Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
Doh. I thought it lasted till midnight and was looking around. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Harmburger posted:

It's not at all like Freelancer other than being a game where you fly a Spaceship. It's heavily MMO-leaning, and there's no sort of guided story at all. It's very much make-your-own-fun. There's too much grind in it for me to really recommend it to someone looking for Freelancer Mk II. Keep looking(as am I!)

I ended up buying it anyways cause of some of the LP videos and a friends recommendation swung me towards buying it. Worst case scenario, I get 15 dollars of fancy graphics spaceship flying before I get bored with it. I've spent more on far worse. Thanks, though!

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
They really just phoned it in this year. I don't really know much about the sale prices themselves, I got several games I wanted over the Thanksgiving sale and those games didn't get any lower during this (fine by me).

But the added content in this sale was almost nothing compared to the last summer and winter sales. Even the method to get the trading cards was already existing in steam, no extra effort there.

I get that there's no need for the daily deals, flash sales and voting any more. But that at least kept it interesting.

I mean, a sales a sale. I'm just used to a little more flair associated with it rather than some webcomic that you can read through in about 2 minutes

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

Dump 'em because those cards will vanish in like a day or two.

Wait, they're all gone already

I don't understand how these sales cards work at all, I only made € 0,15 from selling them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, they're all gone already

I don't understand how these sales cards work at all, I only made € 0,15 from selling them.

You have to sell them early on in the beginning to get any value. The more people gain cards, the less they're worth.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Underworld is a great mod, but it's one that kind of assumes you've gone through the base game and at least know the basics of TQ mechanics and itemization. For beginners it'll probably seem much too difficult.

The only necessary mod to have for TQ right off the bat is the X-MAX addon that triples or quadruples the amount of monsters in areas.

You weren't kidding. The first encounters felt like baldur's gate until I got my first level. I think I died 5 times before I finally managed to do it. It feels a lot more fun to play compared to the mindlessness of other action rpgs, though.

Speaking of which, Grim Dawn is finally content complete, but it still feels really unbalanced. You can't simply move up from normal to elite. I was playing sort of a glass cannon depending on regen for survivability and that's completely useless on elite, where I constantly get one shot. It feels harder than diablo 3 inferno on release. I'll take my time with underlord until they deal with the balance issues.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pews posted:

They really just phoned it in this year. I don't really know much about the sale prices themselves, I got several games I wanted over the Thanksgiving sale and those games didn't get any lower during this (fine by me).

But the added content in this sale was almost nothing compared to the last summer and winter sales. Even the method to get the trading cards was already existing in steam, no extra effort there.

I get that there's no need for the daily deals, flash sales and voting any more. But that at least kept it interesting.

I mean, a sales a sale. I'm just used to a little more flair associated with it rather than some webcomic that you can read through in about 2 minutes

Don't forget the ARG that uhh

uhh

unlocked a badge I guess

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nerdz posted:

Speaking of which, Grim Dawn is finally content complete, but it still feels really unbalanced. You can't simply move up from normal to elite. I was playing sort of a glass cannon depending on regen for survivability and that's completely useless on elite, where I constantly get one shot. It feels harder than diablo 3 inferno on release. I'll take my time with underlord until they deal with the balance issues.

maybe you're playing wrong for that build? No matter what, though, eventually monsters are going to swarm you to hell and back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grim Dawn is really easy if you play in a counterintuitive way, which is simply to just max out your class' passive trees while spending maybe one point here and there in the skills you actually plan on using when you're level 40+.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

maybe you're playing wrong for that build? No matter what, though, eventually monsters are going to swarm you to hell and back.

exquisite tea posted:

Grim Dawn is really easy if you play in a counterintuitive way, which is simply to just max out your class' passive trees while spending maybe one point here and there in the skills you actually plan on using when you're level 40+.

This is exactly what I'm doing. Nightblade/Demolitionist with all the passive and regen skills (including the chance on hit attacks from dual wielding). I can regen to full in less than one second, but it's not worth much when I'm getting one shot. It's not getting swarmed, which I can easily handle, it's one monster simply hitting me once for more than my current hp.

From the devotion trees, I have the falcon swoop, assassin's mark and the hammer and sword constellations. Falcon swoop is basically killing monsters all by itself with all the bleeding damage.

I think I messed up by never putting points in physical, which makes me use armor sets from half my level. I have like 380 from gear at level 41.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 4, 2016

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

FirstAidKite posted:

uhh

unlocked a badge I guess

Hey, I love my dumb fish in a bag that I put no effort into getting.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

nerdz posted:

I think I messed up by never putting points in physical, which makes me use armor sets from half my level. I have like 380 from gear at level 41.

