Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

psychokitty posted:

That is beyond pretty good, IMO, and I wasn't even there! Super awesome concept and execution!

I'd been waiting to post mine because in our haste I didn't get pie pics, but I think my stepdad did. I can post those later.

We have an indecisive thanksgiving. My mom and I found some great recipes years ago for stuffing and gravy, and instead of deciding between two, we always make both. So, two kinds of stuffing, two kinds of gravy, two kinds of cranberry sauce, and two kinds of pecan pie. The cranberries are because some people HAVE to have that canned jelly poo poo, and the pecan pie thing is because we make one regular and one K&W Cafeteria german chocolate. We also had cinnamon-free pumpkin pie (YUM).

Clockwise, starting at the front: sage sausage focaccia stuffing (with a big strip of turkey skin on top, see below), from scratch green bean casserole with wild shrooms and frizzled leeks, cranberry chestnut cornbread stuffing, turkey, thyme gravy, pear gravy, orange cardamom mashed sweet potatoes, an empty plate to be filled for an appreciative garage attendant (he picked us out of the whole building), a can of cranberry goo, ginger molasses cranberry relish.

One of the stuffings, the sage sausage focaccia, gets stuffed under the skin of the breast meat to keep it juicy. This year my mom watched Alton Brown's tutorial on how to carve a bird and we had a properly carved turkey for the first year ever.

Holy crap!

I used to LOVE that jelly cranberry "sauce" but then I found the Trader Joe's kind. That was great, until I made my own this year.

I've made it twice since then, I don't think I'll ever be able to have anything but homemade again.

This is an astonishingly lovely feast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I'm envious of the good looking food. drat fine stuff.

Turkey Tetrazzini is, was, terrible. Give the hostess credit, she didn't simply shred leftover turkey, pour canned soup over spaghetti stir and serve. No, she forgot to get soup, used watered down stock, added a bag of frozen vegetables and if there was turkey in it, it escaped my plate. Silently she handed me salt and pepper.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Cavenagh posted:

Turkey Tetrazzini is, was, terrible. Give the hostess credit, she didn't simply shred leftover turkey, pour canned soup over spaghetti stir and serve. No, she forgot to get soup, used watered down stock, added a bag of frozen vegetables and if there was turkey in it, it escaped my plate. Silently she handed me salt and pepper.

You should've taken a picture.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Wouldn't want to encourage the idea that it's picture worthy. Might end up seeing it served again.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Finally got our pictures up from Thanksgiving:

https://goo.gl/photos/is1wnSeicSFYs61H6

Deboned lamb legs, stuffing (dressing?), smoked cheddar and thyme drop scones, mashed potatoes, veg gravy, green beans, and a nut roast.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I think I'm going to make Beef Wellington for family Christmas. I've never made anything this big and fancy before, so I'm a little scared but I want to make something extra special.

This recipe looked pretty good to me:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-beef-wellington-ultimate.html

but probably with pate instead of foie gras slices. I'm going to do a practice run in a week or so I think. Does anyone have pointers/modifications/suggestions?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Jennifer Patterson does it with shortcrust pastry for the bottom crust, so that you avoid soggy bottoms. She'll still drape puff pastry over top, but the bottom is a lot more stable, being baked shortcrust.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Guys. GUYS. Need something relatively low-effort that will absolutely blow everyone's minds at the office party anyway?

CHRISTMAS TREE MERINGUES.

I, an actual fumble-fingered idiot, made these tonight and mine were every bit as cute as the ones on pinterest (allowing for crappy lighting and my android phone).

(they're greener in person)

quote:

Ingredients
4 egg whites at room temp
1 Cup granulated sugar
pinch cream of tartar
⅛ tsp almond extract (I substituted mint because why would you make a green thing almond when you can make it mint, whether or not it's Christmas)
green gel food coloring
multi color sprinkles
star sprinkles
frosting of your choice (we used royal icing because it was there)

Instructions
Heat oven to 200 degrees. Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a bowl of your stand mixer. Place bowl over boiling water on the stove. Whisk vigorously until sugar dissolved and there are no more sugar granules visible. Remove from heat and whisk in extract.
Using the whisk attachment on stand mixer, mix on medium high until egg whites become bright white but still runny. Add in food coloring to the color you want and continue to beat to form stiff peaks.
Place mixture into piping bag with large star tip. Pipe cookies onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Make cookies about 1 inch in width, 2 inches high and place 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Sprinkle with the multi color sprinkles.
Cook for 2 hours. After 2 hours, turn off oven, open door slightly and let sit in oven an additional 2 hours. (we forgot this last part and they came out fine anyway)
Place the star sprinkles on top with a tiny dab of frosting. Serve and enjoy!

