Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kwyndig posted:

One of the fun things about the last mission is if you're fast enough with that rail gun sniper rifle you can murder the general in his tank before he gets a chance to talk.

You can also fry him inside his tank with the arc welder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The first time I reached the mountaintop, I threw a metric fuckton of explosive charges at the tank "to be sure", then it suddenly charged me, pinned me against the wall and I could not get out, it would just keep pushing pushing pushing. I didn't even lose life, I was just stuck.

I did not survive pushing the explosion button :(.

It saddened me greatly that there was no checkpoint before the fight, and I had to trudge up the mountain again.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
You know who else just keeps pushing? Nigel Cummings.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
I think Red Faction Gorilla could would have benefited from picking a tone with the story. The EDF is cartoonishly evil, but the presentation is entirely serious. If the game is about large explosions and driving trucks through buildings, I don't think trying to tell a serious story works out too well. As far as demolition goes, your destructive capability should keep increasing, things early on should remain relatively tame and in the end you should be able to wreck entire towns just with a mean look.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Toma posted:

Red Faction Gorilla
This would be a very different game.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Woebin posted:

This would be a very different game.

Donkey Kong's Futuristic War Crimes

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Lunethex posted:

You know who else just keeps pushing? Nigel Cummings.

I love you.

I also loved this LP. Well done and thanks Jade!

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Jade Star posted:

Oh right, there is the Sam's story DLC or something. I'll have to double check that I have it and will totally do that if I do.

All Steam versions should have it, but if you don't uninstall mods, it'll crash when you start it up. I've tried to get around it, and the best I've managed is it not crashing until I place a remote charge. Fortunately, its attitude toward weapon balance is a little more forgiving than the base game's.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Male Man posted:

All Steam versions should have it, but if you don't uninstall mods, it'll crash when you start it up. I've tried to get around it, and the best I've managed is it not crashing until I place a remote charge. Fortunately, its attitude toward weapon balance is a little more forgiving than the base game's.

Which is a shame, cause I really wanted to use the semi-auto rocket launcher with bigger explosions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NuminaXLT posted:

Which is a shame, cause I really wanted to use the semi-auto rocket launcher with bigger explosions.

None of the Demons weapons impressed me, honestly. The rapid-fire rockets are okay, the semi-auto rifle is a fine and reliable weapon for what it does, but the sword is just another melee weapon and you get the super rail driver too late to have any fun with it unless you deliberately skipped a lot of the side stuff.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Fun LP, great game. Armageddon might be a fun follow up because while it has less fun smashy gameplay, it does have lots of great, 'using magnets to murder people' gameplay. the game isn't super destructiony fun like Guerilla BUT your primary weapon lets you force object A fly directly at Object B which may or may not be flying at Object A as well. And that's incredibly great fun. Whether Object A is a person or alien and object B is another person or alien or piece of debris or explosive barrel or ceiling or floor of the cave youre in is up to you.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
Few things are as satisfying as throwing a building at someone.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Armageddon redefines bug squashing.
It also has a black hole gun. I'm willing to forgive a lot of bad design for having a black hole gun.

e: Its plot is also completely and utterly retarded so there's that in its favor.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The blackhole gun is a lot of fun but in the way that the Sledgehammer is the greatest and most simple of weapons in this game, the Magnet Gun is in that game.

And you still have a sledgehammer I think. It also gives you a lot more opportunities to smash dudes with the building they are standing on/in, which is something I wish this game had. I love it's openworldness and freeform destruction, but I'd love a game in this engine that had smaller, more confined levels with more 'wreck this poo poo' setpieces.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpookyLizard posted:

The blackhole gun is a lot of fun but in the way that the Sledgehammer is the greatest and most simple of weapons in this game, the Magnet Gun is in that game.

And you still have a sledgehammer I think. It also gives you a lot more opportunities to smash dudes with the building they are standing on/in, which is something I wish this game had. I love it's openworldness and freeform destruction, but I'd love a game in this engine that had smaller, more confined levels with more 'wreck this poo poo' setpieces.

Armageddon still has the sledgehammer, but they fully open all 4 slots instead of forcing you to take it so there's actually a reason for alternate melee weapons.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

I'm back! Sorry for the long delay, but real life and just general laziness and stuff and job hunting and aw gently caress it let's go blow up Mars some more.

Samanyas story begins

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Don't bother collecting those power thingies. They only unlock a cheat that doesn't do anything by the time you can get it.

As empty as this DLC is, some of the new weapons and vehicles really show how the designers felt the game balance should lean in light of lessons learned. You start holding more than half again as many remote charges as Mason ever could, the vehicles are bigger and tougher (some even sporting that super Gauss turret you were using at the end of the first mission), and while the Spiker is just a generically powerful gun for shooting dudes, at least it impales them with goddamn harpoons. They realized that their primary goal should just be giving the player tools that have an effect on the world.

