Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Well, to say i'm nervous would be an understatement. This is the first time i've put anything up for criticism outside of my own little circle in a long while, but i've started to hear "yea this is good man" too many times to believe it, and I can tell my head's getting bigger by the day. I'll preface this by saying it's a first draft - but I feel pretty proud of it, and I also have the feeling that if I don't put it up now, i'm not going to have the excitement i'm feeling right now to help me make the leap later. And while i'm no stranger to critiquing my own stuff, i'm equally used to completely overlooking core problems with my writing in favor of tightening up the prose.

The chapter takes place after a short time skip from Chapter Eight, and takes place in winter rather than autumn. The main character, Jeff, is a night shift guardsman in Oaken Village. He used to have a partner in his friend Tommy, but after Tommy tried to throw a punch at the barkeep, Tim, Tim forced the would-be guard to work for him in penance. Normally, the captain of the guard would have disagreed, but Jeff met a spooky ghost thing in Chapter Four, and while Brandt and his friend Phillip convinced Jeff that it was just his imagination, in reality it's a sign that Jeff might be capable of some pretty crazy stuff. So they figure Jeff can probably handle things on his own - and that it might even be better for him.

That's all the real backstory you need to know and then some. The chapter itself takes place in winter, and contains a whole lot of metaphorical stuff near the end. I usually gently caress the metaphor stuff up real bad, so don't hold back.

The rules say not to just post a link - honestly I think the font on the document itself looks a lot better, so i'll compromise and put a link here along with the main body of the story in the post. If that's also not cool, just let me know and i'll take the link off. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzGYefnwpLK2dnM5UGlsaGp5dGs/view?usp=sharing

Chapter Nine: Sun Rises, Sun Sets, Sun Rises

Snow fell softly on the barren plains, bathing the world in white. Jeff's eyes watered in the fresh cold, the faint wisps of a beard clinging to his chin. He drank in the scenery hungrily, interrupted only by his eyes flicking unwittingly toward the fading sunset. The shadows lengthened, a tree cracked in the forest. Days hardly lingered long enough for lunch, and a peaceful slumber held the village in its cold grip.

With one last deep breath through his nose, Jeff turned his back to the plains, fixing Oakentown firmly in his sights. As he turned, his new breastplate caught the last dying gasp of sunlight, flashing orange atop the hill. Jeff winced as it nearly blinded him, and began to rub hurriedly at his eyes, and his lack of attention nearly sent him rolling down the hill like a one-man avalanche. Instead, he slid down the hill, wildly flinging his arms about to keep his balance, his eyes streaming, and upon reaching the bottom without incident, his grin was fit to light the village with no need for lamps.

Jeff had slid down all the way to the houses, and in one of the windows he spied a pair of eyes staring back at him. He spared the child a quick wink and a grin, and walked on to his beat without pausing for a moment. In the autumn most people were too busy to make trouble, and in the winter it was too cold to bother doing it outside, so outside of patrolling the bar there wasn't too much to do. Nevertheless, Jeff's boots led him through his usual routine. If crimes only happened where they were expected, they'd be poor crimes indeed.

Aside from his fellow guardsmen, there were few wandering the streets. The one exception to the rule were those who had taken on the role of scraping snow off the buildings – if too much built up, one might suddenly find themselves with their roof as their blanket instead. They were spread out, but you could generally find one on any given street – usually the same one, as the work attracted territorial types. It was easier for everyone to have their own turf than to be the tenth one asking an irritated housewife for work.

Jeff shook his head, his eyes rolling upwards almost of their own accord. The other towns and villages in the area had their roofing done by someone with sense, and gave up their little balconies and decorations for the ability to shrug off the snow without constant maintenance. Still, he mused, better to have more work for those who need it. Even if it might result in the same for those who'd rather have a beer. Still, they were working diligently enough, and even worked well as lookouts in the increasingly rare case of bandits.

Save an odd grunt or shout from the roofscrapers, the newborn night had already grown quiet. Distant shouts indicated the direction of the bar, but there wasn't an edge in them, and it was too early to bum a mug. Jeff shook his shoulders slightly, savoring what little warmth he could. The sound of his boots crunching through the snow was steady as a babe's cradle in motion, and his breathing came fit to match.

In this steady rhythm, becoming complacent was a simple matter. Jeff's neck remained unbent despite the tiny icicle beginning to form under his nose, and while his eyes didn't dart from point to point, neither did they ever stop moving. Ever since that night in the autumn downpour, Captain Brandt had taken extra care in lecturing Jeff, and expected more to boot. Jeff had assumed that when Tommy started his work at the bar that he'd get a new partner, but Brandt hadn't broached the issue; and more than that, Jeff had appreciated the opportunity to think without interruption.

Time to think had become something of a valuable commodity for Jeff. Brandt's new drills really did seem meant to teach one man how to fight with the strength of two, and when Brandt was satisfied, that only meant Phillip took an interest. Days off were spent sparring, and the nights were spent in the woods – and that could mean anything from hunting to gathering herbs. Jeff had complained at first, but Phillip only pointed out that learning to spot them at night would make them obvious in the light of day, and Jeff could only shrug vaguely in response.

One aftereffect of this was not the ability to ignore the cold – that wasn't quite possible. But it did teach one how to handle it. In the forest, it was hard to pretend that you'd be right back into the warm; so instead, you stopped huddling around and wasting time, you covered the important bits, and you got on with things. And the guard uniform, uncomfortable as it might be, didn't do a half-bad job of staving off frostbite. Phillip's wife, Jen, also took the liberty of knitting him a warm sweater – an act that earned Jeff a couple of days of silence from Tommy, but was easily worth it. The breastplate fit over it like a glove.

