Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Melmac posted:

How the hell do you peeps take 1 hour naps? It takes me 45 minutes just to maybe possibly fall asleep no matter how tired I am. Any secrets?

I'm terrible at waking up but brilliant at passing out. Basically you have to program yourself to fall asleep in response to a particular brain state. I learned this from having a really hard time passing out as a kid. My folks would say "just close your eyes and try to relax" which doesn't work for me because then I just think about poo poo. So I instead started telling myself stories mentally to fall asleep. It kept my mind focused enough not to drift into random thoughts, but not so focused it kept me awake. After a while that state started to be a suggestion to go to sleep that my brain couldn't ignore. Now I can pass out very quickly. So quickly I barely even get any narrative started before I'm out.

The storytelling isn't the important part. You could do whatever. Meditate or count sheep or whatever. They key is that you adopt a mental state consistantly before trying to pass out. Humans are self-programming. Eventually your brain will start taking the hint. Unless it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I live where I work so off to lunch at noon, asleep on my own couch from 12:05P to 12:55P. I am a gigantic cranky baby when something fucks with my napping. Even the cat knows to leave me the gently caress alone during that time.

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
Pot naps are the best. You wake up feeling extra rejuvenated somehow. It's a real thing, and until you try it you have no idea what you're missing.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Iron Crowned posted:

You'd fit right in with the rest of us in Work Crew!

i was in work crew!!! i had a sig and everything but then i stopped postin there because talking about work is depressing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Naps are the poo poo, 15 minutes exactly, less than that sucks, more than that, I won't wake up

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Cthulu Carl posted:

In my senior year of high school I used to catch a quick nap in the closet where the band stored their tympani drums. I would pass out and wake up when the sophomore band got the drums out, so it even had a built-in alarm.

The band room also had the best seats to crack your back on and ever since graduating I've never found a better way to do that.

I used to do the same thing except it was a room above the gym on a big pile of volleyball nets.

I would actually sneak in there during gym on days we had "free gym" which was when the teacher didn't feel like doing anything and just let us shoot baskets or whatever.
Those nets were drat comfortable and I would feel like nap ninja when I got away with it.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
2-3 hours after I get home from work. I stay up for maybe 3-4 hours then sleep for 6-7 hours. Always on a Monday since my sleep cycle is so hosed up from boozing over the weekend.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I had a roommate that took 5 minute lightning naps is this level of napping expertise even possible

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'll give you a dirt nap op.

agreed, time to bury your dick in the dirt op

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

gonna take a nap right now op

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

SorePotato posted:

I had a roommate that took 5 minute lightning naps is this level of napping expertise even possible

Yes but you gotta be high level. It's like that schedule where you sleep in 2 hour intervals. Its theoretically achievable (by demigods) but is far more likely to just gently caress ur noob rear end up.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I like to 'nap' when my family or wifes family comes over

chug a couple of bourbons as the car pulls up the drive, say hello, smile, sit on couch, nap

if anyone wakes me for any reason I fly into a terrible rage - thus preventing further attempts at waking me

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I just slept off the effects of a bulgogi lunch. Ahh, sweet naps.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jeff Sichoe posted:

I like to 'nap' when my family or wifes family comes over

chug a couple of bourbons as the car pulls up the drive, say hello, smile, sit on couch, nap

if anyone wakes me for any reason I fly into a terrible rage - thus preventing further attempts at waking me

Awww gently caress yeah I forgot about this. I do this at every holiday because of my mother's loving idiot friends. I don't have to make an example of anybody that disturbs me though because they know better. Everybody just goes "Eh he works all the time and is prolly exhausted we should leave him alone."

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Do you have your tv/computer in the same room as your bed? Change this if you do. Do you wake up every day at the same time?

I do have a TV and computer in that room. I think the problem is if I have absolutely nothing in my room then there will be literally no chance of me falling asleep. For example, on vacations, I will just stare at the ceiling for 5 hours because I don't want to wake anyone else up. I do not use my phone or watch TV on vacations. So that thing where the light of the LCD messes with your melatonin or w/e doesn't apply to me it seems.

Nathilus posted:

I'm terrible at waking up but brilliant at passing out. Basically you have to program yourself to fall asleep in response to a particular brain state. I learned this from having a really hard time passing out as a kid. My folks would say "just close your eyes and try to relax" which doesn't work for me because then I just think about poo poo. So I instead started telling myself stories mentally to fall asleep. It kept my mind focused enough not to drift into random thoughts, but not so focused it kept me awake. After a while that state started to be a suggestion to go to sleep that my brain couldn't ignore. Now I can pass out very quickly. So quickly I barely even get any narrative started before I'm out.

The storytelling isn't the important part. You could do whatever. Meditate or count sheep or whatever. They key is that you adopt a mental state consistantly before trying to pass out. Humans are self-programming. Eventually your brain will start taking the hint. Unless it sucks.

This is a really good idea. I did notice my brain likes it when I fall asleep to certain TV shows (it is very picky about which ones).

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Melmac posted:

I do have a TV and computer in that room. I think the problem is if I have absolutely nothing in my room then there will be literally no chance of me falling asleep. For example, on vacations, I will just stare at the ceiling for 5 hours because I don't want to wake anyone else up. I do not use my phone or watch TV on vacations. So that thing where the light of the LCD messes with your melatonin or w/e doesn't apply to me it seems.

This is a really good idea. I did notice my brain likes it when I fall asleep to certain TV shows (it is very picky about which ones).

You prolly shouldn't program yourself to require television to sleep.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Darth123123 posted:

I can't nap on planes, sucks.

I bring a pillow or two just for that.
I put my knees up on the back of their seat, recline it all you want, and have a cushion for my tailbone and sleep mask and I am golden.

Alternatively, try drugs or alcohol before boarding...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah. Except it's not mayhem, it's just like some really boring poo poo that always seems to happen in real-time. Like I'm a long-haul trucker just driving down a featureless stretch of highway for the entire eight hours I'm asleep, and it really does feel like eight hours.
Your brain has created its own version of Desert Bus. http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/desert-bus-the-very-worst-video-game-ever-created

• Locked thread