Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
i drink and post, as a social experiment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Poke posted:

Been working for a helicopter company that flies workers to oil rigs in the gulf. Only been doing it for 2 years but the pay is good. Always wondered what it would be like to use my license on fixed winged aircraft.

Without overtime i usually clear 67k a year without overtime. been here in LA for 3 years now honestly its not that diffeent than helo work

Poke
Mar 1, 2004

Greataval posted:

Without overtime i usually clear 67k a year without overtime. been here in LA for 3 years now honestly its not that diffeent than helo work

Los Angeles? I'm guessing cost of living is vastly different from the west coast and the gulf coast. Everything is a lot cheaper down here. The downside is i live in the Deep South.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

ghostter posted:

anyone else here work day shifts and night shifts? I think it's the best because half the time I can get some socializing done and the other half get some relaxin in.

I was okay with these at first but when I got older it just totally hosed me up and I'll never do it again.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
I'm a paramedic 7-7 4 on 4 off alternating day/nights. Usually old people falling. Sometimes we get the cool poo poo like someone becoming one with their car on the highway or deciding that a 3am table saw adventure is a good idea. Anytime we do something that makes the news RCMP/fire or that new helicopter usually gets the credit. But hey at least the pay sucks.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
We have had a dearth of workplace images in here, so here's something fun:

I'll report back in an hour after I've chisled that poo poo out. I tell ya: 4 hours of sleep a "night", thousands in unpaid overtime accrued, no social life? This is just the icing on the cake, right here friends.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I work a hotel night gig and keep reading folks with office related night gigs. I think I need to find one of those. Would like to find a new job that's more consistent on day to day requirements.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
First shift is loving lazy. Everyone on second shift agrees 100% across the facility.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Rime posted:

We have had a dearth of workplace images in here, so here's something fun:

I'll report back in an hour after I've chisled that poo poo out. I tell ya: 4 hours of sleep a "night", thousands in unpaid overtime accrued, no social life? This is just the icing on the cake, right here friends.

What am I looking at? Is it some sort of plastic melted onto a grid of some sort?

As for me, I used to be a lab tech at a hospital. It was small enough that we only had two techs on the night shift. We processed samples from overnight test, did ER testing, stuff like that. Most nights were boring as hell, with normal timed draws (Glucose every two hours on the patient in bed 12C. ) as well as a slow but steady stream of ER samples. Never fail, someone comes in, regardless of their complaint/injury, they are getting a Chem 7 and CBC at the least, and usually one or two more tests. Once or twice a night we'd do a drug screen on someone who'd been in a wreck. The only fun came when the ER staff could not get the blood sample. If they couldn't get it, it was up to me. Sometimes it was a long-time junkie who had destroyed all their veins. These folks were easy, I just talk to them for a minute, tell them I needed to get some blood and ask where they were currently shooting up. They always knew where a good vein was. On one dude I have to use a butterfly to get a vein between his toes. But I got it.

The worst were the ones who had been arrested and were belligerent. Some were arrested because they were belligerent. They usually involved a bunch of people, police officers included, holding the person down as still as possible so I could get the sample. Others, however, were people, usually guys, who realized that the sample was officially incriminating evidence and didn't want it taken. They were the worst. I developed a simple technique that usually worked. It was probably unethical as hell, but it worked most of the time. These folks would be lying on the gurney, wrists and ankles handcuffed to the rails. They would struggle when I started swabbing their arm. So I would nicely ask the attending officer to hold the person's head steady and I'd swab their neck, right over the carotid artery. This would usually get a pause from the arrestee, and a "What are you doing???"

I'd reply "I'm swabbing your neck. Since you are struggling, I can't use your arm. The officer will hold your head steady and I'll take the sample from your carotid artery. I'd advise you not to struggle. The last guy who did, well, it wasn't pretty. You see, the needle" (I hold it where he can see it) "will rip through the skin, opening the artery so you bleed outward, but the tip is the really pointy part" (at this point in the talk I point the needle directly at his eye, like I'm giving him a really good view, but in reality, its an unmistakable threat) And this pointy part will really, really tear up the back wall of your artery. meaning you will bleed inward. This is much, much harder to fix, and the blood supply to your brain will be cut off while they try to do it. So, you have a choice. We hold you down and I take the blood from your neck, and probably don't rip your artery open, or, you can calm down and I'll get the sample from your arm. Your choice, but I can get the sample from either spot, or I can just open up the tube and catch the blood as it squirts from the artery after you tear it open. It doesn't really matter to me, but I will get this sample one way or another."

