both really like it, whereas the prior 2 LP's of Skyward Sword on the forums seemed to have soured on the game a little by the end.

Edit: Oh no I paused the video to type this and I forgot about the Fi's farewell scene. I teared up when I got to it in my playthrough and now I'm real sad again. Dangit I really like Fi!!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 7, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Fi is the equivalent of a laugh track in a sitcom. If the jokes were good, you wouldn't need a laugh track to tell you that you were supposed to laugh, so it's either redundant or an obvious way to cover up how much they failed at their primary job. Fi is there to recap the conversations you just had, only with a meaningless percentage in there that means nothing because it's always 100% that what you were told is the truth. Fi is the auto-yes to Kaepora Gaebora's "Do you want to hear what I just said again?" speeches. She's Billy West yelling the moral of every episode of The Weird Al Show into your face because ABC thinks you're a total moron who is incapable of figuring out even the least subtle thing unless it's literally shouted at you at top volume. You could remove almost everything she says from the game and not lose anything. How the parting of such a meaningless character still manages to be emotional despite that is a testament to something, but it's not because you've depended on her in any way.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
This ending always gets me in the feels.

The Demise fight definitely is one of the more epic feeling final battles, but it really could be a bit longer. He goes down way too easy.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Thanks for LPing one of the only Zelda games I've never played.

Now get to work on editing that into all your videos.

edit: Adjusted the title, but "pompadour" was too long.

Ethelinda Sapsea fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 8, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Fi's departure kind of reminds me of F.L.U.D.D's departure from Super Mario Sunshine. You have what's essentially a machine who's helpful in some aspects but is kinda annoying at the same time, then at the ending of the game, the machine pulls an emotional moment at the end that somehow humanizes it.

Then again I never owned Sunshine so my recollection of F.L.U.D.D may be kind of off.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
More like Skyward Pompadour.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
One thing I really wish this game did was have you fight a boss in Sky Keep for each Triforce piece - a shadow version of Zelda, Link, and Ganon fighting you for each one would've been really great.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

One thing I really wish this game did was have you fight a boss in Sky Keep for each Triforce piece - a shadow version of Zelda, Link, and Ganon fighting you for each one would've been really great.

But but but the timeline...!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I did not like Fi, or Fi's scene in Episode 43. I mashed A through all of her dialog so I could get it out of the way sooner when I played this game.

She's bad, her arc is weak, her characterization was poo poo, and her mechanical inclusion was annoying, and I pray for the day that 3D zelda games stop loving around with the concept of Helper Characters needing to be in every game since Navi, or have any more inclusion in the story than just being an optional Helper Character that can quickly recap where you need to go or what you need to do when fighting certain enemies.

Tatl was good purely because of characterization and hands-offness, KORL was good because he was a boat made of paternity, Midna toed the line for over-inclusion into the story but only managed to pull it off through good characterization. Fi has no personality nor good characterization, and she's wedged into every moment of the plot to slowly bust out a line or two with probabilities and blatant signposting.

If Fi would undergo an actual personality change, like Groose's maturation, or Ghirahim's cracking resolve, or Midna's gradual softening toward Link while they fight for her cursed kingdom, or Tatl's gradual growth of empathy as they learn the consequences of their actions in the greater world while fighting to get back to Tael, it would be interesting and great! Instead, she gets the same resolution as the T-800 from Terminator 2, complete with a loving "I know now why you cry"-level eyeroll-worthy line at the end, but with absolutely zero development actually earned through conflict to justify her words. It's insultingly saccharine for a character whose character arc means nothing for the game in any way, and does not even come up until the scene where you fridge the character for quite literally the entire rest of the series.

As it stands, Fi is a poorly-implemented, overbearing, impersonal shell of a character that is treated with the same weight as the rest of the cast despite contributing nothing to the game, save for acting as a foil to Ghirahim and making me annoyed at the sight of somebody quantifying probability by using percentages.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Great LP Jordan, but what if Link simply wasn't strong enough to save the world

What if all hope was lost, without the master sword how can we kill Demise

Who will save us

Who is he? Just a man who is a knight for fun.

Will Ghirahim and Demise ever shut the gently caress up?

Massive thanks to Akogare Zephyr for letting me comission them with this dumb idea, and for the rest of you consider this:

Fi = Genos, you're welcome.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That ending hit me right in the

Fi-ls

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

It's a good thing the LP is over, because nothing can top that. :golfclap:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fledge forgets its special sales day in the bazaar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Great LP Jordan, but what if Link simply wasn't strong enough to save the world

What a beautiful way to close the LP. Thank you so much! :neckbeard:

peterjmatt posted:

Thanks for LPing one of the only Zelda games I've never played.

And this is great too. Thank you both!

• Locked thread