Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Old Man Wiprecht

Wiprecht had decided it would be better to stay outside the triage station / fresh corpse factory. He was quite certain the priestesses there would not be happy about having a smelly old wizard walking among the sick.

We should probably go meet the Watch Captain and hand him all the Apothecary's research stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I apologize for the delay; I was hospitalized for a week and have been spending the last two weeks in recovery. I will update this game again very soon.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Cavendish Locke, V.I.

Cavendish sighed, and picked up the bundles of research notes. "Go in peace, sister. I will tell Watch Captain Nierhaus his daughter yet lives. Come on lads, we've got some work to do before we can rest.

No worries, feel better soon! I think going to the watch captain is the agreed-upon course of action.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
With a goal in mind, the group sets off towards the Wizard's Way, intent on seeing the captain. The route there is simple but stressful; zealots still roam the streets, looking to put people to the torch for any signs of infection. It takes half an hour to reach the guardhouse from the docks, and there the adventurers are stopped by questioning guards. When someone in the group states they know of the apothecary, Widenhoft, and know of his research, the guards turn pale.

After a moment of deliberation the guards nod and lead the group away from the guardhouse, towards a little building on an offshoot from the main way. Two huge guards stand outside a doorway that appears to be made of heavily reinforced and iron-banded oak. Both of them give the group a menacing look before one turns and pounds on the door with a series of varied beats, an obvious code. The sound of bolts sliding come from the other side of the door, and the door opens only part way before catching, allowing only one person in at a time.

The room beyond is made of dark slate taken from the Taalbaston, and strongly resembles a jail cell, with no windows and a single flickering lantern on the ceiling. Forced to enter one by one, the first man through is surprised by Nierhaus, who stands in an alcove behind the door, a pair of finely engraved pistols drawn and pointed at them. He gestures with a pistol towards the far wall, and once the last of the group is in, shuts the door with his foot, moving to stand in front of it with his pistols leveled. He keeps one trained specifically on Wiprecht, while the other roams across the group. He looks at each of the group in turn, narrowing his eyes at Aelphas and giving Jakob an odd look.

"I know of you, elf, and I know your family, Ser Jakob, but of what I know neither of you are rightly trustworthy. But the rest of you, I don't know any of you. You lot are no agents of Talabheim. Who are you and what do you want?" The captain stands stock still, his face stony and his fingers hovering on the triggers of his pistols.

Rough week but we're back on track! There may be another delay in the future when I move back to my home town; apparently this is the quarter of the year where everyone in my family is hospitalized.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Jakob

While he could very easily see why Nierhaus would be so paranoid, what with everything around him falling apart, Jakob does get just ever so slightly insulted when the man implies the halfling isn't trustworthy. But pistols have a way of preventing objections. "We're here because we went to see Apothecary Gotthard to find out if there was any way he could help us, but we found the man dead. He wasn't murdered, he was assassinated. From what we found in his house, you knew what he was working on, which also means your own life is in danger." The knight shrugs after a beat, "Well, more in danger than normal, anyways. We came here to offer our help, since it seems Gotthard was working on a cure and I'd rather not let my home be overrun by rats while it's people die of whatever this damnable disease actually is."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Cavendish Locke, V.I.

"Watch-Captain, it is good to see you. I wish we had better tidings. I am a devotee of Verena, and came to this city to meet with the priests here on temple business. Given the situation, I decided to consult with the apothecary Widenhoft, a man of no small reputation amongst my circles! But unfortunately, we found him slain by unknown assailants. They did not realize that his true wealth was his research, which we have recovered. He had some promising leads, and I was hoping to find someone who might be able to replicate his conclusions! Alas, the Shallyans felt that they were unable to assist me. Although Widenhoft's ability far outstrips my own, I can certainly try, as long as I have a place to work. Once again, I my hope is that the Temple to Verena may have decent facilities! At any rate, you commissioned this study, so it belongs to you. Although, whomsoever follows up on this research had best be guarded well, since Widenhoft's death was exceedingly suspicious."

Going to try and charm him into letting me and my bodyguards into the city, I guess? Offering to try and continue the research project with my smarts, if he doesn't have any spare apothecaries to continue the study. charm the watch captain: 1d100 45 v. 61, although I forget what our current disease malus is. Not letting on that we're carrying, because germ theory is rank superstition at this tech level.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The captain is an average sized man, with penetrating blue grey-eyes and a gaze that locals know can make all but the strongest man look away and feel small. His light blond hair is close cropped and thinning at the top, but little else betrays his age. Upon hearing that the herbalist is dead, the captain's eyes go wide and he turns visibly pale, stepping back and slumping against the wall. He lowers the pistols in shock, his stare looking miles away from the little meeting in the cell. His voice is weak and full of dread when he speaks. "They know. Taal's blood, they know.." He trails off, before looking back at Jakob with horror. "The rats who walk as men. They know."

