Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
I'd have vigorous sexual intercourse with Anne Hathaway if given the chance . Does Matt McConaughey have vigorous sexual intercourse with Anne Hathaway in the movie interstellar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Merf?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Professor of Cats posted:

Lol you dumb goons. Who gives a poo poo about who put the black hole where; the movie was fun as poo poo. God drat.

it was boring as gently caress

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
Murph was the first dream layer

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Lol you dumb goons. Who gives a poo poo about who put the black hole where; the movie was fun as poo poo. God drat.

This is a laugh because nolan movies are like expressly anti fun

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
instead of being called InterStellar it should've been called InterKeller and detailed the adventures of a tiny team of scientists who invaded the lifeblood of american icon Helen Keller.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

instead of being called InterStellar it should've been called InterKeller and detailed the adventures of a tiny team of scientists who invaded the lifeblood of american icon Helen Keller.

An in-depth documentary on the creative process of legendary chef Thomas Keller

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Shaquin posted:

This is a laugh because nolan movies are like expressly anti fun

Even the Batman movies were straight drama

It's like Christopher Nolan is trying to be the nerd Michael Mann and failing miserably

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if you think nolan movies are fun you might be autistic. like i know that gets tossed around a lot as a joke but im dead loving serious you need to get checked by a medical professional.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
If you ignore all his attempts at being smart, Nolan movies are actually fun action movies, sorry

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Block posted:

edit: a big dumb part is that the ship in orbit around the time dilation planet would experience the same time dilation :science:

THIS part really bothers me. I get the plot device but if it's the black hole causing the time dilation independent of the planet, and both objects (the ship and planet) are the same distance from the singularity...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

If you ignore all his attempts at being smart, Nolan movies are actually fun action movies, sorry

i actually seriously disagree i think they suck at being action films too. the action parts are filmed in such a bland, sterile way save for a handful of set pieces that get tossed into every movie that last like 10 seconds

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

thathonkey posted:

i actually seriously disagree i think they suck at being action films too. the action parts are filmed in such a bland, sterile way save for a handful of set pieces that get tossed into every movie that last like 10 seconds

Ok but even you can surely appreciate the jarring mix of try hard drama and try hard action

By which I mean you can laugh at how absurd it was after the movie

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

Ok but even you can surely appreciate the jarring mix of try hard drama and try hard action

By which I mean you can laugh at how absurd it was after the movie

I enjoy 0 aspects of nolan's film-making. Is that clear enough for you?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Did you enjoy hit movie inception and memes based on it tho

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Ahundredbux posted:

I thought that movie was fun as hell too. The last batman sucked though.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
First two were great fun though

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
His movies are sterile and clinical as all hell. It's real weird to try and say they are fun when the mans entire style is so surgically bland.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Shaquin posted:

His movies are sterile and clinical as all hell. It's real weird to try and say they are fun when the mans entire style is so surgically bland.

-Said the most fun goon at a party.

Also what did that even mean. You sound p. Pedantic right here.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

What even is this? Are you advocating just not having any sort of critical thought in regards to media you view? There is nothing wrong at all with movies that are dumb but still good and entertaining but Nolan's films don't fall into that category. This isn't controversial here, you are trying to fit them into a mold that they could not be more unfit for.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hmm travelling to unknown worlds in a spacecraft with some cool dude robots, doesn't sound like a fun adventure to me

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Also what did that even mean. You sound p. Pedantic right here.

I don't trust any man with a cat, professor

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

no it was quite bad ... esp relative to the potential of the concept.

some goon summed it up nicely how bad the movie is when he described the scene where the guy is pointing a gun and the other guy is like "no, you need to dream bigger" and pulls out a slightly larger grenade launcher. it's a pretty good analogy for nolan's overall lack of creativity.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why didn't the other guy just activate laser vision or rocket powered fists? It's the only environment (dreams) where having super powers makes sense, and instead they are shooting each other with 9mm in barren warehouses

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
A good example of an entertaining film that might be considered poorly made in regards to the elements of film making would be something like a Shaw Bros. martial arts film, the difference is that they aren't attempting to be anything other than what they are. They work as a perfectly adequate vehicle for dumb adventurous fun. Nolan's films masquerade as something grander than what they are, fail to live up to that, and interesting concepts like inception or interstellar produced in a vacuous way combined with being devoid of humanity or imagination does not make for "fun".

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

I don't trust any man with a cat, professor

And I don't blame you one bit.

Shaquin posted:

A good example of an entertaining film that might be considered poorly made in regards to the elements of film making would be something like a Shaw Bros. martial arts film, the difference is that they aren't attempting to be anything other than what they are. They work as a perfectly adequate vehicle for dumb adventurous fun. Nolan's films masquerade as something grander than what they are, fail to live up to that, and interesting concepts like inception or interstellar produced in a vacuous way combined with being devoid of humanity or imagination does not make for "fun".

Beep boop

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

rejutka posted:

Welcome ta Murph! *punches a Nolan in the face*

Christopher Dolan

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Fonzarelli posted:

hmm travelling to unknown worlds in a spacecraft with some cool dude robots, doesn't sound like a fun adventure to me

And yet, this director managed to suck the fun out of that concept. Is this such a difficult concept to get?

On a completely unrelated note, anyone want to estimate what the combined effects of time dilation and redshift would be on the radio beacon from the surface of the planet? Would it have been even receivable by radio?

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Frozen Horse posted:

And yet, this director managed to suck the fun out of that concept. Is this such a difficult concept to get?

On a completely unrelated note, anyone want to estimate what the combined effects of time dilation and redshift would be on the radio beacon from the surface of the planet? Would it have been even receivable by radio?

loving nope you dumb fun-hating nerd

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Interstellar was fun" declares goon that thinks kraft mac and cheese is fancy Italian food.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Insterstellar is one of the most tedious films i've seen recently. lots of words come to mind to describe the movie, some even mildly positive... it's just fun is not one of them. there's really nothing fun about it.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

thathonkey posted:

Insterstellar is one of the most tedious films i've seen recently. lots of words come to mind to describe the movie, some even mildly positive... it's just fun is not one of them. there's really nothing fun about it.

no my friend it was the other nolan movies like inception and batman that are fun

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

thathonkey posted:

if you think nolan movies are fun you might be autistic. like i know that gets tossed around a lot as a joke but im dead loving serious you need to get checked by a medical professional.

i like how in interestellar every character when they are feeling an emotion announces what emotion theyre feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ahundredbux posted:

no my friend it was the other nolan movies like inception and batman that are fun

mememnto was pretty good, the second batman was good, the prestige was ok too, the newer ones have been mostly garbage

• Locked thread