A shadow stirred from the mouth of a nearby alley, and Jeff's steps didn't falter an inch. His gaze stayed fixed on the road ahead of him, and he peered into the alley through the corner of his vision. When the shadow ducked back into the alley proper, Jeff stopped. That alley in particular, if he remembered correctly, wound quite a ways – but ended with a brick wall. The guardsman waited patiently for curiousity to kill the cat, his eyes focused on the alley. The shadow poked its head out for a solitary instant, and the strength building within Jeff's legs unleashed itself all at once.

The sight of a reasonably hearty policeman charging at you doesn't inspire a great range of reactions, but in terms of intensity few things can match it. The shadow turned (without hesitation, Jeff noted) and the chase began. If you asked Jeff why he was chasing the shadow so intensely, he'd at first look at you like you'd suddenly grown a tumor on your nose. Then his mouth would open, nothing would come out, and after a few moments of silence, he'd look you straight in the eye. “Well, I dunno, seems pretty suspicious right?”

The speed at which the shadow moved was a testament to how suspicious one might act when they find themselves in mortal danger. The alley didn't allow much light in the first place, and with the moon blocking the clouds, the shadow didn't become any clearer despite Jeff's best efforts. But with each duck and weave, and every perfect turn, something began to tickle the back of the guardsman's mind. He wanted nothing more than to set it aside and enjoy the chase, but his legs disagreed; Jeff slowed, and the shadow disappeared further into the gloom.

As he rounded the final corner, revelation came in the form of the sound of air splitting not an inch from his ear. “They haven't missed a single corner.” The long, subtle thought began, unravelling in one frozen instant. “If they know the alley, they know it's a dead end. They know it's quiet. Separate. Attack.” Brandt seemed to appear before Jeff in that moment, his form melding with that of the shadow. The instant become a second, and the second after saw Jeff leaping upon the shadow, truncheon already in its violent course.

Even while Jeff's mind readied itself for the punishing blow, the effortless dodge and counter that was Brandt's signature, the heavy club hit home. The shadow sprawled against the wall like a marionette without a master, and all was silent. By a trick of chance, the clouds parted. Silver moonlight streamed down from above, catching on Jeff's breastplate. The shadow became a woman.

On her right cheek was a tattoo of a wolf's head, fangs bared. The thought came to Jeff, in an idle fashion, that it was lucky that he wasn't left handed. He knew the tattoo. A sign that one had pledged their life to one of the more prominent bandit clans – or had been pledged, as the case might be. The implications of this did their best to thunder through Jeff's mind. Plans of action bubbled and died as the seconds passed.

It was only when the clouds returned and the light died that Jeff could bring himself to scream. In the darkness the shadow rose again, its unseen mouth open in a silent roar. The darkness around it flowed and gurgled, and their hands reached...

The guardsman turned, realizing his role in the ancient dance of predator and prey with a strained whimper. His gait had the promise of steady speed, the result of mere weeks honing his body; but without his mind to guide it, the crossbow fallen from the bandit's grip was effective enough as a tripwire. He twisted as he fell, landing roughly on his back. His breath lept from his mouth into the air, becoming no more than fog. The shadow stood over him, the stench of spilled blood invading the freshness of the snow. It glared at the fog writhing through the air as one might regard an intruder, and without a word, devoured it without a sound.

Jeff backed away, first on his elbows, then on his hands, on his feet. The bolt, shattered on the alley wall, began to reform itself as naturally as a stray cat draws breath. Jeff felt more than saw it fly towards his face, and only instinct kept him from a brutal death. He turned the corner, and flew down the alleyway with the hounds of hell baying behind him. And just as he entered the final stretch, another shadow dropped from the roof, its silhouette clear against the beckoning light of the streetlamps.

“Loved her, y'know. Ain't said it yet.” The shadow spoke as if it expected even a moment of mercy, but Jeff was too out of his mind with fear. All the boy's eyes saw was something standing between him and the safety of light. This time, no deeper than the mouth of the alley, Jeff could see the man's face just before the club hit home. It was curious, how blank its expression was – vacant of anything more than faint surprise.

Jeff turned – the light drove the shadow away, but it glared at him nonetheless. And as he stepped backwards over the bandit's body, some part of him noting the thick clothes of a roofscraper, the shadow observed him carefully. Even as Jeff turned and ran, shouting alarm, fresh blood streaming from his truncheon, it watched. It kept its eyes on the boy, long after he'd made it to the bar, rallied the guards, and began his dance with whirling death.

And somehow Jeff knew that it would never, ever look away.

END OF CHAPTER

Oaken Village is such a dumb name but I needed something. I have no idea if roofscrapers are an actual profession, but in an earlier chapter it's explained that the village was founded by a bunch of eccentric rich people with too much time on their hands, so I imagine it might not be so crazy for it to come up. That's also the reason the alley is such a ridiculously winding thing - they drove the newly minted city planner drat near crazy with their specifications, and it resulted in the town looking like something out of an Escher painting turned right side up.

I feel like a kid going to get his first shot. Well, don't be gentle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
disclaimer: im not a good writer and im doing this for extra words in some other thing. kind of just consider each comment i make and decide whether or not you feel it works for you

-the opening. setting is good, but an opening sentence thats describing the setting is kind of boring. id jump straight into the action using the main character as a focal point. softly falling snow bathing something in white seems kind of generic but i like the tone youre going for

-im not sure how someones own breastplate can blind them

-jeffs character seems really inconsistent. first he *almost* trips and falls down a hill, then hes being an a1 ultimate guard that troops around in frigid temperatures. if you want this dual nature to be a part of his character, you should frame it in a way thats a bit better, because its hard to take someone seriously if they just *almost* fell down a hill picking up snow like in a cartoon

-i like the roof as a blanket expression

-i like the roofscrapers, they make the world seem cozy. im not sure about having jeff pause to comment with his thoughts. id assume hes familiar with this practice and has prolly exhausted the insight he can reach on it at this point

