Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

D_Smart posted:

This is the first time that I am seeing or getting any such report. Can you please run CHKDSK on the drive? It could be that the games are being saved to a bad sector, one that's flagged as going bad or bad, but files are being moved to good sectors.

Also, start a new game. And if you run into this problem again, please open a support ticket and attach the saved game files so that I can analyze them.

Did chkdsk, no problems or bad sectors found (and I should hope not, all the parts of this computer are less than a year old).

D_Smart posted:

e. CTRL+SHIFT+G (Quick Save) is the same as COMMAND/SYSTEMS -> QUIT & SAVE WITH RESUME but doesn't quit the game.

So is this the problem then? If I'm reading your support article correctly that should mean it doesn't save anything to disk, but it definitely does for me. A player*.sg9 file, titled "AUTOSAVE" under that character's profile in the Restore menu (including if I haven't made a "Quit and Save with Restore" with that character). In fact, I never use the Resume option from the main menu at all - I always use Restore.

Basically, if I save with Ctrl+Shift+G, then quit the game with Alt+Q, go to Restore and select AUTOSAVE, it'll be at the correct point where I saved - even if I exit the whole program in the meantime. I just assumed that was how it was supposed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

K, so I went and grabbed the DLC, but it looks like the Guides in the OP dont have working links.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
All these 0.1 hours played/1 review users are adorable.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I've been working on going through the video tutorials, but I wanted to mention to d_smart that most of the PDF links in the OP are 404ing.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 2, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Weird. 3000AD links are down. :argh:

You can find them on the Steam page.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I was on the CompuServe forums and on USENET back when this went down. The threads were epic, and Derek, to his credit, was right in the middle of it all. It was pretty wild watching the developer wade into everything that was going on. It was pretty unheard of to see or hear of a developer who was as visible as Derek was back then. The only other one who came close was Andy Hollis, when he was developing for Jane's Combat Simulation / Electronic Arts.

While Derek's approach to the situation is well documented, I did and do admire that he didn't quit on the project. He fixed it, got patches out, and eventually released the thing for free, while continuing to develop and improve the game. I remember 2.0 coming out on a PC Gamer cover CD and thinking how wild it was that a full game was actually out there for someone to play for free. That takes a lot of internal fortitude and determination. Others would have likely abandoned the thing and moved on to something else, but Derek didn't choose that path. Full points for taking the hard path.

Indeed.

As I wrote in this Gaming Urban Legend blog, it's not like there was ever a choice of what I needed to do. What Take Two did affected me from my standpoint as a gamer, because they shipped and were selling a product they knew was still in Beta.

Then made the mistake of trying to pin it on me by making up poo poo (e.g. I got angry, attacked a Coke machine, left the project etc). I can deal with all kinds of things, but when you make that sort of attack, all you end up doing is declaring war on the one person who never saw a conflict he didn't like. Which is precisely why, those who know me, knew what was coming back in July when those pricks over at RSI/CGI, pretty much did the same thing when they accused me of doing something that I didn't do.

Unlike most from back in the day, I was never a part of the industry as I had never worked in it - for anyone. And to this day, I still haven't and don't intend to. So it was all very strange to me what was going on. So it was easy to make it personal. And that's precisely how what has been dubbed The Greatest Gaming Flamewar in history, came about. It was glorious.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Interloper posted:

Did chkdsk, no problems or bad sectors found (and I should hope not, all the parts of this computer are less than a year old).

So is this the problem then? If I'm reading your support article correctly that should mean it doesn't save anything to disk, but it definitely does for me. A player*.sg9 file, titled "AUTOSAVE" under that character's profile in the Restore menu (including if I haven't made a "Quit and Save with Restore" with that character). In fact, I never use the Resume option from the main menu at all - I always use Restore.

Basically, if I save with Ctrl+Shift+G, then quit the game with Alt+Q, go to Restore and select AUTOSAVE, it'll be at the correct point where I saved - even if I exit the whole program in the meantime. I just assumed that was how it was supposed to work.

Quick Save (CTRL+SHIFT+G) just acts as a check-point. If you use it when you don't already have a full save (ALT+G), it can't be resumed or restored because the player profile is never saved; only the game state.

Try the tests mentioned in the support article as it gives a better explanation.

ps: I forgot to add that you can't save Instant Action scenarios. Only ROAM and ACM scenarios.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

Weird. 3000AD links are down. :argh:

You can find them on the Steam page.

Yeah, looks like we moved some things around and broke the links. I have fixed them in the OP now. Thanks!

e. I also added a link to the standard galaxy map which can be printed

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 3, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I am looking to do a minor patch release this month. I did some stuff over the holidays and have updated the changelog to reflect what's done thus far.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

D_Smart posted:

In other news, Battlecruiser 3000AD is 20 years old this year. Were you part of the 1996 revolution?

I still have the 3000ad box sitting somewhere in the house.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

LowellDND posted:

K, so I went and grabbed the DLC, but it looks like the Guides in the OP dont have working links.

btw, sometimes Steam won't manually install the links to the docs. This KB article shows you how to manually install them.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I am starting a weeks holiday next week, the first in many, many units of time.

I am going to play your Line of Defense game Derek.

Will I dream? Will I test new features, explore new frontiers of fidelity and pew pew pew?

Will post trip report, and also gameplay report.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

McGiggins posted:

I am starting a weeks holiday next week, the first in many, many units of time.

I am going to play your Line of Defense game Derek.

Will I dream? Will I test new features, explore new frontiers of fidelity and pew pew pew?

Will post trip report, and also gameplay report.

Well don't expect too much though. Just explore the massive game world. The massive update (aircraft) is inbound this month and will have a huge impact on the game.

ps: SA - Line Of Defense thread

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen fan plays Universal Combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8hRuz4r5E

There's so much spite. But he'll come across neat things and say "that's actually kinda cool ... BUT ANYWAY." Keep driving them into a frothy rage D-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

Star Citizen fan plays Universal Combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8hRuz4r5E

There's so much spite. But he'll come across neat things and say "that's actually kinda cool ... BUT ANYWAY." Keep driving them into a frothy rage D-Man.

Heh yeah, saw that when it first went up.

Comment comedy Gold

quote:

You had to alt tab out to pause the loving game when you just read out press the loving pause key no wonder DS thinks we're all retards ffs. How you can label the video "condescension" when you just proved his point is loving hilarious.

• Locked thread