Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Problem Description: it's incredibly easy to describe. Basically, I just finished reinstalling Windows 7 from the OEM disk provided to me by Dell on my Studio XPS 7100 and the only other item I have installed is the driver for my Broadcom NIC. The issue I'm running into is that I have clicked on Windows Update in the Start menu and it has downloaded and installed exactly one update after sitting on the "Checking for updates..." screen for over an hour. The only update it found and installed was the Window Update Agent 7.6.7600.320. This update is listed under the Update History link. It hasn't even found any other updates besides that one.

Attempted Fixes: To be honest I can't think of any fixes that I can do for this and thus I have come here for help. I have also tried to research the issue but I haven't found any answers. Edit: I have tried changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and rebooted the computer, but that hasn't seemed to do anything.

Recent Changes: Other re-installing Windows 7, there hasn't been any.

I have Googled and Read the FAQ: Yes

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did you reboot and run it again? If you're installing from an older disk it won't be able to install more updates until the prerequisites are done and you've rebooted so they can be used.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Yeah it finally found the updates it needed. The problem was that it was taking so long that I was wondering if my computer was malfunctioning. In the end, I just let it sit and waited for nearly 3 hours before it found the 220 Important and Optional Updates.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd recommend running Crystal DIsk Info (Portable Edition ZIP) to confirm that your harddrive doesn't show Caution. It may take a bit to chew through the list of updates but it shouldn't take three hours, so I'm concerned that your harddrive performance is below normal.

• Locked thread