Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

calusari posted:

New media just means
a new medium
upon which 2 sell advertising.
Strictly speaking, new media means more than one new medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

When writing was invented the Greeks were very mad and thought that it meant people would get a lot dumber because they wouldn't have to memorize epic poems anymore. Every new technology is a herald of the end times with substantial evidence that things are worse than they are before. The problem is that the evidence is based on logic that starts with the faulty assumption that the way things were before was better. Why was memorizing poems better? Because older people knew how to do it, and now that skill lacks value? Why was a pre-social media world better? Because people's popularity and likability was measured by social cues rather than numbers? What makes that inherently better? I say this as somebody who is inclined to believe that socialization is better than social media, but looking at it objectively, I can't say I have any reason to prove that the change is good or bad. It's just different.

For the human mind things were overwhelmingly better back then. The ancient Navajo could classify over 700 insects to three levels with ID, habitat, behavior etc, and that's just insects. They did not need to write anything down, and they didn't remember it for social reasons because everyone was expected to pick it up, because the human brain is selected to remember geographical and visual images, like it was selected for sociability and intimacy. Incredible feats of memory were commonplace in pre-literate societies which are unheard of today. Even in colonial America, presidential speeches lasting 6 hours were common, with every point memorized back and forth and rebutted point by point.

The shortening of the attention span, health effects of our sedentary lifestyle, increasing social atomization, and the abject dependence on technology are not "different" from the above but qualitatively inferior, because the brain was not selected for these things, which is why mental illness is more rife in the societies more dependent on technology for their human needs.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Beef Turret posted:

The shortening of the attention span, health effects of our sedentary lifestyle, increasing social atomization, and the abject dependence on technology are not "different" from the above but qualitatively inferior, because the brain was not selected for these things, which is why mental illness is more rife in the societies more dependent on technology for their human needs.

While I don't disagree, by the same logic you could say that shoes weaken your feet to the point that we cannot walk the earth. The big difference with new technology is the speed at which it adapts. Even as it causes new problems, it provides solutions for problems caused by the previous generation of technology, and it's only going to get faster. The mental health issues you're talking about will be addressed in future revisions. With AR and VR just around the corner, everything is about to change again, kids of tomorrow will be able to "google" something they see just by looking at it in a certain way, memory will be redundant.

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

monkey posted:

memory will be redundant.

Not all of us agree this is a good thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

Ive been homeless ever since i found out i was cis scum. And you know what? I fuckin deserve it. Kill all cis scum imho

Yes, exactly.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

monkey posted:

The big difference with new technology is the speed at which it adapts. Even as it causes new problems, it provides solutions for problems caused by the previous generation of technology, and it's only going to get faster. The mental health issues you're talking about will be addressed in future revisions. With AR and VR just around the corner, everything is about to change again, kids of tomorrow will be able to "google" something they see just by looking at it in a certain way, memory will be redundant.

Technology cannot solve any fundamental social problems because its only virtue is in amplifying power in terms of convenience, and convenience fixes a problem only by delegating it somewhere else, away from notice. It is just a way to suspend consequences like Laplace's demon. The only way to solve the mental illness problem other than modifying our environment, is to pharmacologically or genetically alter people so they accept degrading conditions, much like how farm animals "accept" sterile and ecologically dead environments.

In general terms, a law in nature is that something must suffer or be abased for convenience to exist, even if it's a slave-AI in a cyber utopia or the myriads living in squalor. Accelerated convenience means the accelerated degradation of the ecosystems of Earth, and it means more suffering in a form made unrecognizable except to future generations. Another law of nature is that the more complex an organism or society, the more centralized and specialized the faculties related to its subsistence must be and the more fragile it is as a whole (fx. a person would die if exposed to conditions a simple tardigrade or mite could shrug off). This centralization exists only to slow down, not reverse, the inevitable fragility and vulnerability of a system. In a society too interlinked, too interrelated and dependent on technology, this translates to more susceptibility to collapse unless it becomes more and more centralized and organizational at the expense of ordinary people, because no singularity can abolish its dependence on the outside world. If synaptic memory is ever made obsolete, it will for the benefit of the organizations who provide us with the technology, for the same reason farmers gives horses shoes for the burdens he will give them later.

The idea that one day technology will overturn these laws in spite of all historical evidence to the contrary, is a faith cobbled together with the leftovers of millenarian Christianity. It's like a Ponzi scheme where each subsequent generation passes along the growing bill, until it's time to collect and collapse. The bigger they are the harder they fall. Anyway thanks for reading :D

Beef Turret fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 16, 2015

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Quit hogging the computer, Kaczynski

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i hope Earth become like Solaria from some Asimov book i cant remember. the entire planet is run by robot slaves, except for a few goons who live alone in their basements and only interact with each other over skype

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Beef Turret posted:

Anyway thanks for reading :D

You're welcome, and thanks for posting!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Beef Turret posted:

Technology cannot solve any fundamental social problems because its only virtue is in amplifying power in terms of convenience, and convenience fixes a problem only by delegating it somewhere else, away from notice. It is just a way to suspend consequences like Laplace's demon. The only way to solve the mental illness problem other than modifying our environment, is to pharmacologically or genetically alter people so they accept degrading conditions, much like how farm animals "accept" sterile and ecologically dead environments.

