Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Is it like that Short Term 12 film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

jyrka posted:

Is it like that Short Term 12 film?

I haven't seen this since it came out, but I remember the way it portrayed the kids was dead on, the two boys (Marcus and Luis I think?) were especially recognizable archetypes that I saw over and over again. The way it portrayed the staff felt really off though. They seemed like passionate amateurs rather than experienced professionals. I remember them having all these bad boundaries, and they made it really obvious when they were upset in front of the kids.

Also most of the staff were white.

Danger Mouse
Aug 12, 2008
What level of training do you require of your staff, and then what do they get in house? I'm a psychologist working in group homes in Australia and we now require a Certificate in youth work, which is a 6 month polytechnic level course. Prior to a few years ago when we had a rapid expansion it was essentially 'do you want to work with kids? Yes? You're hired'

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Danger Mouse posted:

What level of training do you require of your staff, and then what do they get in house? I'm a psychologist working in group homes in Australia and we now require a Certificate in youth work, which is a 6 month polytechnic level course. Prior to a few years ago when we had a rapid expansion it was essentially 'do you want to work with kids? Yes? You're hired'

We generally look for folks with some kind of experience in residential settings, then I do a lot of training and delegate the rest. Once they are hired they need CPR/first aid, food handling, bloodborne pathogens, crisis intervention etc. Beyond that our staff is required to log at least 30 hours of training a year, and our agency generally schedules trainings on motivational interviewing, conflict resolution, dialectical behavioral therapy, trauma stewardship, suicide prevention and a bunch of others.

• Locked thread