Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scob
Jul 17, 2005

sheffield was really good and i dont get it other then writers think he was an rear end in a top hat or steroids i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I voted for both of them, but the fact that Mussina got in and not Schilling is actually hilarious.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Scob posted:

sheffield was really good and i dont get it other then writers think he was an rear end in a top hat or steroids i guess

Literally the only thing I disliked about Sheffield was his bat-tipping in his stance. It looked goofy as hell and I always wondered how his timing worked out with it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
My understanding was always that he did it to help his timing but I have no clue how exactly it worked. It looked rad though, and that is a good enough reason for me.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
The story I always heard was that the point of the bat tipping was that it kept him from being waaaaaay out in front of everything. That could of course be total bullshit, but that's what I always thought.

Edit: As for why it worked :shrug:. I guess it makes his hands' path to the ball longer?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's likely just a way to force himself to keep his hands back and start his stride later. Batting you can do pretty much anything you want during your setup, that's why you see guys with all sorts of goofy bat wiggles and poo poo. But once you start your stride you'll see pretty much everyone get their hands/arms into the same position with their hands close to their back shoulder at front toe touch. Anything before that is just the hitters own preference.

For instance here is a comparison of Baez and Sheffield, it's the best side shot I could find of his swing. But you can see at toe touch his hands are back near his shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqpuDvL_FfU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
More Astros in the Hall of Fame, I say, MORE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'll vote for Edmonds next time. I feel dumb for holding whatever weird grudge I have been against him but I think it is the fact that HoF writers seem to lump him in with the whisper campaign against Bagwell that has really changed my mind.

• Locked thread