-sometimes these character namedrops seem awkward and dry considering how, if im getting your intro right, we should have been hanging out with them for a while already. for example, "Jeff had assumed that when Tommy started his work at the bar that he'd get a new partner, but Brandt hadn't broached the issue; and more than that, Jeff had appreciated the opportunity to think without interruption." if tommys been hanging out with jeff for 8 chapters, it feels like his absence should be a bit more palpable

-personal thing but im really bored by characters training to sword fight or find herbs or whatever. maybe theres some way you can make the herb gathering at night more vivid or something

-"fit like a glove" you can prolly do better

-if something turns to run away from a running cop im not going to assume it hesitated mid turn

-"The speed at which the shadow moved was a testament to how suspicious one might act when they find themselves in mortal danger." i feel like there might be a more exciting way to communicate the velocity of this mysterious running shadow

-zombies

ok so i dont think anything esp thematically clashes or is that inconsistent. i feel its awkward how you go from bumbling cop to death zombies, but if you tightened it up it could make for a compelling set piece. id rly work on the writing, it seems really dry, which mostly comes from the fact that you use a lot of cliches

e: whoops

take the moon fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 13, 2015

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

klapman posted:

Snow fell softly snow falling softly is probably the most generic way you can describe snow falling on the barren plains, bathing the world in white likewise, I think you can describe in a more unique manner than just white, a use of metaphor or simile could be effective here to give us some into how Jeff sees things. Jeff's eyes watered in the fresh cold, the faint wisps of a beard clinging to his chin. He drank in the scenery hungrily I hate this adverb, interrupted only by his eyes flicking unwittingly toward the fading sunset. The shadows lengthened, a tree cracked in the forest This doesn't quite fit well, since it contrasts heavily with your other sentences and while grammatically a sentence, it feels like a fragment. Also, why are these two ideas combined with a comma? They feel separate enough that they should be two different sentences. Days hardly lingered long enough for lunch, and a peaceful slumber held the village in its cold grip.

With one last deep breath through his nose, Jeff turned his back to the plains, fixing Oakentown firmly in his sights. As he turned, his new breastplate caught the last dying gasp of sunlight, flashing orange atop the hill Ok, you got a lot of description going on, but I'm not sure to what end. This may be because idk what's happened earlier, but I'm left wanting some kind of action. It's just been him staring at the scenery, and while it's not awful description, it's just kind of boring. I think this could work if it felt more like Jeff was interacting with the scenery in how he describes it, but right now, it feels rather flat and unimaginative. Jeff winced as it nearly blinded him, and began to rub hurriedly adverbs like these actually do the opposite of what you're trying to do. hurriedly slows down the sentence when you want it to be a bit quicker at his eyes, and his lack of attention nearly sent him rolling down the hill like a one-man avalanche. Instead, he slid down the hill, wildly flinging his arms about to keep his balance, his eyes streaming, and upon reaching the bottom without incident, his grin was fit to light the village with no need for lamps uhhhh, what does this have to do with anything?.

Jeff had slid down all the way to the houses, and in one of the windows he spied a pair of eyes staring back at him. He spared the child a quick wink and a grin, and walked on to his beat without pausing for a moment something about this reads weird, not sure what exactly. the without pausing for a moment is just... weird? idk how to describe exactly just that im not a fan. In the autumn most people were too busy to make trouble, and in the winter it was too cold to bother doing it outside, so outside of patrolling the bar there wasn't too much to do. Nevertheless, Jeff's boots led him through his usual routine. If crimes only happened where they were expected, they'd be poor crimes indeed.

Aside from his fellow guardsmen, there were few wandering the streets. The one exception to the rule were those who had taken on the role of scraping snow off the buildings – if too much built up, one might suddenly find themselves with their roof as their blanket instead. They were spread out, but you could generally find one on any given street – usually the same one, as the work attracted territorial types. It was easier for everyone to have their own turf than to be the tenth one asking an irritated housewife for work I don't hate this paragraph, but it just strikes me as kind of dull and boring world building.

Jeff shook his head, his eyes rolling upwards almost of their own accord. The other towns and villages in the area had their roofing done by someone with sense, and gave up their little balconies and decorations for the ability to shrug off the snow without constant maintenance. Still, he mused, better to have more work for those who need it. Even if it might result in the same for those who'd rather have a beer. Still, they were working diligently enough, and even worked well as lookouts in the increasingly rare case of bandits So, since the start of this chapter this is what has happened - guy looked at scenery then walked around, stared at things, and thought to himself. i'm really loving bored at the moment.

Save an odd grunt or shout from the roofscrapers, the newborn night had already grown quiet. Distant shouts indicated the direction of the bar, but there wasn't an edge in them, and it was too early to bum a mug. Jeff shook his shoulders slightly, savoring what little warmth he could. The sound of his boots crunching through the snow was steady as a babe's cradle in motion, and his breathing came fit to match. It's not really that your descriptions are bad, I've certainly seen worse, but they lack a particular charm to keep me engaged. There's nothing unique to what is happening in the setting or environment, and with the lack of action, I really have no reason to care. Of course, this is based entirely on not knowing what has happened earlier in this novel.

In this steady rhythm, becoming complacent was a simple matter. Jeff's neck remained unbent despite the tiny icicle beginning to form under his nose, and while his eyes didn't dart from point to point, neither did they ever stop moving. Ever since that night in the autumn downpour, Captain Brandt had taken extra care in lecturing Jeff, and expected more to boot. Jeff had assumed that when Tommy started his work at the bar that he'd get a new partner, but Brandt hadn't broached the issue; and more than that, Jeff had appreciated the opportunity to think without interruption.

