Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Triple A posted:

Please experiment with some unconventional entries, I want to see how an RR car would have fared in the Touring category.

I included my unentered rear-engine Touring car in the archive of everybody's entries for SA-GT. I didn't spend a whole lot of time tuning it, but I seem to recall it was moderately quick - 8:50ish lap time around the Nurburgring. The reason why the rear-engined cars were more successful in Sportsman and Open was that the rules put massive constraints on available traction; by shifting the weight out beyond the driven wheels in the rear it gave enough traction that it more than offset the rather, err, funky handling characteristics of a rear-engine car. This problem simply wasn't the case in Touring class, where the power levels were low enough and the traction levels were high enough that it was unusual for a car to overwhelm its driven wheels with power.

E: I should also take a moment to say that we are probably only a few days away from the beta release of the next build; this version will add V12 turbo engines, more of the engineering team and flesh out factories and production a bit more. The next challenge will run on the version after this next release, I hope.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
1) Is there a way to keep the 1975 Challenge going? (Shove it off to someone else to run)
I realize this may be as much work getting to someone to take care of reliably and as accurately as you do currently.
Plus it's your work and you may not wish to give it to someone to "play" with.

2) This was great. I put together what I felt was a mediocre (at best) car compared to everyone else.
I saw some interesting results early on, and then watched everyone else out tune what I could theoretically put into the car.
I'm happy with the results as principle team owner however we will be looking for a new test facility and maybe less average Joe drivers. .

Economy vs cost was very fun to play and the results were entertaining.
Had the cheapest Open class car and I feel that I placed accordingly.
Lesson learned: Don't show up with a hand gun to an arms race.
Had the 3rd cheapest Touring class car and placed in the top 4.

... on to the deconstruction of my entries using the tuning guide to learn more about going fast and stuff.

VICTORIAN HOORAYS SPONSORED BY CHINA WHITE ENERGY POWDER A PRODUCT OF MIAMI FLORDIA IMPORTS IS GO!
(1989 - HURRY UP ALREADY!)

All in all - I'm pleased and thank you once again for providing this source of entertainment.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I really like the write ups. It's the one thing holding me back from running a thing like this without simply displaying a video of the race like brobot.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

We have a new home in Games...come chat everyone!

extreme_accordion posted:

1) Is there a way to keep the 1975 Challenge going? (Shove it off to someone else to run)
I realize this may be as much work getting to someone to take care of reliably and as accurately as you do currently.
Plus it's your work and you may not wish to give it to someone to "play" with.

2) This was great. I put together what I felt was a mediocre (at best) car compared to everyone else.
I saw some interesting results early on, and then watched everyone else out tune what I could theoretically put into the car.
I'm happy with the results as principle team owner however we will be looking for a new test facility and maybe less average Joe drivers. .

Economy vs cost was very fun to play and the results were entertaining.
Had the cheapest Open class car and I feel that I placed accordingly.
Lesson learned: Don't show up with a hand gun to an arms race.
Had the 3rd cheapest Touring class car and placed in the top 4.

... on to the deconstruction of my entries using the tuning guide to learn more about going fast and stuff.

VICTORIAN HOORAYS SPONSORED BY CHINA WHITE ENERGY POWDER A PRODUCT OF MIAMI FLORDIA IMPORTS IS GO!
(1989 - HURRY UP ALREADY!)

All in all - I'm pleased and thank you once again for providing this source of entertainment.

You're welcome...it is pretty fun to watch these things come together from my end!

Unfortunately the model is, for the moment, too much of a mess to let anyone else use and it is, err, rather user-hostile. Plus, I found a couple of really serious bugs in it that required me to correct the results manually a couple of times. It is something I am looking into...the possibility of making it something I could either just give to someone to run, turn-key, or even build a web-based solution. Unfortunately those are well beyond my meagre programming ability, and it will take away time from building version 3.0 of my simulation model.

• Locked thread