Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ok yeah so that isn't true at all they are actually different things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

How is refugee a word that just was invented this year?

Any word could have won.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
yikes

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the OED needs that sweet twitter recognition. if they fold, how are we gonna know which words are words?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Respect th OED

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

dad gay. so what posted:

welcome to the end of the world. i for one, am glad of it.

pretty much yea

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

dethkon posted:

How is "😂" pronounced, according to this gay dictionary?

This, a million times this.

Human language is speech, the written form is only a partial and somewhat inaccurate representation of it. That's why stuff like punctuation and braille aren't thought of words/languages, but rather as written symbols.
This is just pandering to idiots, and it's a shame that the most comprehensive and scientifically sound etymological dictionary tries to remain relevant using these methods, especially since it doesn't need it. I'm hoping it was just an idiotic move by someone in their social media department, rather than an actual linguist, because god help us if that's not the case.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it should have been Shitcunt

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
the word of the day is :goatsecx:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
gently caress OXFORD, PIECE OF poo poo DICTIONARY CAN'T EVEN USE WORDS TO DESCRIBE HOW THEY FEEL WHEN THEY REALIZE THEY SUCK SO MUCH

sorry about caps but I'm upset about the internet :tem:

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

So next year are they changing the title to Oxford Pictionary?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
If u think about it emojis are p much hieroglyphics

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
people that are mad about emojis are gay as hell

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i think poster BFM ended this thread. peace

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Business Octopus posted:

people that are mad about emojis are gay as hell

You should've used a furious gay Satan emoji to express this thought, instead of all those cumbersome words. D-, see me after class.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

i am glad we have come full circle and can embrace the wonder and power of egyptian hieroglyphic technology in the year 2015 :yosbutt: :yayclod: :yosbutt:

Unless I'm remembering it wrong, Egyptian hieroglyphs had meanings that rarely if ever related to the picture in it. The glyphs stood for sounds you put together, not for the thing pictured. It was an actual language, not just pictionary.

So, y'know, yeah, this is worse.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I just realized, this definition suggests the dictionary is unfamiliar with the definition of dictionary. It's such a perfect gently caress-up, like a fire station burning down...

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
To thin k it all started here

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I'm seriously wondering how long we have until emojis will be acceptable to use in academic papers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I still mostly use text emoticons when I feel like using them, I always feel like the picture ones look so awkward.

It's also loving impossible every time I try to be hip and add an emoji to something. I just want to be like, : / or D : but I click on that emoji button and have to parse 83 faces, 20 of which are weird cat things and 10 are some kind of inscrutable relationship thing.

I've even tried typing a bunch in and getting Siri to read it to me because it's impossible to determine meaning from these things. You know exactly what : P means, wtf are these: 👵🙆🤑

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

:gary:

Can't wait for some nut in education to declare emojis are a legitimate language and classes must be taught in it. Remember ebonics?

What's the over/under on this happening. 3 years?

• Locked thread