The base game's weapon and vehicle design tended towards realistic examples with some sci-fi bits glued on (the assault rifle is literally named "m16" in the files), which I kinda suspect is the result of RF:G's design originating in an era when Saint's Row 1 was the gameplay model. Comparing that to the DLC stuff and extrapolating really makes me wish that we had a proper successor to Guerilla. Imagine what could be done today with an explosion-first philosophy and an extra generation-and-a-half of hardware to throw at destruction calculations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You mention the EDF bodyguards not dropping their new, very powerful guns. That gun is your reward for finishing the DLC's story.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It really does feel a lot more lifeless than the main game. Almost eerie, actually.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The next episode had failed to upload to youtube 4 times now. gently caress this poo poo :mad: I'm still working on it, we'll get it working eventually.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Posting before I pass out, but I have somewhat solved the next video's problem. It should be processed and uploaded later today. It is held together by the software equivalent of duct tape and if things prove this difficult again I'm just going to stop doing the free roam segments live in the interest of not having to gently caress with this so god drat much.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Holy poo poo this video finally works! Please enjoy a video of Arhiman and I dicking around mars and seeing some of the new local flavor the DLC has to offer.

Marieners Valley

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I think that marauder Sam dyes her hair with martian dirt. Either that or blood, I suppose. You can see blonder streaks in the ponytail.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
so was the whole more blood for the blood god aesthetic meant as an act by the ultor scientists and then by the 2nd generation they forgot it was a joke?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Verdafolio posted:

so was the whole more blood for the blood god aesthetic meant as an act by the ultor scientists and then by the 2nd generation they forgot it was a joke?

The audio logs suggest that that's the idea, yeah, combined with general degeneration from the harsh environment, scarce resources, and eternally being hunted by the EDF.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad that you had the same experience I did with the burial grounds

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Turns out the DLC is really, really short. This will be the last Red Faction Guerrilla video. I think it's been a great time, a great game that delivered exactly what enamored me to the game the first time i played it. Explosions and destruction physics. For the DLC, I think it was a nice try, but it feels rushed and empty. The last mission has some really half done story I feel. The conflict with Vasha seems underwhelming, no real reason for it. The rescue of Dan and Hugo doesn't really serve any purpose other than to weakly segway into 'And then Sam joined red faction, and become blonde'. In the end, the story of the DLC feels like some of my early writing attempts, the characters are there, the skeleton of the story is there, but it just falls very short of feeling fleshed out or complete.

Goodbye Mars

Thanks to everyone that watched the main play through and an extra thanks to the 4 people that stuck around for the DLC. And extra bonus mention to Maleman for the mods that brought some real good times during the play through. I'll catch you guys next time back on Earth.

man, 'Earth fact of the day' sounds like it'd be a lot less interesting...

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
No multiplayer vids? This game had some funnish MP if I'm not totally remembering correctly. Or is it totally dead?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The DLC was definitely short, but like I said after you finished the main game, I enjoyed the new weapons and challenges. I wouldn't have been happy paying for it, but considering it's free, it makes a good digestif for the main game.

Also, the trick to the tank controls is to realize that there's no difference between front and back. It behaves exactly the same going forwards as it does going in reverse.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also now that I've actually watched the video, I'm pretty psyched for the Xcom2 commanders guide.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

The audio logs suggest that that's the idea, yeah, combined with general degeneration from the harsh environment, scarce resources, and eternally being hunted by the EDF.

The most hilarious part is that within 2 generations the kids completely forgot about everything just being an act and went straight-up tribal. Like their grandparents were actively Ultor scientists putting on a show to scare away the EDF and their parents probably grew up knowing that.

I want to imagine that Samanya and Vasha's generation is just incredibly stupid and ignored their parents when they tried to tell them "No seriously, guys, you don't have to do the weird voices and wear bone masks when we're at home. We were just trying to scare off the colonis---aaaaand you're decorating a shotgun with skulls. Good."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skulls AND a jagged sawblade.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Martian geography time! Red Faction Guerilla notes that it takes place in the Tharsis region of Mars, which is a real place - it's a vast volcanic plateau - and Commander Davies mentions being from the Chrysae settlement. Then we have the Mariner Valley. As it turns out, these are actually all in the same area!

Now the in-game geography doesn't line up - there's actually an area in the Mariner Valley system called Eos, but it's out east where it leads into Chrysae - but I suspect someone at Volition actually did look at a map of Mars when making this game.

Edit: Here's a more detailed look at the Tharsis region, and my best guess at where everything took place including the old primary Ultor complex from Red Faction 1 - we know where Capek's lab is, but the first game implied it was quite a long ways away from the main facility.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 10, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Thanks for this thing!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
It is actually super cool that things almost line up to real martian geography.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jade Star posted:

It is actually super cool that things almost line up to real martian geography.

The Tharsis Plateau is volcanic in origin, so all the deep tunnels back in Red Faction 1, many of them flooded with water, even make some sense if Ultor drilled into old lava tubes. Lava tubes on Mars are known to exist for certain around Olympus Mons, the largest volcano in the solar system, and today are widely speculated in the scientific community to be ideal sites to potentially find life on Mars, liquid water, and generally be scientific and mineral bonanzas, plus ideal locations for potential subsurface habitats. Why do I bring up Olympus Mons?

See that big white thing just northwest of Tharsis? That's Olympus Mons. Arsia Mons, Pavonis Mons, and Ascraeus Mons - the three big volcanoes in the northwest part of Tharsis - aren't hugely smaller, and Tharsis is believed to have been created by that volcanic system.

I think someone at Volition, if just an intern, was paying attention to the Martian geography.

Thanks for the LP, Jade Star!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
There was going to be a half life 2 full conversion mod years ago, called Badge of Blood. It was going to use satellite data on Martian topography to create the maps. Unfortunately it never went anywhere beyond concept art that I can tell.

• Locked thread