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I'm making truffles as Christmas gifts but have a relative who doesn't care for sweets. Anyone have any ideas for a savory truffle analog? It doesn't have to be too truffle-like, just a quality homemade thing that could be easily shared, transported, wouldn't have to be eaten immediately, and could be eaten 'as-is.'

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Dark chocolate truffle with chillies. Or sea salt. Anchovies might be step too far.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Never really made truffles, is goat cheese an option here? A little honey and a walnut brain should be good with it

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Sex Hobbit posted:

Guys. GUYS. Need something relatively low-effort that will absolutely blow everyone's minds at the office party anyway?

CHRISTMAS TREE MERINGUES.

I, an actual fumble-fingered idiot, made these tonight and mine were every bit as cute as the ones on pinterest (allowing for crappy lighting and my android phone).

(they're greener in person)

Those are super adorbs!!!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I made peppermint bark snowflakes! First time working with melted chocolate, but they turned out okay for the most part.

I do have some questions for more experienced chocolatiers though,

-Should I add oil to the chocolate when melting? After it was melted, it was soft but not pour-able. Would oil help with that?

-The texture of the white chocolate was great, but the semisweet chocolate on the bottom layer had kind of a crumbly, grainy texture to it (still tasted good though). You can kind of see it in the 2nd picture, there's crumbly bits and air bubbles in the chocolate, unlike the gorgeous glossy texture I've seen in other pictures like this one. Is there something I should do in the process to prevent that?

I melted the chocolate using a mixing bowl over a pan with an inch of boiling water.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
It got that weird texture because you managed to break the temper of the chocolate. How long did you leave the chocolate over the heat after it was melted?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It was on the heat for probably like 5 minutes. I also realize now that I should probably use a thermometer when doing this.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Jmcrofts posted:

It was on the heat for probably like 5 minutes. I also realize now that I should probably use a thermometer when doing this.

Not a bad idea - you can get a cheap candy thermometer at most grocery stores these days. The snowflakes are still super cute.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

My brother is super into making his own pasta. I was thinking about getting him some squid ink packets and stuff of that nature that he can use. I haven't been able to think of any cool stuff besides the ink and maybe some high quality olive oil. Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions! The overall budget is about $50

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

LeafHouse posted:

My brother is super into making his own pasta. I was thinking about getting him some squid ink packets and stuff of that nature that he can use. I haven't been able to think of any cool stuff besides the ink and maybe some high quality olive oil. Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions! The overall budget is about $50

Does he have a ravioli cutter and junk like that?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

psychokitty posted:

Does he have a ravioli cutter and junk like that?

Waiting on a text back from his wife about that. I'm sure he has some of that stuff but I'm not sure what exactly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Vegetable powder, so he can do stuff like spinach fettuccine! Myspicesage.com also has weirder stuff like beet powder, pumpkin powder, carrot powder, artichoke powder. There are cheaper suppliers if you're buying in bulk, but I like that they sell it in small enough quantities that you could do a sampler.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Vegetable powder, so he can do stuff like spinach fettuccine! Myspicesage.com also has weirder stuff like beet powder, pumpkin powder, carrot powder, artichoke powder. There are cheaper suppliers if you're buying in bulk, but I like that they sell it in small enough quantities that you could do a sampler.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I guess he doesn't have much in the way of gear besides the machine itself so I'll probably get some powders and a drying rack etc. Thanks for the help!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's a place near me that sells fancy pastas, one of which is dark chocolate. Amazing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This was a very productive holiday for me!

First, thanks to everyone who gave me advice on the chocolate snowflakes. They came out much more glossy and beautiful the second time, with some added temperature management.

Here's some photos of the main event, Beef Wellington. I had to learn how to tie butcher's knots, which was pretty fun. I trimmed down a whole tenderloin and cut it in half to make 2 lovely meat logs. Used my mom's cast iron pan and got such a good sear! We had 8 guests, and they were all stuffed and happy by the end of it.

• Locked thread