Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Agreed, death to Isreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer

SlipUp posted:

Would you agree then that the first amendment is essentially a really good piece of propaganda?

(I like that you brought up Carlin, I was gonna do it myself haha.)

Nah, I wouldn't call the amendment itself propaganda, although it's definitely been employed for propagandist purposes. It's legitimately a founding ideal of the entire nation, and even though the rights it guarantees are frequently infringed, it's still the supreme law of the land and you need to disguise your violating it. More often than not, powerful interests are able to do that and are consequently able to violate the amendment early and often, but it still stands as supreme law and they could theoretically be struck down for it. If two equally matched forces were engaged in a trial pertaining to free speech, assuming the judge did not have conflicting interest, the party acting in accordance with the first amendment would theoretically win. And I think that carries weight regardless of how often it's ignored in reality. It can be a real rallying principle for reformers and advocacy groups. This is why the ACLU is so damned important; without someone to make sure it gets enforced, the Bill of Rights is toothless.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

Also I'm sure there is nothing important hiding in the cuts between when he first approaches the students and when they sign the petition in every single scene.

Free speech is great because America has worked out a public sphere where we all have protected speech and it's totally worthless in accomplishing anything meaningful, so the people who take up the standard in protection of this right are assholes who want to be able to to harass people and yell out slurs. Reactionaries were super pro-censorship until colleges started telling people it was rude to use racist words 30 years ago.

which mental ill ness does this guy have, does anyone know?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

gently caress the ROW posted:

which mental ill ness does this guy have, does anyone know?

Terminal goobertism

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Left-autism

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Commuanime

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Maoist Pussy posted:

You don't really need self-determination. So basically you only have the right to attempt to breathe for a few years.

the existence of TacticalUrbanHomo shows that we shouldn't just be granting anyone the right to live either

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
The petition didn't work, loving Yailures.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I depend upon college petitions to tell me what is good and what is bad :confused:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I depend upon college petitions to tell me what is good and what is bad :confused:

Same, but Twitter.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Maoist Pussy posted:

Agreed, death to Isreal.

this but unironically

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
agree w/death to israel

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
death to israel

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
How did the left in the US get so hosed as to become identified with silver spoon, ivy leaguers?

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
The left in the US exists totally as either a hypothetical political science stance or a footnote in history class.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

silver spoon ivy leaguers are often very, very liberal.

americans think that liberals are left-wing. (this is, of course, ridiculous)

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Profondo Rosso posted:

this but unironically

Unironically hate speech, you mean!

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Prav posted:

silver spoon ivy leaguers are often very, very liberal.

americans think that liberals are left-wing. (this is, of course, ridiculous)

So, basically, one should be neither liberal nor left wing. Hmmm....

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

yeah, it unironically proves college campus protesters are low information idiots, which was the point of the Fox News Report.

nobody needed anyone to prove this

the actual point was to reassure fox news followers that liberals are big crybabies who also hate the constitution, which is extremely different from complaining about gay people getting married and crying about activist judges when the supreme court rules that their preferred legal statutes are unconstitutional

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

tl;dr gently caress millenials (and whatever generation follows them)

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

mr. mephistopheles posted:

nobody needed anyone to prove this

the actual point was to reassure fox news followers that liberals are big crybabies who also hate the constitution, which is extremely different from complaining about gay people getting married and crying about activist judges when the supreme court rules that their preferred legal statutes are unconstitutional

It is actually extremely not different, and that is why it is being mocked- soundly!

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Whiskey Sours posted:

The first amendment also doesn't prohibit universities from restricting speech, it only prohibits congress from doing so.

Private universities (such as Yale) no, but public universities yeah, it pretty much does. Speech codes are unconstitutional.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The Landstander posted:

Private universities (such as Yale) no, but public universities yeah, it pretty much does. Speech codes are unconstitutional.

Good luck getting frat bros who leave after three years to sue all the way to the supreme court though.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

how do so many people in their 20's end up making petitions and "if you want to stop child abuse, like this picture" stuff unironically? when i realized that the world is hosed up, i just fell into dull apathy and accepted it instead of going nuts over whatever. is it like a hobby for people? i can't think of any other reason anyone would be trying to stamp out microaggressions while browsing facebook on an ipad that could only be allowed to exist thanks to the miserable conditions of the chinese working class

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy

Tricky D posted:

How did the left in the US get so hosed as to become identified with silver spoon, ivy leaguers?

it;s 2015,

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

stopped clock

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Maoist Pussy posted:

It is actually extremely not different, and that is why it is being mocked- soundly!

I think he was speaking ironically when he said it was different

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Wulfolme posted:

i can't tell if your posts are meant ironically or not

and you never will. not until we are living in full anime fascism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
shut the gently caress up TacticalUrbanHomo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

shut the gently caress up TacticalUrbanHomo

5/5 thatsracist.gifs for this username/post combo

• Locked thread