Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I'm an IT guy. I have the luxury of often ordering high ticket items that get recycled in 4-5 years.

From my standpoint, I put a purchase req into an antiquated system. It goes through several levels of approval, then off to purchasing for a "purchase order", a commitment to eventually pay for something purchased. Payment terms are often net 30, 60, or 90. Problems arise when vendors don't read the purchase orders, they expect payment in 30 days but we don't pay for 90, or vise versa.

It seems like a complete clusterfuck - and I'm guessing saying everything should just go on a corporate credit account that gets audited from time to time is the equivalent of saying everyone should just bring in their own computer devices and use cloud services.

What else goes on beyond what I interact with?

There's the mythical AR team which I know nothing about.
Accounts payable, also know nothing about.
And even more mythical, general ledger transactions.

Are these normal terms no matter what size corp you work for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
It all sounds pretty standard. The Requisition/Purchase Order/Payment Terms work together to give your finance/accounting team time to control cashflow and assist in making projections/forecasts against budgets (departmental, quarterly, whatever.)

Some companies will allow certain types or values of invoices through without purchase orders, others will be sticklers, others still will be happy to put a lot on corporate credit cards and just audit expenses. Generally it's a mix based on who precisely is purchasing what (such as executives putting whatever they want on cards and everyone else needing a requisition to get some meeting refreshments.)

The general ledger is a summary of various transactions. You might have a cost code or department as a single line item. The detail of this line would be broken down in it's relevant subledger.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It's more or less like this:http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/tha-autobiography-of-herbert-k-16457

• Locked thread