Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Welcome to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the shadows. A game that was developed by Red Fly Studios and published by Activison.

The game itself is based off the current Iteration of Ninja Turtles which is produced by Nickelodeon. Which is the version I'm most familiar with since I was not a fan of the 2003 turtles
because it was way too serious for my liking even though it more closely followed the source material in that regard.

The show itself is pretty good once it gets rolling and does have some serious moments to offset the sillier parts. Hell unlike the 90's turtles where shredder was somewhat near ineffectual in this one he's more than capable of administering a beatdown in a 5 on 1 battle.

But I'm getting too far off point here.

Now this game does have it's problems such as the online multiplayer being so broken that you would need to fiddle with Hamatchi to even invite friends in to play and even though the game can be played with single player the bosses are geared towards co-op when it comes to the amount of health that they have.

That being said I still like this game and it has it's moments..

The LP
This will be a semi-blind run. Much like Deadpool. I have played this game before but never actually beat it, although the stopping point for me was way earlier than it was in Deadpool.
When I comes to collectibles, I will try to get them as I find them but this will in no way be a 100% run. Just a fun little stroll through what might be an underrated game that caught a whole lot of flack for having a near non-functional multiplayer mode on release that's still broken two years later.

Spoiler Policy
Simple enough. When it comes to the game don't spoil anything unless it already happened in game. However feel free to talk about the other games, shows and comics.

So join me on this adventure as we play as more realistic looking turtles who are also ninjas.

Episode Listing
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Prelude and Chapter 1 part 1
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 1 Part 2
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 2 Part 1
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 2 Part 2
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 2 Part 3
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 3 Part 1
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 3 End, Chapter 4 part 1
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 4 Part 2
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Super Shredder
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Arcade Mode part 1

Doseku fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Neat, I recently started playing this too. Looking forward to the discussion.

Tablet posting so I am not gonna type much out right now, but are you wanting to attempt doing some broken-rear end multiplayer? I could be up for that and know entirely too much about TMNT.

edit: Back at a keyboard so I can provide some actual words now.

I find this game to be very unusual when compared to most tie-in products to an existing TV show/movie/whatever. It seems like it's taking place within the universe of the current Nick cartoon, but years later. April is clearly older, the TMNT seem like they may be as well but it's harder to tell. They've somehow grown nostrils, which I can only imagine is something where they were given some kind of concept art for what the then-upcoming bay movie was going to look like and they went with that, but otherwise they are still "dressed" just like the cartoon. However the actual timeline / history doesn't really make much sense of course, as there were various things that happened on the show they were not or could not be aware of as they hadn't happened yet, so either these things never happened in this game or somehow things went back to a early-show status quo years later. I mean, I certainly HOPE the show doesn't plan to continue Donatello's April crush that drat long, as it's already pretty old. And of course various things about the status of the various villains and their factions blah blah blah. Obviously I'm overthinking this but it's an interesting little mental derailment anyway.

I agree that the comics are indeed quite bad, mostly because there's no reason to have bad TMNT comics in a video game, as you could just hire one of the many actual TMNT comic artists. I don't really get that choice at all, I suppose it was probably cheaper/quicker to just hire whoever did these when compared to animating them as cut-scenes, I guess.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 17, 2015

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we continue our fight against the purple dragon gang.

:siren: TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 1 Part 2 :siren:

As for the multiplayer I can look into setting it up again for some of the boss fights. The main problem is that it is kind of a hassle to setup since you need to create a virtual lan via something like hamatchi due to the fact that you can't connect any other way. Another problem is that all players must be at the same point in the game.

For example let's say the host was in chapter two or three, well then the friend who wants to join must also be at that chapter before he is able to join the game. The next problem is the checkpoints. When the whole team wipes you end up getting shunted back to the lobby with no chance to continue from where you left off. So I'm not sure if the game makes you restart the whole chapter again or not. The last major problem I found was that the in-voice chat couldn't be turned off even when it was turned off in steam which led to a lot of echoing among when we were using skype to talk to each other and then heard them over the game chat a couple seconds after.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, that sounds like a total nightmare then.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo that UI is bad, less is more sometimes drat. I do like the turtles' overall design though, they look pretty good. It's sad they didn't go with surfer dude/Brooklyn tough guy for Mikey and Raph, however.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we upgrade our turtles and go into the sewer level.

:siren:TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 2 Part 1:siren:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
In today's episode we get introduced very briefly to a new enemy type. Will you see them anywhere else. Who knows?

:siren: TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 2 Part 2 :siren:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Some stuff came up. So i'm putting this on pause for the time being. I will get back to it when I have more time.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 2 Part 3
It's time we fought the mouser menace.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
April has been captured. It's time to go out and save her.

TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 3 Part 1

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think this is just about as far as I got when I played this before too, weird!

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
I'm a big stupid man child who has been into the Turtles since I got a hold of the first comic. Actually didn't like the 87 cartoon very much because I had access to the comics first. This game I found to be a little bit disappointing because they were going for a free flow combat style like the Arkham games but it's just not as fluid. Still a fair game for the 10 bucks I paid for it.

2003 Was probably the best cartoon series, though I haven't actually watched the Nick cartoon, the animation style and over use of anime sweat bubbles and whatnot in the premier turned me off. I don't really understand why they always feel the need to call the Utrom something else, it's not as if they're just some throw away design.

At the very least they've been keeping the Purple Dragons around in a pretty standard capacity since the 2003 series, it took a surprisingly long time for them to be introduced outside of the comics considering they're introduced on the first page of the first Mirage comic.

Anyhow, enough turtle sperging for now. Good to see someone LP this game, I'd been considering it after I put together my new computer.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Glad you are enjoying the game.

TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 3 End, Chapter 4 part 1

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we delve deeper into the TCRI complex and deal with the most amount of hacking mini-games yet.

TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Chapter 4 Part 2

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Super Shredder

And so our journey ends in a plot that wasn't really told anywhere in the game. What started as a save April mission ends in the confrontation of the shredder and his new weapon that we find out he was building in the final chapter.
Anyway thanks for sticking with me through this I know it wasn't the best of playthroughs considering I kind of suck at combos and such but I hope you guys enjoyed it.
There should be about one more video remaining that will show off the classic arcade mode and we will get to see the concept that we picked up throughout the game.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Hi. Just giving a quick update. I haven't forgot about this game.
I have the last bits of it recorded and will have the first part of the extras up this weekend. We'll be looking at the concept art and arcade mode.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
:siren: Update:siren:
Today we look at Concept art and start into the game's arcade mode.

TMNT: Out Of The Shadows - Arcade Mode part 1

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished this game myself the other day. I still never really clicked into the battle system. I don't think I'm gonna bother with the achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If you're still keeping this going, Doseku, I'm interested in future adventures in Arcade Mode, assuming you can get there.

It really strikes me that you'd be paying the price of a full game just for arcade mode 20 years ago, and now it's just an extra feature running on the same high-test graphics engine as the base game.

• Locked thread