Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Volume posted:

This but also people who write anything about video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
in the FART of the PEE

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
op you've got a "whale" of a thread going here

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
in the morning the WGN people sometimes let the mask slip slightly after a particularly inane series of stories

"This is what we're doing now?"

"They're... they're trending, Larry."

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

the station i work for is represented in this video, but i won't say which one

a lot of people don't realize this but TV newsrooms subscribe to wire services like the AP and use that copy for national/world news stories. We don't investigate and write news from china, because that would be dumb. we let an ap or reuters reporter do it for us.

it's like your local newspaper publishing a national news story from the AP -- no one questions the fact that their local paper publishes things it didn't write.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

could we rewrite the AP copy? sure, and we often do. But our industry suffered in the recession just like everyone else. My newsroom lost half its staff and we still haven't added those positions back.

surveys after the recession showed most people had noticed a drop in the quality of their local news product, but almost no one knew why.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

A misanthrope posted:

could we rewrite the AP copy? sure, and we often do. But our industry suffered in the recession just like everyone else. My newsroom lost half its staff and we still haven't added those positions back.

surveys after the recession showed most people had noticed a drop in the quality of their local news product, but almost no one knew why.

Hire me I'll write stuff

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Hire me I'll write stuff

sure! as long as you don't mind working in the lowest-paid profession requiring a college education. expect to make barely more than minimum wage for many, many years.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
good

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

sure! as long as you don't mind working in the lowest-paid profession requiring a college education. expect to make barely more than minimum wage for many, many years.

yeah but just imagine how sturdy their boot straps will be when they finally get that big story!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

A misanthrope posted:

imagine the united states had a functioning minimum wage, and then that wouldn't be so bad

you literally would make more money as a unionised wharf rat with no education beyond a GED and a heavy machinery certification than you would with a bachelor's in journalism in the united states lmfbo the american government hates its people so goddamn much

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

niiice

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish there was more ethics in whale movie journalism

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

A misanthrope posted:

This is why that Conan video is so funny. Everyone knows it's because news stations are being cheap.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

imagine the united states had a functioning minimum wage, and then that wouldn't be so bad

you literally would make more money as a unionised wharf rat with no education beyond a GED and a heavy machinery certification than you would with a bachelor's in journalism in the united states lmfbo the american government hates its people so goddamn much

Supply and demand.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

poo poo jobs get paid poo poo, get used to it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
"journalists" fuckin lmfao

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

symbolic posted:

:laffo: if you think "journalism" is actually a profession anymore

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I had that image shattered in 2003 as a freshman journalism major, if I had ever finished college I would have left that major very quickly

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

huskarl_marx posted:

this is unironic, i wish i was a hack journo for some lovely city rag so i could get away with printing things like "bayside boys beat bowning badgers, alliteration always awesome actually"
If you're gonna be a hack, you best hack the best you can.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

JB50 posted:

poo poo jobs get paid poo poo, get used to it.

and lovely economic policy results in a lovely economy

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

and lovely economic policy results in a lovely economy

Thanks Obama!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
american economic policy has been in absolute retard territory for almost the entirety of the last three decades. or was that the joke?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this journalism is unrealistic. my immersion in the real world is ruined.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lou Grant was one of the best TV shows and everyone who works in journalism should live up to its ideals, imo

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hell Yeah posted:

this journalism is unrealistic. my immersion in the real world is ruined.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to tweet it anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

cram me sideways posted:

in the FART of the PEE

• Locked thread