Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

1986 Honda Civic hatchback, 1.3L

This beast drove into my driveway and has been sitting there untouched for 2 and a half years. I'd like to see if I can get it running as a commuter car to leave at the park and ride all day.

The gas tank was almost completely empty when I parked it, I added a few gallons of fresh gas today.
I changed the battery today. The electronics turn on, and the starter turns over.
The engine will not get going. I hear a few pops like combustion happened a few times, but in general it just turns and turns without firing up.

I'm decent with mechanical stuff, but I don't know how to start diagnosing something like this. Also, I lack most of the specialty tools so if there's a workaround for tests, those would totally help.

Where should I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You should have flushed the tank and changed the fuel filter.

When you park for a few years, you should park it with a full tank with as little ethanol as possible and some stabilizer, otherwise condensation can form on the inside of the tank, and collect in there. engines don't like running on water, and metal bits in your fuel system can easily rust. Ethanol in moder fuels can turn to jelly, the fuel itself can turn to varnish which is tough to get out.

I would imagine it's a return system, see if you can pull the return line off somewhere, and run it into a pail or clear container, have someone cycle the fuel pump and see what, if anything comes out.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Pour a little gas down the throat of the carb and try to start it again.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Under no circumstances should you attempt to follow my Civic thread for inspiration.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
The carb is likely gummed up.
It's likely a fuel system issue since it pops.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

how can i test fuel delivery? Should I just remove and clean the carb?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It can't hurt, but the reason we're telling you to pour fuel down the carb throat is for diagnosis. If it starts when you give it fuel that way, then everything else is working right, the normal fuel delivery system isn't working right and that's your issue.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If you were in Texas, I'd tell you it was clearly beyond your abilities to repair and would offer you an insulting lowball offer.

But yeah, if you're comfortable wrenching on it, rebuild the carb. If you're not, buy a rebuilt carb. The carb is likely varnished to hell and back.

You can also disconnect the fuel line leading to the carb, aim it at a jar or something, and turn on the ignition for a few seconds (maybe crank it briefly). If you get fuel, the fuel pump is working. If you get a dribble or nothing, the fuel pump is probably done.

IIRC the fuel pump is either in the tank or under the car.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

how can i test fuel delivery? Should I just remove and clean the carb?

A lot of times the fuel will evaporate and turn to varnish in the carb fuel bowls long before any other damage occurs. Sometimes you can get them running just by pouring gas down the vent tubes, or down the barrel just long enough for the fuel pump to catch up. It's redneck, but it will tell you a lot about the condition of the engine before you tear into and replace things that may not need to be replaced. I have seen cars sit longer and still fire up OK using this method.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Also when you pour fuel into the carb, be smart about it - use a funnel and keep your face away from the throat of the carb.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I tired to go outside and pour gas straight into the carb last night. The doors were frozen shut. :(

I'll try again after work today

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It only takes a small amount, like a splash. If you have a way to fill through the vent tube that works best. Also keep a rag on hand in case it backfires.

And most importantly don't try to look down the carb while the engine cranks.

rdb fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 30, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Please please please have a fire extinguisher handy. Even just a small kitchen one. I'd hate to see this project literally go up in flames.

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
someone buy my running '86 Si and get it to this person.
:kidding fix that

dumpieXL fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 30, 2015

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I had an 86 CRX Si, that car was a blast until it literally rusted apart.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Force feeding it gas through the carb worked, it combusted. My wife is now concerned that I'm taking anonymous internet advice that includes having a fire extinguisher on hand just in case.

Now that we know it's delivery, what's next, fuel filter?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Fuel filter is always a pretty good bet, I would replace it anyway. Might also want to pop off the fuel line and feed it into a big glass jug of some sort to see what happens.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I wouldn't have gone as far as the fire extinguisher, and I usually repeat the procedure a few times (4-5) to give it time to prime the pump and fill the bowls. After that, I do what SSS says. Although it looks like a fuel pump for that is all of $5 on rock auto, so I would probably just throw one at it out of laziness.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If your wife is concerned you have a fire extinguisher when dealing with combustibles then it's clear she's trying to do you in and get your life insurance. RUNNNNNNNNN.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
AI logic: Your wife is concerned about your wrenching habits gained from posting on Something Awful, so you should leave your wife.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just give her a full service and it should stop the squeakin :haw:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Powershift posted:

Just give her a full service and it should stop the squeakin :haw:

But don't pour gas down her vent hole.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

AI logic: Your wife is concerned about your wrenching habits gained from posting on Something Awful, so you should leave your wife.

...or murder her, whichever's easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

88h88 posted:

...or murder her, whichever's easier.

You always remember your first :allears:

• Locked thread