Time to think had become something of a valuable commodity for Jeff. Brandt's new drills really did seem meant to teach one man how to fight with the strength of two, and when Brandt was satisfied, that only meant Phillip took an interest. Days off were spent sparring, and the nights were spent in the woods – and that could mean anything from hunting to gathering herbs. Jeff had complained at first, but Phillip only pointed out that learning to spot them at night would make them obvious in the light of day, and Jeff could only shrug vaguely in response. Ok, now this seems to be something important. I mean, I'm missing the obvious context, but like this stuff feels essential to your overall narrative and while I'm not going to call it super interesting, it's at least doing something rather than being bland generic descriptions

One aftereffect of this was not the ability to ignore the cold – that wasn't quite possible. But it did teach one how to handle it. In the forest, it was hard to pretend that you'd be right back into the warm; so instead, you stopped huddling around and wasting time, you covered the important bits, and you got on with things. And the guard uniform, uncomfortable as it might be, didn't do a half-bad job of staving off frostbite. Phillip's wife, Jen, also took the liberty of knitting him a warm sweater – an act that earned Jeff a couple of days of silence from Tommy, but was easily worth it. The breastplate fit over it like a glove.

A shadow stirred from the mouth of a nearby alley, and Jeff's steps didn't falter an inch. His gaze stayed fixed on the road ahead of him, and he peered into the alley through the corner of his vision. When the shadow ducked back into the alley proper, Jeff stopped. That alley in particular, if he remembered correctly, wound quite a ways – but ended with a brick wall. The guardsman waited patiently for curiosity to kill the cat Please don't use cliche expressions. they're not good or interesting, even when you're trying to be clever with them., his eyes focused on the alley. The shadow poked its head out for a solitary instant, and the strength building within Jeff's legs unleashed itself all at once This sentence feels rather weak for what it's trying to say. I should be feeling ENERGY and STRENGTH, but the construction makes it feel tepid and bleh..

The sight of a reasonably hearty policeman charging at you doesn't inspire a great range of reactions, but in terms of intensity few things can match it Ok, same problem. You got a guy charging your character. You should be hyping me up, throwing some energy at me. The rest of this chapter has been slow, and now you got action going. Throw it at me, surprise me, make me feel the energy. This description just absolutely BLOWS because it takes all the energy out of your story. There's a bunch of other ways to describe it, but this isn't a good way. Make me feel it, describe it to me, bring some energy to this piece rather than these bland descriptions of action.. The shadow turned (without hesitation, Jeff noted) This, too, takes a lot of the energy out. You have to be careful about this in action. Just simple things like this can get in the way and take me out of the emotion or feeling you're trying to create and the chase began. If you asked Jeff why he was chasing the shadow so intensely, he'd at first look at you like you'd suddenly grown a tumor on your nose. Then his mouth would open, nothing would come out, and after a few moments of silence, he'd look you straight in the eye. “Well, I dunno, seems pretty suspicious right?” God, just the same problem. You have action going, I want to see the action, STOP BREAKING UP THE ACTION WITH BORING poo poo I WANT TO SEE THEM CHASE EACH OTHER JFC

The speed at which the shadow moved was a testament to how suspicious one act when they find themselves in mortal danger Consider rewriting this sentence as "The shadow was moving like it was being chased by a knife wielding maniac" or some such variation. First of all, the sentence feels passive because you start with "speed" when the subject is the shadow, and it also feels like you're using way too many words for such a simple description "the shadow is moving fast".. The alley didn't allow much light in the first place, and with the moon blocking the clouds, the shadow didn't become any clearer despite Jeff's best efforts. But with each duck and weave, and every perfect turn, something began to tickle the back of the guardsman's mind. He wanted nothing more than to set it aside and enjoy the chase, but his legs disagreed; Jeff slowed, and the shadow disappeared further into the gloom. Ok, am I supposed to know this from earlier stuff in the novel or is just kind of out of the blue?

As he rounded the final corner, revelation came in the form of the sound of air splitting not an inch from his ear Rewrite as "He heard [sound]." Things like this kill the pace you're trying to make.. “They haven't missed a single corner.” The long, subtle thought began, unraveling in one frozen instant. “If they know the alley, they know it's a dead end. They know it's quiet. Separate. Attack.” Brandt seemed to appear before Jeff in that moment, his form melding with that of the shadow. The instant become a second, and the second after saw Jeff leaping upon the shadow, truncheon already in its violent course.

Even while Jeff's mind readied itself for the punishing blow, the effortless dodge and counter that was Brandt's signature, the heavy club hit home This sentence makes no sense and is really really weird. I'm not quite sure what you were trying to do with it. The shadow sprawled against the wall like a marionette without a master, and all was silent. By a trick of chance, the clouds parted How awfully convenient of the clouds. Silver moonlight streamed down from above, catching on Jeff's breastplate. The shadow became a woman.

On her right cheek was a tattoo of a wolf's head, fangs bared. The thought came to Jeff, in an idle fashion No, stop it, stop getting in the way of your own descriptions, just let them breath, that it was lucky that he wasn't left handed. He knew the tattoo. A sign that one had pledged their life to one of the more prominent bandit clans – or had been pledged, as the case might be. The implications of this did their best to thunder through Jeff's mind. Plans of action bubbled and died as the seconds passed.

It was only when the clouds returned and the light died that Jeff could bring himself to scream Whooo, why? Is she a werewolf? Is that what's up? Am I supposed to know that? Or know wtf is going on? cause, uh, I kind of don't. In the darkness the shadow rose again, its unseen mouth open in a silent roar. The darkness around it flowed and gurgled, and their hands reached...

The guardsman turned, realizing his role in the ancient dance of predator and prey with a strained whimper. His gait had the promise of steady speed, the result of mere weeks honing his body; but without his mind to guide it, the crossbow fallen from the bandit's grip was effective enough as a tripwire. He twisted as he fell, landing roughly on his back. His breath lept from his mouth into the air, becoming no more than fog. The shadow stood over him, the stench of spilled blood invading the freshness of the snow. It glared at the fog writhing through the air as one might regard an intruder, and without a word, devoured it What is this "it"? Am I missing something or am I just horribly dumb? Or is that there's a bandit AND a shadow? without a sound.

