Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Problem description: A few weeks ago there was a lightning strike that was quite close to our home. Immediately after it hit we heard the sound of electricity in the air, a kind of short "bzzt" sound, and the PC's monitor immediately went black. The PC seemed to still have ghost power (LEDs on, fans spinning). Obviously I turned it off completely. It booted up normally, blue screened once later on, then ran fine until last week. For (seemingly) no reason, when I turned the PC on last week, it would not power on at all - no ghost power, no activity of any kind.

Attempted fixes: Initially I thought the PSU had failed. I removed it and ran the paperclip test on it, and it briefly spun the fan and then stopped (according to the YouTube video I watched on this, this means that the PSU is dead?). I have since bought a new PSU (listed below), installed it, and the problem still exists.

Recent changes: Two things - the new PSU and the lightning strike. Everything else about the PC setup is the same.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

System specs:
-
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-Pro4
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
PSU: Old: Antec True Power Classic 450W 80 Plus Gold -- New: Corsair RM650
HDD: Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB SSD
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Why was this thread tagged as "poo poo Post"? What did I do wrong?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
"poo poo Post" is the default if you don't choose a tag, in order to encourage people to take the time to pick a tag. I've changed this to "Hardware" for you.

As for your actual issue, I'd try clearing the CMOS via the jumper on the motherboard next to the battery. Shut the system down, unplug power from the wall, press the power button to clear capacitors, then move the Clear CMOS jumper over for about a minute, then move it back. This will interrrupt the power to the onboard RAM that holds the BIOS settings, clearing them completely and causing them to be reset to defaults, which can fix corruption caused by power issues. If this doesn't work, disconnect everything but the CPU, one stick of RAM, and power cables, connect monitor to onboard video, and see if that works.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Alereon posted:

"poo poo Post" is the default if you don't choose a tag, in order to encourage people to take the time to pick a tag. I've changed this to "Hardware" for you.

As for your actual issue, I'd try clearing the CMOS via the jumper on the motherboard next to the battery. Shut the system down, unplug power from the wall, press the power button to clear capacitors, then move the Clear CMOS jumper over for about a minute, then move it back. This will interrrupt the power to the onboard RAM that holds the BIOS settings, clearing them completely and causing them to be reset to defaults, which can fix corruption caused by power issues. If this doesn't work, disconnect everything but the CPU, one stick of RAM, and power cables, connect monitor to onboard video, and see if that works.

Thank you. I'm going to try this now.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Well none of that worked at all. I guess this means that the motherboard is broken, right?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

neurotech posted:

Well none of that worked at all. I guess this means that the motherboard is broken, right?

Sounds like a good bet. You could try the other stick of RAM if you haven't already.

Also, you could try removing the motherboard completely from the case and using a paperclip on the power pin (to bridge gap on the motherboard). That would eliminate the case as being an issue. This is probably not the issue though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Thanks for the help all. I replaced the motherboard and everything seems to be working fine.

• Locked thread