Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Recent changes: As the title says, this started immediately upon installing the new graphics card.

Problem description: When my computer is in full sleep mode (whether from inactivity or manually putting it there), it won't reactivate. The cooling fans engage, status lights on the motherboard blink, I can hear the hard drive running normally, but the screen won't turn on and hitting keys/clicking do nothing. Usually after a couple solid minutes of this, the computer will reboot itself; from there it behaves normally.

Attempted fixes: I swapped my old card back in and it wakes up fine, but obviously that's not a permanent solution.

--

Operating system:Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System specs:
  • Motherboard: EVGA X58
  • CPU: Intel i7-920
  • RAM: 12GB DDR3
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 960 2GB (upgrading from a Radeon HD 5750 1GB)
  • Power Supply: Corsair TX850W
  • HDD: WD Black 1TB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes (just pops up results regarding BIOS peripheral settings while in sleep mode, which doesn't seem to be my issue)

Edit 11/26:

Enourmo posted:

Alright so just a little sitrep now that everything's settled down. Since posting this thread:

• Ran DDU to clear the old AMD drivers (and the new NVIDIA ones by accident, which I reinstalled)
  • Checked for new drivers, I've got most recent for the GPU.
  • Flashed the VBIOS to the newest revision
  • BIOS flash failed; hit the reset CMOS button and recovered it just fine
  • Computer now wakes from sleep like it used to, so that's my original issue resolved
  • However, I am now having performance issues with the graphics card.

Before I started all these attempted fixes, I could run War Thunder at "movie" settings at 150fps unsynced, or rock steady 60fps/no dropped frames with Vsync on. Similarly, I was running Fallout 4 on ultra, with only godrays turned down; no FPS display in that game but it looked pretty drat smooth to me, couldn't have been below the 50s.

Now, after yesterday's fiasco, War Thunder even on "high" (two presets down from before) fluctuates from 45 max down to about 25, and Fallout on the same settings as before stutters and lags enough to be almost unplayable.

I have the latest GPU drivers, which worked perfectly out of the box. During this whole process I had updated the VBIOS on the card to the most recent version, 84.06.0D.00.62 at that link. I've tried flashing it to 84.06.0D.00.60 and 84.06.0D.01.60 as well, absolutely no change (still garbage compared to what i had originally).

GPU-Z isn't throwing up any obvious red flags; temps never break 50C and the "PerfCap Reason" fluctuates between "util" and "power", which google indicates is normal. Again, everything was working perfectly on Sunday (the last time I'd played a game) so unless this is the mother of all coincidences I don't think it's a failing/inadequate power supply.

So I guess now this is a whole new issue? Lucky me. Is there anything obvious I'm overlooking?

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Did you run something like DDU to completely remove the Radeon drivers before installing the Nvidia drivers?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
If that doesn't help, I would also suggest updating to the latest motherboard and VGA BIOSes from the respective manufacturer websites, and installing the latest Intel Chipset INF drivers from the Intel website.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alright, so far I've run DDU and updated the VGA bios, no change. Trying to update the BIOS, it wouldn't read the CD I made and I'm in the process of trying to get it to recognize the USB drive (having to copy about 5GB of data off the drive so I can clear it and just have the .bin file, if that's not the issue than I've got no idea why it won't work). I'll report back after doing that and doing the chipset drivers, see if anything's changed.

It's really annoying because the card works beautifully otherwise, runs Fallout at max settings, War thunder on cinematic "post-production only do not play the game with these" settings at 60fps rock solid (~130 with vsync off). Dunno why this one thing's going wrong.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
You probably need to format the USB drive as FAT32 (rather than normal NTFS) for the BIOS to read it. FAT32 is supported pretty universally, NTFS is only read under Windows (insert a page's worth of exceptions here, but that's the gist.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

so i finally get the utility to run. it does its thing, tells me to hit F1 to restart, i hit F1... and now it's been trying to boot with a black screen for about 10 minutes

lol i think i may have bricked my motherboard hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Alright so turns out they plan for this sort of thing and there's a hard restore button for the CMOS (whatever that is). Still having the original issue, and at this point I'm pretty much gonna have to wait til after the holiday to try and fix things again.

