Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ2Nm1doZow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's... not a kazoo

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
In some respects I don't mind that they artificially increased the main quest by requiring you to do arbitrary stuff to continue, since I'm gonna explore the world and do the affinity quests anyway. Still, they could've been a little more imaginative regarding the Skell License than "COMPLETE PROFICIENCY EXAMS 1-8". I just wanna ride one already :(

It's dumb too that some of those exams are 'Collect ground items X and Y' when there's no database or hint indicating where you might find them. Had to Wiki locations several times. I don't mind if this stuff is contained to sidequests I'm never gonna do but cramming it into the main quest, not cool.

I uh do like the game though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not as good as the original.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What's a quick way to raise affinity with party members I barely use so I can do their affinity missions?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Other than using them in battles, the only real way to purposefully max them out quickly is to do the bonus missions accessible from the console in the barracks that unlock after you beat the game: you need to beat the hardest one about 30 times total to max out affinity between those 3 party members.

Apparently they were meant to unlock gradually as you progress through the game but seems they hosed that up, would've made more sense cause there's zero reason to do any of the easier ones by the time you can do any of them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I really hope that XC2's affinity system is entirely different, or that you have everyone in your party at all times so that their affinity is building as you play through the game (with more affinity for active party members). XCX had a bunch of neat ideas but some of the grind seriously feels like they were trying to make an MMO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The affinity systems in both XBC and XBX were frigging awful and I hope they just do away with it in favor of social links or Tales-style skits or something.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

XBC affinity system would be fine if they just made it build way faster. It encourages you to use a bunch of different party combinations, ideally.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The affinity stuff is bad enough when I'm up to Chapter 9 and, because Lao is unavailable, I've had to sidequest grind just to have a 4th party member who won't get killed by the boss immediately. I'd try to keep the entire party on an even keel if swapping them around wasn't a needless chore. No menu option is bad enough, but they could've at least crammed them into the barracks. There's not even an on-hand way to check what their specific advantages are and I'm not travelling across New LA to figure it out.

One thing I do like is how the sidequests have subplot threads of their own, like the xenophobia problems and Professor B's time hijinx.

I just upgraded to a decent skell, they rule.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 19, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mabels big day posted:

XBC affinity system would be fine if they just made it build way faster. It encourages you to use a bunch of different party combinations, ideally.

The problem is that it was reversed. you had to use party members to build affinity in order to see the events about them. If it had been reversed (you saw the events and your choices build affinity which is used for your skills/coin thing) that would have been fine. Although even then you need way faster affinity gathering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that it was reversed. you had to use party members to build affinity in order to see the events about them. If it had been reversed (you saw the events and your choices build affinity which is used for your skills/coin thing) that would have been fine. Although even then you need way faster affinity gathering.

It was stupid as hell, I put like 120 hours in, did almost every single side quest, kept rotating my group to avoid "wasting" affinity, and only had like 3 maxed out relationships. I only saw probably 6 or 7 heart to hearts because I was never high enough to see them when I was playing normally and only did a few when I was revisiting areas toward the end of the game because there's no reasonable way to mark and track them. I still couldn't have accessed most of them anyway even if I did bother tracking them down.

• Locked thread