This is probably what it is. Check your defensive stats after you get one shot, see what they say your absorption/evade/crit defense %s are from that level of monster.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

uhh

unlocked a badge I guess

Half Life 3 confirmed?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
HOW CAN THIS BE

My 5.25" disk copy broke in 1992, I can hardly believe I can play this again

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FirstAidKite posted:

uhh

unlocked a badge I guess

wait that actually went somewhere? I assume it's way too late to actually get that badge?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Psion posted:

wait that actually went somewhere? I assume it's way too late to actually get that badge?

The extra search functionality on game pages has been disabled, so yeah, it's too late.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
:shrug: ah, no problem then

I only sort of tangentially followed it but I never saw it as "solved" or anything so I didn't bother looking up what to do.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Psion posted:

:shrug: ah, no problem then

I only sort of tangentially followed it but I never saw it as "solved" or anything so I didn't bother looking up what to do.

It kind of wasn't solved, maybe. The people working on it found the red herring badge but weren't able to solve anything else. Maybe there was nothing else but naming the badge "Red Herring" in a mystery noir context is pretty mean if so.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Xander77 posted:

Tabletop Simulator (Bought by accident, totally not what I thought)

I hope that you thought it would just simulate the top of a table. You get to polish and dust it regularly and make sure the cat doesn't sleep on it. Maybe buy some DLC doilies and bowls of wax fruit to display on it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

parasyte posted:

It kind of wasn't solved, maybe. The people working on it found the red herring badge but weren't able to solve anything else. Maybe there was nothing else but naming the badge "Red Herring" in a mystery noir context is pretty mean if so.

I do wonder how many unsolved ARGs are just sitting out there, or even went undiscovered because they didn't have corporate backing/connections to Buzzfeed to push it until people took the bait.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
While I appreciate the ups-and-downs of having flash and daily deals, as a consumer I appreciated a more frill-less "These are the sales, it'll be that way until this day" sale.

My pickups:

Dungeons 2 + DLC
Rebel Galaxy
War For The Overworld
Time Rifters
Creeper World 3
60 Seconds
Car Mechanic 2015 (refunded)
Dying Light
Renowned Explorers
Dropsy
Doom 3: BFG Edition
Wolfenstein: The New Order

I've only toyed with the first seven, but I think I came out with a win.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gromit posted:

I hope that you thought it would just simulate the top of a table. You get to polish and dust it regularly and make sure the cat doesn't sleep on it. Maybe buy some DLC doilies and bowls of wax fruit to display on it.
I assumed it would have an AI. That's what happens when you stick poo poo into your wishlist without reading anything about it.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Gromit posted:

I would play that and buy the DLC.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

The Silver Snail posted:

I would play that and buy the DLC.

Supports touchscreen so you can wipe your finger through the dust that settles on it over time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Palpek posted:

drat, this sale was amazing, I won't have to buy another game for...oh look new Weeklong Deals!

The best part is, a few of those deals are actually better than the ones from the sale. (And naturally a bunch are worse.)

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
I can and will testify in a court of law (even if completely unbidden) that SUBLIME! is a kick-butt dude / she-dude who is generous to goons. SUBLIME! should be kissed on the mouth ON SIGHT. So if any of you see this person before I do, lay one on 'em and I'll pay ya back!

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

My haul:

Invisible, Inc. Contingency Plan - ok I guess, I haven't played the expansion much. I've beat the base game up to expert though, it's great.

King of Dragon Pass - I used to play the old PC CDROM version of this a whole lot but haven't played the new past a few years. It hasn't really changed, still a great game.

Undertale - holy poo poo this is amazing buy it immediately and play even if you don't like this sort of thing and have a backlog, seriously.

Flamebreak - kind of ok but also meh. Too bad, I really liked the devs previous game, Altitude.

FortressCraft Evolved Dapper Indie Supporters Pack - I really like fortresscraft and wanted a little bit of extra decorative stuff I guess. I haven't played fortresscraft much since buying this.

Transistor - Really, really good. I didn't expect to like it more than Bastion, but I do. I haven't finished it yet.

One Way Heroics Plus - I really enjoyed the base game, haven't tried the expansion yet.

Luckslinger - I really enjoyed Westerado : Double Barreled, this looks to be a similar sort of indy old west game with sweet novel mechanics. Haven't tried it yet.

Overall, a good year for games.

Some noteworthy stuff I bought before the sale:
Endless Legend Expansion Set - I had hopes that this would kindle some sort of interest in the game, but it didn't work. I just don't like Endless Legend for some reason.

Rebel Galaxy - Really fun. I've completed the campaign and then later did missions and stuff to get myself into the most expensive ship with the best weapons. I still play it sometimes, I'm working on getting all the achivements.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
edit: nm wrong topic

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
That's an even worse bump than your avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hello, thread. Haven't seen you around here in a while.

• Locked thread