I've done everything suggested except the chipset drivers, guess that'll be the next thing to try once i get back to it. Dunno if I feel comfortable trying the BIOS thing again after this.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 25, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alright so just a little sitrep now that everything's settled down. Since posting this thread:

• Ran DDU to clear the old AMD drivers (and the new NVIDIA ones by accident, which I reinstalled)
  • Checked for new drivers, I've got most recent for the GPU.
  • Flashed the VBIOS to the newest revision
  • BIOS flash failed; hit the reset CMOS button and recovered it just fine
  • Computer now wakes from sleep like it used to, so that's my original issue resolved
  • However, I am now having performance issues with the graphics card.

Before I started all these attempted fixes, I could run War Thunder at "movie" settings at 150fps unsynced, or rock steady 60fps/no dropped frames with Vsync on. Similarly, I was running Fallout 4 on ultra, with only godrays turned down; no FPS display in that game but it looked pretty drat smooth to me, couldn't have been below the 50s.

Now, after yesterday's fiasco, War Thunder even on "high" (two presets down from before) fluctuates from 45 max down to about 25, and Fallout on the same settings as before stutters and lags enough to be almost unplayable.

I have the latest GPU drivers, which worked perfectly out of the box. During this whole process I had updated the VBIOS on the card to the most recent version, 84.06.0D.00.62 at that link. I've tried flashing it to 84.06.0D.00.60 and 84.06.0D.01.60 as well, absolutely no change (still garbage compared to what i had originally).

GPU-Z isn't throwing up any obvious red flags; temps never break 50C and the "PerfCap Reason" fluctuates between "util" and "power", which google indicates is normal. Again, everything was working perfectly on Sunday (the last time I'd played a game) so unless this is the mother of all coincidences I don't think it's a failing/inadequate power supply.

So I guess now this is a whole new issue? Lucky me. Is there anything obvious I'm overlooking?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Is your CPU usage unusually high or low during those periods? You can also try setting the Power Management mode to Prefer Maximum Performance in the Geforce drivers. I would also suggest reseating the 8-pin PCI-E power cable going to the graphics card,

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just as an example, in the War Thunder lobby (where I'm still getting the same 30fps average as in game) I'm seeing 14% total CPU usage, about 3.5% max by the game. Using less than a GB of RAM, and GPU load is at a steady 99% (which seems high now that I've noticed it). E: Also reporting a max usage of 760MB VRAM, so that's not maxed.

I'm assuming the computer should be off if I'm gonna be unplugging power connectors so I'll go check that. If reseating doesn't fix it I've got 2 other of those connectors I can try.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 27, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

No dice, tried all 4 PCI cables to no effect, even pulled the card out and re-seated it just to check. no change.

and ive wiped and reinstalled drivers twice. no change.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
After you cleared CMOS settings did you go back in the BIOS and use the Load Optimized Defaults option? If not, you might want to go do that and see if it helps, perhaps some performance-sensitive setting got changed.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I went through and loaded defaults under each submenu just to see if anything changed, nothing seemed to.

Can I just get a sanity check on these readouts?

This is with War Thunder running at high settings in the background, just in the lobby.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I done hosed up.

All the BIOses on the techpowerup site are for the SSC model; mine is just a 960 SC. Which means it's a physically different card.

No wonder I'm having loving issues.

And I didn't back up the original one i had. And im not seeing anything come up on google.

gently caress FUCKITY gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Yeah since that card has a different power delivery setup it makes sense it would be capped for power reasons. If you contact EVGA support they may be able to provide a copy of the stock BIOS for your card to fix the issue. For the future, you only ever apply BIOS updates from the manufacturer's website as I mentioned, flashing BIOSes you find on techpowerup is right out. Not all cards have BIOS updates available, they are generally only released to correct issues.

• Locked thread