Jeff backed away, first on his elbows, then on his hands, on his feet. The bolt, shattered on the alley wall, began to reform itself as naturally as a stray cat draws breath. Jeff felt more than saw it fly towards his face, and only instinct kept him from a brutal death. He turned the corner, and flew down the alleyway with the hounds of hell baying behind him. And just as he entered the final stretch, another shadow dropped from the roof, its silhouette clear against the beckoning light of the streetlamps.

“Loved her, y'know. Ain't said it yet.” The shadow spoke as if it expected even a moment of mercy, but Jeff was too out of his mind with fear. All the boy's eyes saw was something standing between him and the safety of light. This time, no deeper than the mouth of the alley, Jeff could see the man's face just before the club hit home. It was curious, how blank its expression was – vacant of anything more than faint surprise.

Jeff turned – the light drove the shadow away, but it glared at him nonetheless. And as he stepped backwards over the bandit's body, some part of him noting the thick clothes of a roofscraper, the shadow observed him carefully. Even as Jeff turned and ran, shouting alarm, fresh blood streaming from his truncheon, it watched. It kept its eyes on the boy, long after he'd made it to the bar, rallied the guards, and began his dance with whirling death.

END OF CHAPTER

Yeah, uh, this was alright, not like amazing or anything, but you know, not the worst thing in the world. I focused mostly on mechanics since, you know, I don't really know your whole story )and I'm not a novelist) so I don't think it's fair to criticize the story too much. What you need to work on is rhythm and how to make your action flow. You gotta sometimes let your words breath and just say it like it is. The most important thing to think about when it comes to action is making it clear. This goes for writing in general, but most importantly for action, but don't add poo poo we don't need. It gets in the way, it breaks up the rhythm, and brings down the intensity when you want to bring it up. You could also work on clarity in action as well, since sometimes it was vague and weird and I wasn't quite sure what was going.

And, uhhh, yeah, that's all I got.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
While it's less of a problem for a chapter than the opening line of an entire book, starting without a character and action is bad and starting with a weather report is worse. And a fairly cliche-ridden weather report at that. It's a bad habit of a lot of writers in fantasy, unfortunately including some rather successful ones which means it gets imitated by people who can't get away with it. Second up, you're using the exactly same sentence structure three times in a row in the first paragraph, (independent clause, past or present participle phrase), and it's not a good one to use much at all. Try to mix things up with some short, simple sentences and other variations of longer ones. (Turning the comma splice that follows into a period would help. A semicolon would be better grammar than the comma, but the period is even better for narrative.)

Second paragraph: 'nearly' is a word to try and avoid. In general, it's weak, but here it draws the reader down a false trail, putting one set of images for the action into their head and then backtracking in favor of another. Don't do that. Actually, there are three sets of images here, because I first imagined him sliding down on his butt and have to revise that to upright skiless skiing in the third paragraph. (Which itself has the same problem, making the reader revise the idea of when he switches from sliding to walking.)

I don't like the fact that it isn't until paragraph ten that there's any actual conflict. I really don't like the shift into an omniscient chatty point of view in paragraph eleven. You may think that using “the boy” rather than either “Jeff” or “he” adds useful variety, but it really just adds a little confusion. Again, the omniscient and slightly chatty narrator is out of style and for good reason. A disciplined third person limited point of view would likely improve the entire piece.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

klapman posted:

Snow fell softly on the barren plains, bathing the world in white. Jeff's eyes watered in the fresh cold, the faint wisps of a beard clinging to his chin. He drank in the scenery hungrily, interrupted only by his eyes flicking unwittingly toward the fading sunset. The shadows lengthened, a tree cracked in the forest. Days hardly lingered long enough for lunch, and a peaceful slumber held the village in its cold grip.

It's getting dark and a guy is looking at snowy vista (of some kind--it's plains, but then there's a forest?), but that information is imparted upon us in a manner most elaborate. The sentence that begins with "He drank in the scenery hungrily..." bugs me. There's really nothing here to explain why he would be enthusiastically imbibing the scenery. Also, his scenery-drinking isn't really "interrupted" by him looking at the sunset, since the sunset is kinda part of the scenery. This attention to what Jeff's eyeballs are doing would make more sense if maybe, like, you somehow work in the fact that bandits are seemingly a thing in this world. As it is, the description is really heavy, but it doesn't tell me a whole lot about....anything, really. I get that this isn't the opening chapter, so this doesn't need to be as much of a "hook", per se, but as it is, it's the kind of thing my eyes want to skim over.

With one last deep breath through his nose, Jeff turned his back to the plains, fixing Oakentown firmly in his sights. As he turned, his new breastplate caught the last dying gasp of sunlight, flashing orange atop the hill. Jeff winced as it nearly blinded him, and began to rub hurriedly at his eyes, and his lack of attention nearly sent him rolling down the hill like a one-man avalanche. Instead, he slid down the hill, wildly flinging his arms about to keep his balance, his eyes streaming, and upon reaching the bottom without incident, his grin was fit to light the village with no need for lamps.

Is Jeff meant to be kind of a slapstick character? I can't really get a read on the tone of this story. I'm also sort of having trouble imagining how he was blinded by his own breastplate, but okay. Is this scene meant to show him as clumsy, or something? "his grin was fit to light the village with no need for lamps" is kind of a cute metaphor, but...a lot of the language is so elaborate and flowery, this kind of reads like extra frosting on an overly-rich cake. Like, why does he rub "hurriedly" at his eyes? Why doesn't he just rub them? That's what I mean about the language. There are all these unnecessary adverbs, and it makes many of your sentences feel very florid and purple. And that diminishes the effectiveness of some of your really nice sentences.

Jeff had slid down all the way to the houses, and in one of the windows he spied a pair of eyes staring back at him. He spared the child a quick wink and a grin, and walked on to his beat without pausing for a moment. In the autumn most people were too busy to make trouble, and in the winter it was too cold to bother doing it outside, so outside of patrolling the bar there wasn't too much to do. Nevertheless, Jeff's boots led him through his usual routine. If crimes only happened where they were expected, they'd be poor crimes indeed.

