Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I picked up like $100 worth of the 10 year Phillips 2for$5 bulbs when home depot had them in march. I love them, better color and light than cfl and less power than cfl.. I

The only issue is the poo poo dimmers that were in this house made them flicker even at 100% power, I changed to regular on off light switch for $2 and no more issurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I have had very good luck with these: G7 Incline LED Standard 60W Replacement A19 Traditional Lamp Light Bulb

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
what the gently caress is an e26, is america trying to be special by having a custom version of the e27?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
E26 is 115V, E27 is 230V. I think they're the same thread size.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Baronjutter posted:

die almost as fast as a grampa-style bulb.

Christ man, the mortality of people's grandpas is a sensitive subject!

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Pilsner posted:

What's your source for saying that?

My source is how often I ran into customers having problems with them. The US market is completely different than Europe though and I can't speak to their quality outside the US.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Any good LED bulbs that have color temps of 6000k - 6500k? The highest I've seen of the big brands are 5000k. The only thing I've found is this Philips bulb that seems like it comes from Japan and only works on 230V.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I just wanted to leave a mini review of the LIFX White 800 LED bulbs. These are smart LEDs that can be turned on and off an Android/iOS app, don't require a "hub" to be connected to your router, and cost about $40 USD a pop. I wouldn't recommend them. It was a pain to install the bulbs since the LIFX app had all sorts of trouble detecting the bulbs. And once I finally managed to install the bulbs, the firmware update kept crashing the LIFX app.

After a few hours of troubleshooting, I finally managed to connect the bulbs to the app. But then they decided to stop "talking" to the app a few hours afterwards. The LEDs seem to work fine for about an hour after I reset the LEDs, but it their connectivity to the app always dies afterwards. I even tried to install them in different fixtures- no dice.

Pictures of the app problems, when the bulbs decided not to connect with the LIFX app:

So, yeah. I love the concept, and when they DO work they're nice. But there are some clear issues with these bulbs, and I wouldn't recommend buying them until LIFX fixes their stability and app issues.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We're buying new led fixtures from a lightning specialty manufacturer (Odelic). Our contractor gets 1/3 off the prices in the catalog.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

melon cat posted:

helpful review

Wow, I never imagined I'd see the day where someone says "These $40 lightbulbs don't work very well with my telephone" Hell, I don't think this was even foreseen in science fiction.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Do any of these app oriented lightbulbs work well and respect privacy? It seems like all of them have some flaw, be it invading your privacy or sucking too badly to invade your privacy or even work.

I'd be down with buying a bulb with its own remote or system or whatever. Having a bulb phone home and requesting access to my contacts and location is just weird as hell for a lightbulb. It's creepy thinking phillips is checking my facebook and keeping a record of when my friggin lights are on or off (not that phillips necessarily does that, I just know their app has over requested permissions on phones in the past)

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Do LED bulbs have good warm colours yet? What about tubes?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

Wow, I never imagined I'd see the day where someone says "These $40 lightbulbs don't work very well with my telephone" Hell, I don't think this was even foreseen in science fiction.

It felt really weird to tell my wife about how, "I have to update the lightbulbs' firmware." :tinfoil:

I even felt a bit weird contacting LIFX to discuss the return process. "All I wanted was some lightbulbs that connect to invisible Wifi signals and allow me to remotely control them from anywhere in the world. Am I asking for too much??"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

teraflame posted:

Do LED bulbs have good warm colours yet? What about tubes?

Our all-led catalog had a huge variety of lights adjustable via remote/app for both hue and brightness.
Simpler lights had a choice of warm or cool only, and the small decorative lights were almost all warm.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Guess I'll ask in here; Anyone know of a decent RGB LED that'll work using a local server or something sane like that rather than the hue hub or whatever?

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

johnny sack posted:

Outdoors, I have a bunch of low-voltage landscaping lighting. I think there are 12 lights on my property, all aiming at my house or trees or whatever. I replaced the halogen lights (each used 20W) with LED bulbs (each use 3W). I can run my entire system on less power than 2 of the halogen bulbs that came with these lights. The LED colors produced are just what I want, so they are great in that regard. However, I have had to replace 3 or 4 of them in about 2 years. These lights are supposed to be sealed by a rubber gasket from rain/snow/whatever. I suspect that water gets in and fries them.

As for an overall cost savings, I calculated it at the time. When I bought my bulbs, the upfront money was something like $250. To get that kind of a return, based on the power consumption estimate of $0.12/kWh, it was going to take about 14 months. Overall, I would recommend replacing as many lights as you can afford with LEDs. To me, they have proven to be reliable and much cheaper than the alternatives.

A few years back I, too, replaced my low-voltage landscape bulbs with LED's. They held up well, and I think I had maybe 1 or two out of 15-20 that went bad; when they failed, it looked as if there was a corrosion problem (moisture intrusion?). My only complaint is the color and brightness . . . they had a pinpoint kind of brightness, but that didn't translate into actual illumination of the immediate area around them. The lights were also quite "cool" (blue-white), and I would say that they provided less illumination than a 4w incandescent counterpart. I bought them from an eBay source. Where did you get yours? Have you had any issues with brightness?

Love,
Vitalis

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have a recommended brand/model for bulbs for outside lighting? We're looking to replace the incandescents so we can actually have out outside lights on without hurting.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I love all the Phillips and Cree bulbs I've bought. The Cree bulbs are definitely the cheaper of the two. I've had mine outside a couple years now, no issues yet. In fact, other than one cheap Chinese faux-edison-style bulb, I've yet to have an LED bulb fail. I did return some super-cheap Feit Electric ones to Costco because pieces literally started falling off of them.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm. Well, due to circumstances, I went out and got some right now. Crees, 65w Equivalent BR30s for the recessed outside lights, and Cree PAR38s as well. 5k because why not, we're mostly using the lights to deter people. We got egged and it's been decided to have our lights on at night, and 6x65w Incandescents weren't going to cut it.

I also took the opportunity to buy a 100w equivalent. Man, I don't know why but I really like it for inside. Might have to start playing around with lighting.

Kharohz
Jul 25, 2007

THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE
Always pay attention to the hours listed on the bulb before buying them as they can vary incredibly. Whenever LED bulbs hit retail initially they all had about 50,000 Hours lifetime ratings. Now if you aren't careful, some of them have 2,000 Hour ratings which is basically the same as a 'double life" incandescent bulb.

Also most LEDs have a warranties, be sure to take advantage of them if you have any bulbs go out.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
A lot of LED bulbs are not designed for enclosed fixtures, unless they are built in to the fixtures. I had a hard time finding a traditional looking outdoor light that had a hidden motion sensor and also did not have a sealed glass enclosure. In-laws also wanted an led bulb, but it had to look like a regular bulb.

That led bulb pictured is a Sylvania 60w equivalent for $10. It's more than the cheapo ones but it's got a better rated life and warranty. I was gonna go with a cheap one but the rated life was miniscule compared to the Sylvania. I'm assuming the bulb I bought has some heatsink tech hidden in the frosted glass, it also is heavier than the cheapo leds.

I have some Philps spotlight style 95w equivalent bulbs and they were not cheap with a large heatsink around the actual bulb. I have two on an old outdoor motion sensor fixture and they have been running fine for about 2 years so far, although it is well protected from rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Haven't seen anyone mention these yet. The LED Bright Stik.

I had to try them because of the novelty of a cylindrical bulb with an edison base.
I have a few of these and I really like the 2850k color temp. 3 of them for $10 at Home Depot.

Claimed 15,000 hour life

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/solutions/led-lamps-and-modules/general-purpose/led-bright-stik.jsp

• Locked thread