In general terms, a law in nature is that something must suffer or be abased for convenience to exist, even if it's a slave-AI in a cyber utopia or the myriads living in squalor. Accelerated convenience means the accelerated degradation of the ecosystems of Earth, and it means more suffering in a form made unrecognizable except to future generations. Another law of nature is that the more complex an organism or society, the more centralized and specialized the faculties related to its subsistence must be and the more fragile it is as a whole (fx. a person would die if exposed to conditions a simple tardigrade or mite could shrug off). This centralization exists only to slow down, not reverse, the inevitable fragility and vulnerability of a system. In a society too interlinked, too interrelated and dependent on technology, this translates to more susceptibility to collapse unless it becomes more and more centralized and organizational at the expense of ordinary people, because no singularity can abolish its dependence on the outside world. If synaptic memory is ever made obsolete, it will for the benefit of the organizations who provide us with the technology, for the same reason farmers gives horses shoes for the burdens he will give them later.

The idea that one day technology will overturn these laws in spite of all historical evidence to the contrary, is a faith cobbled together with the leftovers of millenarian Christianity. It's like a Ponzi scheme where each subsequent generation passes along the growing bill, until it's time to collect and collapse. The bigger they are the harder they fall. Anyway thanks for reading :D

im glad you finally decidd to share your personal philosophy. i enjoyed reading it

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The death of our current society will be sweet. Over-reliance on the rich and the powerful to represent the masses and guide our future has destroyed the very essence of a healthy society. The powers that be control the minds of the masses with little to no effort. Society cannot solve problems because it gave all of its power to the people who care the least about the people.

In older days, weak and corrupt leaders would be killed and replaced. Whether it be by an angry mob, an assassin, or any other means, society would change. Whether or not this made things better or worse was not the point. The point was that something was forced to change.

Too bad, guess we get to live to see the whole world turn into Arizona!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
you always know beefturret is holding back until he decides to let a little go.

there is a hope, beefturret, altho it will doubtless be only fulfilled (as always) in splinters and fragments, that certain technologies can cause decentralization, an increase in flexibility and decrease in fragility.

my own suspicion is that within a foreseeably short period of time, perhaps a few centuries to a millenium, humans will persist as pets of AI beings.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
OP it sounds like social media is a platform on which to act out many of the same social rituals, but with nominal differences.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Skeleton King posted:

In older days, weak and corrupt leaders would be killed and replaced. Whether it be by an angry mob, an assassin, or any other means, society would change. Whether or not this made things better or worse was not the point. The point was that something was forced to change.

the problem is there is no corrupt emperor to rise up and kill. if the praetorian guard could just corner capitalism in an alley and gut it then the world would be a better place :hist101:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
we are ruled by the praetorian guard. they are the capitalists.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The Skeleton King posted:

i feel like this happened only occasionally and most of the time people were just shat on throughout history

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

let's face it... before the ubiquity of social networking (facebook, tweeter, digg, and the like) human society was in pretty bad shape already don't get me wrong. but now an entire generation is being raised in a world where social networking is the premiere form of socializing with classmates, friends, family, etc. In effect, your worth is now based around things like number of likes/stars/favorites your terrible quality religious/political/"super hilarious" meme and image macros accumulate. they check their various social accounts upwards 200 times a day according to a recent special i watched on one of the most quality cable outlets that exists (CNN, natch). having the red "new notification" badge elicits a similar reaction to a heroin junkie craving his iix spotting a

i think looking back on web 2.0 "the social web", theoretical alien historians and anthropologists will be in agreement that the rise of social media, smart phones to deliver it everywhere in real time, and the rabid adoption of media by people of all walks of life due to all the cheap phones and plans now available was the main contributing factor of the downfall of human society. i expect within 200 years we'll have reverted to civilizations about as advanced as say.. the Incans maybe or Aztecs even.

Digg killed my father

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

nomadologique posted:

you always know beefturret is holding back until he decides to let a little go.

there is a hope, beefturret, altho it will doubtless be only fulfilled (as always) in splinters and fragments, that certain technologies can cause decentralization, an increase in flexibility and decrease in fragility.

my own suspicion is that within a foreseeably short period of time, perhaps a few centuries to a millenium, humans will persist as pets of AI beings.

Humans as pets will only be practical for the brief period before the AIs go into space. If we're lucky they'll ally with nature and remake the planet into a zoo, maybe keep a few of us in sustainable numbers. If we're not so lucky they won't give a poo poo, and will turn Earth into a lifeless dry husk as they leave.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

monkey posted:

Humans as pets will only be practical for the brief period before the AIs go into space. If we're lucky they'll ally with nature and remake the planet into a zoo, maybe keep a few of us in sustainable numbers. If we're not so lucky they won't give a poo poo, and will turn Earth into a lifeless dry husk as they leave.

Americans fought a war to stop humans as pets

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol you people are old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

lol you people are old

That's why we have functioning long-term memory, yes.

• Locked thread