He shakes his head, snapping back to his serious demeanor. "You mentioned his research. His notes, you have them?" He waits for affirmation before running a hand through his hair, holstering his pistols. "You must get into the city with those notes, but it can't be by Wizard's Way." The captain paces for a moment before turning back to the group. "There is a man named Eladio. Estalian. Ask for him at the docks. Tell him Nierhaus says, "They must ride the Dragon's tongue." In the city, seek out an apothecary by the name of Daubler."

Without giving the group a chance to respond, Nierhaus turns and bellows for the guards. "These gentlemen are leaving." He looks back to the group, tears forming in his eyes. "Go! All our lives are forfeit if you don't do as I say. They will know or at the least suspect something. May Taal have mercy on your souls." He stands aside as the group is ushered out, and the last glimpse Jakob sees of the man is him looking thoughtfully at one of his pistols, his expression distant and sad.

Everyone is ushered away with haste and pointed back towards the docks from whence they came. It seems that entry to the city isn't too far away. For the elves and anyone with the keen hearing talent: In the distance, back towards the jail cell, you hear the report of an Imperial pistol.

RAILROAD TOOT TOOT, you guys are on the right track again.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Johann

"Well, he was very to the point," Johann comments aloud once everyone is back out, the witch hunter starting the walk to the docks. He taps fingers on the head of the axe hanging from his belt loop, if just to perhaps act as more of a deterrent to any of the fanatics running about. "Rat-men, hm? Like we saw the tracks of. Mutant filth."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Aelphas/The Watchman

Upon staring down the watch captains pistol Aelphas goes still. So this is how it ends, he thought, shot by some damned paranoid human. Before he can speak and try to defend his fake honor, one of the others speaks of the apothecary's work, and the man's demeanor changes. Before Aelphas can even get over the shock of having a pistol drawn on him, he's ushered back out of the room, and told to trust some stranger on the dock to get into the city.

Aelphas was still disappointed he'd yet to hear back from one of his Night Watch about smuggling them into the city, though at this rate, who knows how many were dead from this foul disease. If they could find a cure, he'd have to try and get it to his sister of course, but then to his mean and women. Things were going to get worst before they got better, and The Night Watch might be in a good position to take advantage of the confusion.

Gonna play this poo poo like the Division, turn the Night Watch into more well behaved Rikers.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think this is where I need to drop out, gentlemen. I've been too busy in the process of buying a house to keep up with all my PBPs and I'm not really keeping up with this game in particular like I should. I feel like I haven't been really invested in this game in general compared to Dyne's OW or Black Crusade games. If you have someone lined up to take over for my character it's fine, otherwise I'm probably just going to stay behind with the healers to try and help there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Cavendish Locke, V.I

Cavendish had sailed the Reik for many years, but could not figure what the Captain had meant by "riding the dragon's tongue". Probably some new slang. "Gentlemen! Dark games are afoot, and I mean to see this through. These notes must be delivered to someone who can use them; I fear that my medical training is insufficient to conduct this research myself. I will take them into the city, and would be honored if any of you would join me, but I would not begrudge any of you who decides to go see to your hearth and home in these uncertain times," Cavendish announced.

Common Knowledge Empire: 1d100 80 No idea what the dragon's tongue is.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Olivid Ole

Olivid walks behind the group in a slump. Conspiracy, beastmen and the whole drat county on the knife edge of riot. Probably be a fascinating study in crowd dynamics if he wasn't in the middle of it. His head snaps up at the retort of the gunfire, and he turns back to the guardhouse putting a hand to one ear to try and catch what came next. Silence followed by shouts and loud consternation but no more gunfire or screams. He shakes his head and hurries to catch up with the others.

"I hope none of you had plans to speak to the Captain later. I think the despair was too much for him."

Hopefully better to be in there than out here.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Old Man Wiprecht

Wiprecht has been mostly ignoring the unusual death and decay in the city as thats how he has always seen the city to be, a filthy den of death and corruption.

Wiprecht perks up after Olivid's comment "Dammit, thanks for reminding me. I was supposed to ask him about tons of stuff"

"Do you think hes still there if I go back for a few?"

Sormus fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 26, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Olivid Ole

"Are you practised at speaking with the dead? I assume that gunshot was his anyway, the level of confusion that followed without him yelling suggests as much to me."

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Snorri

"It looks like the rat-kin's work is done without them ever laying a finger on the Captain," Snorri says, shaking his head. "I look forward to teaching those vermin a lesson."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Jakob

"Well, guess it was best we didn't bring his daughter with us, although she'll have to learn what happened eventually." Everything just kept getting worse, and now the knight was completely drained. At least they still had some direction, otherwise Jakob might very well have just found some not-quite ruined hovel to sleep in. Wouldn't be the first time he's had to do that. "Right, seems we only have one option, so lets go find that Estalian man at the docks. I'm starting to think the city itself is probably just as bad, but we don't really have anywhere else to go."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Johann

Johann glances behind them. The captain shot himself? So the elf is reporting, anyway. No real matter. In the end, the captain was found weak of mind and faith.

• Locked thread