Aside from his fellow guardsmen, there were few wandering the streets. The one exception to the rule were those who had taken on the role of scraping snow off the buildings – if too much built up, one might suddenly find themselves with their roof as their blanket instead. They were spread out, but you could generally find one on any given street – usually the same one, as the work attracted territorial types. It was easier for everyone to have their own turf than to be the tenth one asking an irritated housewife for work.

I think the roof scrapers are the interesting detail here, since it adds flavor to your world, but the wording is just so distancing. "...those who had taken on the role", "one might suddenly find themselves", etc. You can be much more plain-spoken: You can just say there are only guardsmen and roof scrapers out and about. In general, I find the prose uses way too many words to describe basic stuff. Sometimes, a sentence should just be utilitarian; you should just say what you mean, in the most direct way possible.

Jeff shook his head, his eyes rolling upwards almost of their own accord. The other towns and villages in the area had their roofing done by someone with sense, and gave up their little balconies and decorations for the ability to shrug off the snow without constant maintenance. Still, he mused, better to have more work for those who need it. Even if it might result in the same for those who'd rather have a beer. Still, they were working diligently enough, and even worked well as lookouts in the increasingly rare case of bandits.

It's okay for Jeff to just roll his eyes. Maybe it's just a personal pet peeve, but, in most cases, I don't like it when actions are described like "Body part did thing". Like, "His hand waved" or "his feet climbed the stairs"; etc etc etc. I'm not really feeling the elaborate, Escher-ness that you described in your post, tbh. Everything is so vague, like each sentence only conveys a wisp of its intended meaning. Why not something like, "Other towns had steep, sensible roofs that shrugged off the snow. At least Oakentown's rooftop balconies and elaborate architecture kept the roofscrapers busy." etc etc etc. I don't know. There is a craft to making a sentence both convey an idea and enhance the setting. But you have to be more direct.

Save an odd grunt or shout from the roofscrapers, the newborn night had already grown quiet. Distant shouts indicated the direction of the bar, but there wasn't an edge in them, and it was too early to bum a mug. Jeff shook his shoulders slightly, savoring what little warmth he could. The sound of his boots crunching through the snow was steady as a babe's cradle in motion, and his breathing came fit to match.

See now, the above paragraph is better. This has a nice "calm before the storm" feeling. The cop on his beat. All is well.

This paragraph makes me wonder if there was an earlier scene where the issue of Jeff's new partner (or lack thereof) comes up. You implied in your post that the reason Jeff is working alone is because he might have some sort of power, and so can take care of himself. But this paragraph makes it seem like Jeff's lack of a partner is new information, even though it seems like a big enough plot point to justify its own scene. It's kind of hard to explain, because I haven't read the rest of the work. As it is, this paragraph is mainly just a jumble of names without context, so it's kind of hard to comment on.

Time to think had become something of a valuable commodity for Jeff. Brandt's new drills really did seem meant to teach one man how to fight with the strength of two, and when Brandt was satisfied, that only meant Phillip took an interest. Days off were spent sparring, and the nights were spent in the woods – and that could mean anything from hunting to gathering herbs. Jeff had complained at first, but Phillip only pointed out that learning to spot them at night would make them obvious in the light of day, and Jeff could only shrug vaguely in response.

Again--are there any scenes where Jeff is going through this training? If so, this is all kind of unnecessary exposition. If not, I think you need to flesh out Jeff's training with Brandt and Phillip (I guess??), because if this is the first time it's mentioned, it's not enough.

A shadow stirred from the mouth of a nearby alley, and Jeff's steps didn't falter an inch. His gaze stayed fixed on the road ahead of him, and he peered into the alley through the corner of his vision. When the shadow ducked back into the alley proper, Jeff stopped. That alley in particular, if he remembered correctly, wound quite a ways – but ended with a brick wall. The guardsman waited patiently for curiousity to kill the cat, his eyes focused on the alley. The shadow poked its head out for a solitary instant, and the strength building within Jeff's legs unleashed itself all at once.

OMG Jeff's eyes again. I reckon this is probably one of those writing quirks that crops up all over the place in this story. Luckily, stuff like that can easily be plucked out in the editing process, but you should make note of it. Also, is Jeff charging up his leg chi? That's a very odd way to phrase it when he's basically just tensing up for the chase.

The sight of a reasonably hearty policeman charging at you doesn't inspire a great range of reactions, but in terms of intensity few things can match it. The shadow turned (without hesitation, Jeff noted) and the chase began. If you asked Jeff why he was chasing the shadow so intensely, he'd at first look at you like you'd suddenly grown a tumor on your nose. Then his mouth would open, nothing would come out, and after a few moments of silence, he'd look you straight in the eye. “Well, I dunno, seems pretty suspicious right?”

This is cute, but you're writing a chase scene here, and the overall tone of the story isn't comedic enough to justify cheeky asides like this. I would save this sort of thing for maybe a more lighthearted scene, like...Jeff is stopping some petty, normal crime, maybe. That would be a better moment to do this kind of characterization. Like, by chapter 9, I would kind of hope you've already established Jeff as a strong and competent yet prosaic guy. This just breaks up the action for me.

The speed at which the shadow moved was a testament to how suspicious one might act when they find themselves in mortal danger. The alley didn't allow much light in the first place, and with the moon blocking the clouds, the shadow didn't become any clearer despite Jeff's best efforts. But with each duck and weave, and every perfect turn, something began to tickle the back of the guardsman's mind. He wanted nothing more than to set it aside and enjoy the chase, but his legs disagreed; Jeff slowed, and the shadow disappeared further into the gloom.