Usually they would calm down long enough for me to get my samples. A couple of officers may have been uncomfortable, but I really enjoyed it.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 17, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
That sounds horrifying and you sound like a scary person. :ohdear:

And yes, that's a 500 ton injection mold which failed to form the product properly. The mould is about 4.5 feet tall. I'm still in here with a blowtorch and chisel trying to get it out, praying the machine doesn't trip and turn everything above my knees into liquid. :science:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Rime posted:

That sounds horrifying and you sound like a scary person. :ohdear:

And yes, that's a 500 ton injection mold which failed to form the product properly. The mould is about 4.5 feet tall. I'm still in here with a blowtorch and chisel trying to get it out, praying the machine doesn't trip and turn everything above my knees into liquid. :science:

So I'm guessing the blue is the plastic and what I thought was a grid are the extruder ports?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Blue is the plastic, the grid is what the molten plastic is supposed to flow into and take the shape of under pressure.. When it works right.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo genesplicer.

Just another 12-hour shift of sitting around and doing nothing until a bunch more pressure gear gets moved and bolted. Oil is down to $29 right now and Iran's sanctions lifted today, so my industry's about to go from coughing up blood to making GBS threads it.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Microwaves Mom posted:

all of dogballs posts make me :smith:
You need to find something else to do. Your life sounds like a living hell.

still tard wrangling, probably will be for a long time. i just day-drink a lot and go see movies by myself because i might actually hit someone if i have to socialize. totally healthy behaviors, right?

it's really not too bad half the time, we get to watch netflix and just hang out in the house living room for most of the night if the boys stay asleep. a lot of life choices are just put into question when one of the kids decides to take a dump in the middle of the dining room during a meal. thank gently caress we don't have any carpets

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Fly Molo posted:

Holy poo poo genesplicer.

Just another 12-hour shift of sitting around and doing nothing until a bunch more pressure gear gets moved and bolted. Oil is down to $29 right now and Iran's sanctions lifted today, so my industry's about to go from coughing up blood to making GBS threads it.

That's my dark side. On the other end of the spectrum, we had a home for children who had been severely physically and mentally abused. They were tough, because, here we were inflicting pain upon them for what was a good reason, but they didn't see it that way. I worked really well with them. Mainly because I was really, really patient. they'd bring in half a dozen at once, and I'd have a talk with them about what I needed to do, and how the needle allowed us to get the blood for the tests. I was very candid with them. Yes, it does hurt, but only a little bit. Slowly, I'd gain their trust and I'd get the samples for the tests the doctor ordered. What would normally take a few minutes might take as long as half an hour, but the next time, it would be so much easier. A few weeks later we'd get a group of kids, and there would be one who had been in before. I'd do the same routine, then start with the kid we'd tested before. It went really smoothly. The best part was getting them to understand that we were not trying to hurt them. If it was a quiet day, we'd show them the lab so they could see how the machines analyzed their blood.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genesplicer posted:

That's my dark side. On the other end of the spectrum, we had a home for children who had been severely physically and mentally abused. They were tough, because, here we were inflicting pain upon them for what was a good reason, but they didn't see it that way. I worked really well with them. Mainly because I was really, really patient. they'd bring in half a dozen at once, and I'd have a talk with them about what I needed to do, and how the needle allowed us to get the blood for the tests. I was very candid with them. Yes, it does hurt, but only a little bit. Slowly, I'd gain their trust and I'd get the samples for the tests the doctor ordered. What would normally take a few minutes might take as long as half an hour, but the next time, it would be so much easier. A few weeks later we'd get a group of kids, and there would be one who had been in before. I'd do the same routine, then start with the kid we'd tested before. It went really smoothly. The best part was getting them to understand that we were not trying to hurt them. If it was a quiet day, we'd show them the lab so they could see how the machines analyzed their blood.

Okay, that's actually really heartwarming. Sad, but heartwarming. Those poor kids.

e: my dark side is screwing over day shift then playing dumb because I'm mad at them for loving me over. No way guys, you left it that way, don't you remember? Then they do the same to me.

The circle of life.

lobotomy molo fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 18, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

genesplicer posted:

Genesplicer, you really are a mad scientist. The benevolent overlord we deserve. :3:

Work has decided to not pay out my overtime and instead attempt to force a backdated averaging agreement down my throat, which has made me question whether continuing to work the graveyard shift is truly worthwhile. They seem unconcerned that, with their two major technicians on holidays until March, if I were to quit they would pretty much be perma-boned. Time to head to employment standards arbitration and hope they are dumb enough to vindictively fire me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For those of you that need to fill out reports and stuff for the day shift but leave them unstapled. Play a little evil trick and use an ink pen to draw a little line in one of the top corners so it looks like the reports are stapled together.

• Locked thread