Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I got a dunning letter from ConServe in April of last year, saying I owed on a student loan. I sent back a debt validation letter CMRR and it was signed for. Nothing came of it, so I forgot about it. But I kept the records.

Late last month I got a call from a toll-free number, which I ignored as usual. But they left a message - the standard "this is an attempt to collect a debt" call. That confused me, because I don't have any debt. But the agency name sounded familiar. I called back within 20 minutes, and the receptionist transferred me to the office of whoever called me. She specifically said there was no hold music, so I shouldn't hang up. After a minute or so, the call disconnected from their end.

After that, I remembered why I recognized the name, and the whole procedure from last year.

They called back a week later, and I answered. I recorded it too. I told the guy that I had previously disputed this debt, never heard back, and they now owed me $2000 for violating the FDCPA with the two calls. (I stammered and stuttered a bit due to nerves and anger, but I got it all out.) He asked if I was disputing the debt, I said of course I am, and he said they'd send me stuff in the mail.

I did get another dunning letter, dated the same day as the first call, but nothing else as of two weeks later.

The debt wasn't and isn't on my credit report, and I feel like they're trying to scam me, but they're a legit collection agency. I paid off all of my student loans several years ago, and have the records for that too.

I'm pretty sure they've violated the law three times (two calls and one letter), plus I specifically said not to call me in my first letter to them. I want to send a letter back, something more than just another validation letter. I've got a draft written, but I don't even know if it's the right move. Should I just shut up and find a lawyer? I know people have won these cases pro se before, and it doesn't look that hard, but I'd like to make them and their alleged debt go away without having to sue them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There is a thread by a guy who made a bunch of money suing debt collectors. It has a how to proceed list so you can get some cash settlement action.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

Hey it is still on the front page!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Elephanthead posted:

There is a thread by a guy who made a bunch of money suing debt collectors. It has a how to proceed list so you can get some cash settlement action.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

Hey it is still on the front page!

I was looking for that very thread. Don't know how I missed it. Sorry for starting a new thread.

• Locked thread