As he rounded the final corner, revelation came in the form of the sound of air splitting not an inch from his ear. “They haven't missed a single corner.” The long, subtle thought began, unravelling in one frozen instant. “If they know the alley, they know it's a dead end. They know it's quiet. Separate. Attack.” Brandt seemed to appear before Jeff in that moment, his form melding with that of the shadow. The instant become a second, and the second after saw Jeff leaping upon the shadow, truncheon already in its violent course.

Even while Jeff's mind readied itself for the punishing blow, the effortless dodge and counter that was Brandt's signature, the heavy club hit home. The shadow sprawled against the wall like a marionette without a master, and all was silent. By a trick of chance, the clouds parted. Silver moonlight streamed down from above, catching on Jeff's breastplate. The shadow became a woman.

On her right cheek was a tattoo of a wolf's head, fangs bared. The thought came to Jeff, in an idle fashion, that it was lucky that he wasn't left handed. He knew the tattoo. A sign that one had pledged their life to one of the more prominent bandit clans – or had been pledged, as the case might be. The implications of this did their best to thunder through Jeff's mind. Plans of action bubbled and died as the seconds passed.

So, part of me wants to dissect this whole sequence on a line-by-line level. The narration makes everything feel so...removed. Like Jeff is sort of just casually barreling down the alley, thinking of the implications of the beginnings of ideas that are starting to trickle into his brain. I assume the weird thing with Brandt is some manifestation of Jeff's training or mysterious power? IDK. Technically, everything that's happening could be interesting, but the prose drags because the action can't just be action. It's all like, Jeff's body doing things and thoughts meandering into Jeff's brain in idle fashions. But again, this is all stuff that can be tidied up in editing. I gather this is a novel-length work, so my broad, novelish advice is: Let the action happen. Don't clutter it up with rambling.

Also, I'm not entirely digging this whole thing with light bouncing off Jeff's breastplate. Like, imagine moonlight shining off metal. It wouldn't work like a flashlight. The alley wouldn't be like, lit up to the point where you'd be able to make out a tattoo. It would be more plausible to say the moon itself lit up the alley, then include a detail about the light hitting the chest piece. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be like...something symbolic about the light always bouncing blindingly off his armor? But I'm not sure. All I know is, when I read that bit, it kind of threw me out of the story because my skeptical, goony brain was going "wait a minute, moonlight reflecting off metal wouldn't be that bright.

It was only when the clouds returned and the light died that Jeff could bring himself to scream. In the darkness the shadow rose again, its unseen mouth open in a silent roar. The darkness around it flowed and gurgled, and their hands reached...

I'm kind of lost here. Like okay, before I thought she was a "shadow" because it was dark. But now the shadows are literal things? Is she controlling them? It's not really clear. Also, Jeff doesn't really seem like the screaming type.

The guardsman turned, realizing his role in the ancient dance of predator and prey with a strained whimper. His gait had the promise of steady speed, the result of mere weeks honing his body; but without his mind to guide it, the crossbow fallen from the bandit's grip was effective enough as a tripwire. He twisted as he fell, landing roughly on his back. His breath lept from his mouth into the air, becoming no more than fog. The shadow stood over him, the stench of spilled blood invading the freshness of the snow. It glared at the fog writhing through the air as one might regard an intruder, and without a word, devoured it without a sound.

Wait, so she eats Jeff's breath? How can he see this, given how dark it is?

Wait, so are there actual hell hounds behind him, or is it metaphor? You have to be careful mixing magical things and metaphorical things, because it's not always easy to tell one from the other unless the "rules" are fairly well established.

Okay, so now there's another guy, and Jeff hits him with his club. It's weird how detached Jeff feels from his club. Like, he doesn't hit the guy. The club hits home. Which club? Who's holding it? I can infer all this stuff, but it takes a little work.

Wait, why is Jeff suddenly backing out of the alley? What's the deal with this shadow? Is it from the people in the alley, or is it its own entity? I am really struggling to sort the metaphors from the magic. You need to be more plain-spoken, like I've said, or you'll just leave readers feeling uncertain. All in all, I get the gist: Jeff is a strong, fresh-faced guardsman with a clumsy streak and a somewhat straightforward attitude. He's been training a lot, and is using some of his newfound skills in an alley chase. In the alley, he gets more than he bargained for when he encounters two zombie-like people and some sort of spooky shadow monster...? I think I've got the thrust of it, but the prose was often too elaborate and distant for me to be sure. That said, there's nothing here that's unfixably broken. I like the idea of the setting, even if it didn't really come through in this chapter. I'm not entirely sure if the tone is supposed to be serious or whimsical. You can do both, of course, but it has to feel really really deliberate, or it just reads weird.

If you have any questions, I'll try an follow up as best as I can. Also, feel free to jump into the flash fiction Thunderdome. We'll help you iron out the prose-level kinks.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Wow, thanks for the critiques guys! I worked up the nerve to refresh the page like 5 times the day after I posted it, and started freaking myself out so much that I decided to just let it sit till today. My problems with prose have been a constant issue in my writing, and even though i've made some progress, I really needed people to dive in there and pick out the specifics. Especially the shadow bit. The thing is, the entire situation there is meant to show how Jeff's gone into shock and he's kinda losing it. I went way too heavily into the metaphor and instead of "oh wow poor kid accidentally killed someone and he cant bring himself to admit it yet" its "these bandits have maaaagical poooowers and they're very spooky".

As to the opening, since everything that happened earlier took place in autumn, I really wanted to set the winter-time atmosphere from the word "go". This is the only time i'll defend myself with something written in an earlier chapter, since I didn't give those to you guys, but I figured that since it was the start of a new arc in the story that the descriptions should be thorough. What they weren't meant to be was flowery, and that's an issue. It's supposed to be the village that Jeff's lived in his entire life - it shouldn't be some distant, vague mutterings, he should be thinking about the secret spot he and Tommy built in those woods, the awkward little snowman on the edge of the forest, that sort of thing. The way I wrote it, he's more like some kind of dull tourist dragged along on a boring trip.

