Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Problem description:

I upgraded my PC a few weeks ago and it's running really well, aside for in Guild Wars 2. For the first week it ran fine, and now it runs fine up until 5-10 minutes in when the monitor goes into "power saving" mode. I can still hear the game playing in the background, just the monitor turns off.

I can run everything else no problems, most recently i've been on Fallout 4 on max everything and such. I've googled and found people having similar issues - with other games - with monitors powering down due to either overheating or a PSU issue but it doesn't seem to be either of these - the PSU can handle the system no problems and is new itself, and the computer never gets up to ridiculous heats at all. I've also looked on the GW2 forums and there's no info that pertains to my situation.

Attempted fixes:

I've tried lowering graphics settings to bare minimum and it doesn't make a difference - I can play for a bit then it shuts off the monitor. I've also tried with another monitor and tried both using the HDMI connector and the standard VGA one.
I have ran the dell service tool just to see if there's any basic thing wrong that I could be missing, but it's all fine.

Recent changes:

I have updated my GPU, PSU and hard drive to an SSD, but after doing this I still had no issues with it up until this weekend.

--

Operating system:

Windows 10, 64 bit

System specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Corsair 600w PSU
8GB ram though i'm not sure the type

If additional spec information is needed it can be found here - http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/57vht4j/configuration?s=BSD - under the current configuration tab.

UK

I have Googled and read the FAQ:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
What model of monitor do you have? Do you just have the single monitor?

Edit, just saw your post about using a different one,

Could you link the model of the one you are using anyway.

Have you also tried connecting the monitor to the motherboard as opposed to the GPU to test if it does the same thing?

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 19, 2015

• Locked thread