Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh, hey, maybe we can salvage the audio from the aborted DK64 run and have an alternate commentary run.

Also, Tyty no. please stop

the thread is sick of dong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's okay crow, the last dong is in captivity. The thread is at peace now.

(also that audio is loooooong gone and you know it)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Seraphroy posted:

He worked on the soundtrack for Civilization: Beyond Earth, and assumedly getting paid good cash for the soundtrack of the upcoming Yooka-Laylee.

Oh god, now I'm imagining all the various factions introducing themselves by Rapping please make the hurting stop.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Yapping Eevee posted:

That took you how long?! :psyduck:

For the record, DK64 is the only DK game I've ever played. :shepface: I think you guys covered it pretty well with just that video.

Missing: Diddy's lovely owl race, and 4 bananas in gloomy galleon.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tyty posted:

You are an insane madman, Tyty. The jury applauds your noble sacrifice.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

i want that week back tyty

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The only banana I didn't get back in the day was from Lanky's race in Fungi Forest. I could never get it. There's really not much else to do at boarding school in BFE, Georgia.

And good on Kirkhope for finding success.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
That N64 game looks like rear end.

Did all N64 games look that bad? I really do not remember N64 games all looking that bad.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Artix posted:

It's okay crow, the last dong is in captivity. The thread is at peace now.

(also that audio is loooooong gone and you know it)

*Cues the Ridley attack*

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Spookyelectric posted:

Did all N64 games look that bad? I really do not remember N64 games all looking that bad.

N64 games have not aged well and they have blurry textures by hardware design.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Tyty posted:

:golfclap: I think this summarises that pretty well.

Also, I never finished that game on account of being too terrible at Jumpman.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

the DK rap is a national treasure and is the only objectively great thing about that game.
The Melee remix is much better.

Spookyelectric posted:

I'm gonna blow your mind here: DK64 looked better than most N64 games.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

And good on Kirkhope for finding success.

Well Kirkhope already had a good career even before DK64: He had done stuff for Donkey Kong Land 2 and Goldeneye, he was doing the music for Project Dream (which eventually became Banjo Kazooie), and his first big success (Banjo Kazooie) came before DK64.

Fun Fact: the gloomy galleon theme was a song composed for project dream (specifically it was Captain Blackeye's theme)

Another Fun Fact: while the DK Rap was not translated in the Japanese version, there was a translation on Shigesato Itoi's website

http://www.1101.com/nintendo/nin9/nin9_1.htm

Yapping Eevee posted:

:golfclap: I think this summarises that pretty well.

Also, I never finished that game on account of being too terrible at Jumpman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX1JAcF1g7I

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Spookyelectric posted:

yes

doin' an lp of one was rough because a lot of people weren't keen on the graphics

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

yes

doin' an lp of one was rough because a lot of people weren't keen on the graphics

Of course the caveats to that are, yeah, N64/non-HD console source capture looks like poo poo across the board, but I also stretched the footage to cover up the black space in the raw footage, so the quality took another hit, and we had no idea what the hell we were doing back then.

If we re-did SotE today, it would look a lot better.

tl;dr: If you can't capture it from an emulator, non-HD video is always gonna look like poo poo.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I played a ton of N64 games and I know/knew they looked primitive. I knew the textures were low-res and blurry. It's just...

In other N64 games, I could still tell what was going on. I knew what was happening in Mario 64 or Shadows of the Empire. Or even in Quest 64, frankly. The graphics were poor, but there was still enough contrast and shape and some semblance of visual order for me to tell what I was looking at.

DK64 just looks so... muddy. Confusing. Busy. Half the time I don't know what is happening on-screen. I think it looks worse than those other games. Is it just because I played the others as a kid and thus I'm trained to know what I'm looking at with those games? Or have all N64 games always been super muddy and confusing, and my mind is fabricating memories?

DK64 causes me to question all reality.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
DK64 had some revolutionary new dynamic lighting thing but they forgot to put ANY OTHER loving LIGHTING in the game so its dark as hell all the goddamn time

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I think it's best to play DK64 the same way as Mario Sunshine: For the sake of your sanity, don't try for 100%

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think the best part about that video was one simple fact:
You decided the best way to present dk64 was to literally cut out 99.5% of the game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DK64 actually manged to get a little bit darker when there was a countdown clock going on. That makes Diddy's Golden Banana in Crystal Caves where he has to kill all the enemies in a too-short amount of time even more of a hassle.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I got every golden banana in DK64 and like 101%'ed the game, but in my defense I was also 10

I tried playing it again a couple of years ago and was sorta charmed but man the game is Not Good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think the major problem in all three of rare's n64 3d platformers is that the basic act of moving around just isn't very fun. contrast mario 64 or y'know, the dkc trilogy which have really tight and responsive controls

along with the oversaturation of goodies and the camera problems and the lighting problems and the terrible hit detection and the tedious minigames and the obnoxiously large levels (if your level needs a five point teleportation system it's too big) and poor design decisions (why do you need a barrel to switch kongs) and the ridiculous difficulty spike that is the nintendo coin and yeah dk64 is trash

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Friends, before we go I have one final exhibit in this trial. Strictly off the record, of course, as the verdict is already in, but nevertheless I feel it's important that we present this final piece of evidence. An unholy creation, that which was never meant to be. Ladies and gentlemen of the tribunal, I present to you Super Donkey Kong 64.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it actually looks better with the lovely mario 64 textures and shading imo

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Eh, not really. It does lose a lot without the higher texture resolution and lighting (not to mention the weird areas that have no ceiling???) but that's really second to the fact that it's actually playable like this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Did they muck about with the level size any? Everything in that mod just felt... small. It could just be the camera and lighting stuff I guess.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Don't think so. On the other hand, Mario both runs and jumps better than DK and crew I believe, so that might play a factor in it.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I'm glad my cool and invincible friend Chuckya is in this romhack, and that he was in fact, not defeated.

Also it's shocking how much better DK64 is with working physics and most of the collectables filtered out.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I actually enjoyed DK64. But then again I was in boarding school in the middle of nowhere and didn't have a car so...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Poutine is a culinary abomination unfit for consumption by even the notorious garbage eaters, raccoons.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Artix posted:

Eh, not really. It does lose a lot without the higher texture resolution and lighting (not to mention the weird areas that have no ceiling???) but that's really second to the fact that it's actually playable like this.

But you can see!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ometeotl posted:

Poutine is a culinary abomination unfit for consumption by even the notorious garbage eaters, raccoons.

yadda yadda yadda opinions like assholes blah blah everyone's got one and everyone's stinks

:canada:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
And now, the epic* conclusion of Super DK64!

Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

*citation needed

Oh and I guess we're doing that other game too.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

What a long strange trip it's been.

Thanks for doing all of these!

Artix posted:

:supaburn:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Artix posted:

Oh hey it's that character that they're talking about in the 3rd Birthday thread. I'm sure this is a tastefully done game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We, the members of this tribunal, find the defendant Donkey Kong guilty on all counts.

• Locked thread