In fact, that's a problem with quite a lot of the story. It's from the point of view of someone who's, say, watching a movie for the tenth time instead of the first. Someone who's watched it so much it's become habit, and while they're only seeing the broad strokes, they're taking just as long to watch it as someone who's fresh. It's like even while I was writing it I thought it was dull - that wasn't the case, sure, but that's definitely how it reads. And then when things do pick up, they're so thickly steeped in metaphor that it becomes a mess of nonsense. It's like i'm trying to tackle calculus before i've gotten addition down pat - a scene like that might be interesting if it was preceded by traditional action. Instead, it's the height of tension in the chapter, and that's really not saying much.

Now the breastplate is kind of it's own thing. This is the bit where you can tell i'm writing each chapter in one go, without too much of a plan at all. It's supposed to be taking on some kind of symbolism, it's supposed to go through its own little arc, and then I brought it up in too many silly ways in one chapter alone. I also didn't quite understand the fact that symbolism is cool, but it should give way to reality drat near every time. The whole thing is either going to get cut in the second draft, or it's going to be massively retooled to be more sensible. I still kinda like the idea, but i'm not so sure I can really pull off symbolism at the moment - i'm starting to think I should be focusing more on the nitty gritty stuff. Once I get good at that, maybe then we can move on to the more abstract stuff. For the chapters to come, that'll be my objective.

I thought Thunderdome was always a toxx for some reason. Let's loving roll deep

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Well, gj on having a great attitude toward crits. Honestly, I think you should just plug ahead on the novel and make some kind of note file for stuff you want to change later. Like I said in my crit, I'm hesitant to get too deep into critiquing line-by-line, because right now, you need to be making the big, broad shapes of your story. Like, the symbolism with the armor? Yeah, it didn't *quite* work here, but I got the sense that it was something symbolic, so keep working at it. Like...the prose level stuff, you can fix. Stay focused on what you want the story to do on a more general level, then hone in on the details in later drafts.

klapman posted:

As to the opening, since everything that happened earlier took place in autumn, I really wanted to set the winter-time atmosphere from the word "go". This is the only time i'll defend myself with something written in an earlier chapter, since I didn't give those to you guys, but I figured that since it was the start of a new arc in the story that the descriptions should be thorough. What they weren't meant to be was flowery, and that's an issue. It's supposed to be the village that Jeff's lived in his entire life - it shouldn't be some distant, vague mutterings, he should be thinking about the secret spot he and Tommy built in those woods, the awkward little snowman on the edge of the forest, that sort of thing. The way I wrote it, he's more like some kind of dull tourist dragged along on a boring trip.

Fair enough, with the season stuff. It's just, lots of times, weather and scenery are kind of boring to read about on their own. It's better when you work in details that are totally unique to your setting, relevant to the conflict, or personal to the character. But again, something to be tweaked in later drafts. I think you totally have the right instinct, re: Jeff's familiarity with the village (although i will say, I was envisioning more of a city, based on your description and the fact that there is this longass, elaborate alley).

But yeah, if you want help on pure prose mechanics, jump into Thunderdome. It's good to participate for at least a couple weeks, since crits can take a while to come out. But we'd be happy to help you out! If you have any questions, you can pop into #thunderdome on synIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Sitting Here posted:

Well, gj on having a great attitude toward crits. Honestly, I think you should just plug ahead on the novel and make some kind of note file for stuff you want to change later. Like I said in my crit, I'm hesitant to get too deep into critiquing line-by-line, because right now, you need to be making the big, broad shapes of your story. Like, the symbolism with the armor? Yeah, it didn't *quite* work here, but I got the sense that it was something symbolic, so keep working at it. Like...the prose level stuff, you can fix. Stay focused on what you want the story to do on a more general level, then hone in on the details in later drafts.

Fair enough, with the season stuff. It's just, lots of times, weather and scenery are kind of boring to read about on their own. It's better when you work in details that are totally unique to your setting, relevant to the conflict, or personal to the character. But again, something to be tweaked in later drafts. I think you totally have the right instinct, re: Jeff's familiarity with the village (although i will say, I was envisioning more of a city, based on your description and the fact that there is this longass, elaborate alley).

But yeah, if you want help on pure prose mechanics, jump into Thunderdome. It's good to participate for at least a couple weeks, since crits can take a while to come out. But we'd be happy to help you out! If you have any questions, you can pop into #thunderdome on synIRC.

Yeah, keeping on trucking seems to be the best call. I read my latest chapter aloud yesterday, and it was one I felt even more proud of than this one, and it's the quickest I went from bliss to committing suicide by ulcer. I've been taking two days off a week, Monday and Thursday, even though i've felt the urge to write. I just didn't want to end up so far down the wrong track that i'd get discouraged - but now that I know Thunderdome isn't all toxxes all the time, I can use those prompts and low word counts to hone my craft. Honestly, now that i've spent so much time writing this alone and keeping myself from editing it, the idea of being able to work on a story for more than one day at a time seems like a luxury.

By the way, thanks a ton for linking this thread in Thunderdome. That put a big smile on my face. After the initial hype and the first day of no replies I got really worried that I might have wasted everyone's time. I got all up in my own head like "Yeah, I can take it, crits ain't nothin, gently caress it!". I guess it was time for me to learn that to have nobody critique really is worse than reading through scathing ones. It's like a Sword of Damocles deal, I suppose.

I really do appreciate you guys critiquing, especially since it must've been irritating to jump into the middle of a story rather than the start. And frankly, hearing that it was mediocre made me kinda happy. My biggest problem as a writer aside from the metaphors has been extremely inconsistent quality. One paragraph will be really good, the next will be hot garbage, so on and so forth. It's still present to an extent, but if the overall impression is of mediocrity rather than wordy schizophrenia, i've made some sort of step forward.

I should be writing chapter thirteen and i'm doing this instead, so i'll just let it die here. I'll be jumping in on the next TD prompt with relish.

• Locked thread