Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Take it from someone who grew up in affluent surroundings and spent adulthood mostly in service jobs and the electrical trade, barely in the middle class most years:

Wealth doesn't change you.

It's like fame. It only amplifies who you really are inside by giving you the power and freedom to do so. I've known horrible people from all backgrounds, same token I've known great people. One of the best people I've ever known in every aspect was born in the silver spoon club, and since this thread has a money theme, even with multimillionaire parents he still started his working life at 18 with crap jobs, like washing cars and bussing dishes.

The Couch clan would be the scum of the States no matter where they lived or how much money they had. MAYBE if they were dirt poor Appalacian coal town dwellers, the consequences would be rejection and ostracism toon by a culturally close-knit community. But that wouldn't have changed them, they'd just be the fucks in a shack on the edge of town who no one talks to. As it is, these types live on gated properties anyway so not much difference.

There WAS a possibility that Ethan might have developed morals on his own, much like how not every child of hardcore racists follows suit. A slim chance, granted, what with dad declaring "We who make the gold in the world make the rules" but still. Virtues and vices are like talents and intelligence, they just pop up randomly in the population. Or sometimes, they don't at all.

I'm not a conservative, but this really isn't something that could be avoided by altering wealth and capitalism. That said, the Texas justice system blew this big time. THAT one, you can alter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Agent Escalus posted:

I'm not a conservative, but this really isn't something that could be avoided by altering wealth and capitalism. That said, the Texas justice system blew this big time. THAT one, you can alter.

Texas didn't blow anything. Texas is usually tough with sentencing. I wondery why not this time? Hint: :homebrew:

Texas just gave 50 years in prison to a guy who was videotaping himself torturing stray cats on dozens of occasions. Don't get me wrong, he deserves every day of that 50 years, but the main difference was that this morally-bankrupt psycho wasn't wealthy like Ethan was.

Autechresaint posted:

For once the foxnews comments help with why it's so light:
"Do keep in mind that while the sentence is way too light, he was a juvenile when it happened originally.

They were not able to certify him as an adult then.

So he got probation.

He violated probation, and therefore the original sentencing is reopened.

But it's still based on the original case and original trial.

So while he is now in adult court, it's not a new case in adult court.

It's still going back to what age he was at the time of the crime, and the sentences available then.

If any one commits a crime at say age 15, and for whatever reason it takes 3 years to go to trial - the crime was still committed by a juvenile. It's not what age you are when it goes to trial but when the crime was committed."

I am confused though. Why isn't fleeing the country something he is being charged with as an adult? The fleeing the country part wasn't done when he was a juvenile.

Why give him 10 years probation if he will still be tried as a juvie for a probation violation when he's 26?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 19, 2016

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Bumping because he's actually getting the slammer. 2 years is better than zilch. Hopefully it's in a legit joint, like what OJ's incarcerated in, not one of those cushy dorm ones. He's proven that he needs a punishment.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Maybe now he can find Jesus and become the new Indiana Jones America needs.

God bless, Namaste

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I forget: Did Mexico just drop their case against him, or are they taking the slow burn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Agent Escalus posted:

Bumping because he's actually getting the slammer. 2 years is better than zilch. Hopefully it's in a legit joint, like what OJ's incarcerated in, not one of those cushy dorm ones. He's proven that he needs a punishment.

He's in solitary in a maximum security prison, "for his own protection":
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-sentenced-to-nearly-two-years-in-jail/

quote:

Ethan Couch was extradited back to the U.S. on Jan. 28. He has spent most of his days since then in solitary confinement at Tarrant County's maximum-security prison. Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson has said Couch was isolated from other inmates for his own protection.

Two years isn't very long, but he'll suffer every day of it.

• Locked thread