Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

Why is that man so mean to the robot? The robot is just trying to pick the box. :(

Turns out that people are mean and rude as heck!!!

http://qz.com/475975/video-robot-is-bullied-by-children-so-scientists-teach-it-how-to-react/

quote:

The researchers dropped a remotely-controlled Robovie 2 robot on a mall in Osaka and studied how passers-by interacted with it, IEEE Spectrum reported. They found that for the most part, people got out of the way of the robot when it asked them to do so.

But when a gang of children happened upon the bot, they tended to be little monsters. They hit, kicked, and verbally abused the (admittedly quite creepy-looking) Robovie—with one child apparently calling the robot an “idiot” eight times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

DrSunshine posted:

I was reading the "Right Wing Populism" thread, and this image came up:

Which expresses something that has already been said before in this thread, but it's a very nice graphic. Of the 47% of jobs that employ people right now, there's a 70% chance or more of them being automated. That's a huge statistic!

I think it does play into the rhetoric of right-wing populism right now as an underlying factor. People are either persistently underemployed, have given up working, or are not getting the wage increases they need, due to automation in the workplace or globalization exporting their jobs to other countries. This persistent job pressure causes them to find something to pin their blame on, so they point fingers towards racial and religious minorities.

It's worth noting that a graph looking like this could roughly apply to any point in the last 100 years. Millions and millions of jobs have continuously been wiped out since industrialization. The graph is interesting but it's not the problem. The problem happens when those jobs can't be replaced. That part of the equation is harder to analyze and harder to predict.

• Locked thread