Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
So the wikipedia front page is actual pretty cool. It has news that western media barely if ever reports on, but mostly it has a whole bunch of trivia, some of which is cool, some of which is just lame boring stuff about creeks. However, the choices they make for the front page are sometimes...questionable.

For example, let's say they're trying to be relatively equal in their coverage, how many times per year would the front page bring up the 2004-2007 television show Veronica Mars? A couple? Maybe three times? Maybe never?

What if I told you that in the "Did you know?" section from June to December it was brought up at a rate of more than once per month? Like so.

December

quote:

... that a remix of "We Used to Be Friends" by The Dandy Warhols was used for the third season premiere of Veronica Mars, "Welcome Wagon"?

November

quote:

... that the character of Ed Argent in "Show Me the Monkey", an episode of Veronica Mars, was originally envisioned to be a cameo by Ted Nugent?

... that Harry Winer and Rob Thomas created one scene from "Of Vice and Men", an episode of Veronica Mars, because they thought the show was lacking in visual complexity?

... that the Veronica Mars episode "Poughkeepsie, Tramps and Thieves" was scored by Mark Lanegan, with whom series creator Rob Thomas had gone to elementary school?

October

quote:

... that in "Spit & Eggs", an episode of Veronica Mars, director Rob Thomas used 27 camera angles in a scene that took up to 11 hours to film?

September

quote:

... that Patty Hearst guest starred on "Lord of the Pi's", an episode of Veronica Mars?

... that Dianna Agron made her first appearance on Veronica Mars in "President Evil"?

August

quote:

... that when asked, Veronica Mars actor Enrico Colantoni immediately suggested former Just Shoot Me! co-star and friend Laura San Giacomo for the role of his love interest in "Charlie Don't Surf"?

... that "Donut Run", an episode of Veronica Mars, was the first professional directing job for series creator Rob Thomas, who was even unsure when to call "action" during filming?

July

quote:

... that Kyle Gallner did not know that his character in Veronica Mars, Cassidy "Beaver" Casablancas, would be revealed as a murderer in the second season finale, "Not Pictured", until a costumer told him?

June

quote:

that Alia Shawkat and Michael Cera asked not to play roles similar to the ones they played on Arrested Development when they guest-starred on "The Rapes of Graff", an episode of Veronica Mars?

The weird part is that it barely comes up before this. Did a disgraced producer of the show start running Wikipedia? The front page has some great international stuff, but its nerdiness shines through a little much sometimes. This is all only from the month of November

quote:

... that players can ride on elephants in Far Cry 4?

... that Battle of Britain, a turn-based strategy video game, contains elements of first-person shooting?

... that a Ni no Kuni collectible card game was developed for mobile devices?

... that Thorn EMI's video game Submarine Commander was called "the underwater Star Raiders", referring to the Atari 8-bit's killer app?

... that Synapse Software's 1982 video game Slime was reviewed as having sound effects that were the "worst ever heard on any computer game"?

... that the community reaction to Dead Island‍‍ '​‍s announcement trailer made the game developer Techland adjust the game's tone?

... that a retrospective review of Pssst noted that its graphics were a significant improvement over those of previous games for the ZX Spectrum?

... that Japanese animation film company Studio Ghibli produced the animated sequences for the video games Ni no Kuni: Dominion of the Dark Djinn and Wrath of the White Witch?

Do we really need to bring up video games that often on the front page of Wikipedia? Also, whatever the gently caress this is:

quote:

... that the anime series Charlotte has been described as defying the "moe anime" stereotype?

Wikipedia has an archive of all the "Did you know?" articles they've ran, some of them are pretty interesting to look back at. Also, this is kind of cute:

quote:

... that Jack jumper ant workers are gamergates?

Bring up cool or weird poo poo that Wikipedia has featured in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
op i am so, so sorry about your crippling autism :(

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
hmmm tell me more about this "moe anime" stereotype

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
its a paedophile code word

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, tell us some "moe" about it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
Second thought, nm, kill urself op thx

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I would probably sleep better at night knowing it was some ex-producer still trying to promote a show, but it's no doubt just some crazy fan who tries to relate everything in their lives to a terrible show instead

In other fun wiki news:

I dont know what on earth to search for, or whether I should, but for a while, wikipedia had a problem with an oversaturation of user-submitted photos of dicks, cum and disgusting poo poo. People were uploading photos of their own cum for wiki articles about semen. Like 90% of articles about sexuality have photos, while something like 30% of articles have photos (I made up those stats). I think there was an effort to curb the usersubmitted dick pics, not sure how that turned out

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Cantaloupe posted:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
:nws: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropenis :nws:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

quote:

... that Kristen Bell, star of the television show Veronica Mars, is pretty and I bet her hair smells nice?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Madcosby posted:

I would probably sleep better at night knowing it was some ex-producer still trying to promote a show, but it's no doubt just some crazy fan who tries to relate everything in their lives to a terrible show instead

In other fun wiki news:

I dont know what on earth to search for, or whether I should, but for a while, wikipedia had a problem with an oversaturation of user-submitted photos of dicks, cum and disgusting poo poo. People were uploading photos of their own cum for wiki articles about semen. Like 90% of articles about sexuality have photos, while something like 30% of articles have photos (I made up those stats). I think there was an effort to curb the usersubmitted dick pics, not sure how that turned out

Yah check the wikimedia commons for big laffs

:nws: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Micropenis

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
There's something happening here what it is ain't exactly clear.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
more like wikivirgins

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What if I told you that it changes what it displays based on your cookies?

So I guess stop obsessing with Veronica Mars conspiracy theory poo poo and it'll stop appearing in your search results. It's a brave new world.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
more like virginpedia online source for virgins to click on

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Get a hobby op

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

These things are true.

Citation: I'm Dax Shepard.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/wikigroaning/

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
I retract my former hostility, and acknowledge that this is a valid thread idea. However, I have never seen veronica mars.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

help im being gangstalked

Mucky
Dec 26, 2005

WHY IS THERE A CHERRY ON A STICK IN THIS DRINK? IT'S NOT AS IF IT DOES ANYTHING FOR THE FLAVOR. WHY DOES ANYONE TAKE A PERFECTLY GOOD DRINK AND THEN PUT IN A CHERRY ON A POLE?
Sperglords like Veronica Mars.

Sperglords edit Wikipedia.

Sperglords monitor Veronica Mars mentions on Wikipedia.

QED

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
dude how in the hell do you even know this

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
she's not as cool as buffy

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec