Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Bloo
Mar 20, 2009
Problem description: I recently updated my parent's pc. They were running vista sp1, so I hit the automatic update to install sp2, just to bring it slightly more up to date. it went through the usual desktop install, then the "installing pack 1 of 3" and actually reached 100%. it then restarted, and said "install failed, reverting changes", no big deal I thought.

The problem is that it's now stuck in a loop of "reverting changes" to "shutting down" and then reboots right back to "reverting changes" again. I've let it run for a while, but it seemed to be an infinite loop.

Attempted fixes: Google suggested using a system restore point via f8 on boot. This just brings me back to the reverting changes page. Other solutions I've found involve using safe mode/ command prompt but if I choose those options it never gets to safe mode/command prompt, just back to the reverting changes loop.

Recent changes: None, save clicking automatic updates.

Operating system: e.g. Windows Vista Home Premium sp1

System specs: this is an old home built pc. I will try and drag up the specs and edit in Asap. Seems unlikely to be a hardware issue but will get the specs as soon as I can.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Post a screenshot of Crystal Disk Info

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Do you have a Windows disk you can boot from? If you boot from the installer disk then you should be able to do a system restore from there.

• Locked thread