Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol nice, eBayers who think they have a store are basically Facebook Business Owners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
if i want to buy ear stretchers for 2 dollars from china then god loving damnit i loving will

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Nonviolent J posted:

if i want to buy ear stretchers for 2 dollars from china then god loving damnit i loving will

Say no to senseless price-gauging.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

flakeloaf posted:

Say no to senseless price-gauging.

:golfclap:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

In 2000 or so I emailed a guy an offer on a laptop and he sent back a screed about "THIS IS A STORE! YOU DON'T GO INTO FUTURE SHOP AND TRY TO LOWBALL THEM!" and a bunch of poo poo like that. So I went into the IRC channel that I got my mp3s from at the time and asked them to go to their site and email in lowball offers on a laptop or two and the next day there was red text all over the site about THIS IS A STORE! YOU DON'T GO INTO FUTURE SHOP AND TRY TO LOWBALL THEM!

haha

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sheep-Goats posted:

In 2000 or so I emailed a guy an offer on a laptop and he sent back a screed about "THIS IS A STORE! YOU DON'T GO INTO FUTURE SHOP AND TRY TO LOWBALL THEM!" and a bunch of poo poo like that. So I went into the IRC channel that I got my mp3s from at the time and asked them to go to their site and email in lowball offers on a laptop or two and the next day there was red text all over the site about THIS IS A STORE! YOU DON'T GO INTO FUTURE SHOP AND TRY TO LOWBALL THEM!

This owns

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
He's right, but only because I don't go into Best Buy/Future Shop at all.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I have haggled at best buy before actually.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
About a decade ago, OP.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
years ago I bought something on ebay and like two weeks later I hadn't received it, so I emailed the seller a few times and he never responded.

I put in a paypal request to get my money back, and like two hours later the seller emailed me about how I was an rear end in a top hat and I caused his bank account to overdraft and his wife was all mad at him

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tried to log in to ebay for the first time in at least a couple years and it demanded I authenticate my identity with a phone number I haven't had since 2007. Then I used a VPN to look like I was in the US instead of Malaysia and it let me through just fine my account is a UK one :waycool:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

Hell, I used to have a coworker when I worked for Vlasic that would go to the company store, buy shittons of pickles for a buck a jar, then sell them on ebay for 8 bucks a pop because they were "factory fresh" when in all reality they were likely a month or so old.

Also, it's a pickle, as the name implies getting it factory fresh is kind of spinning your wheels to some degree, no?

Can some picklers weigh in here?

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I've never sold anything on eBay but recently I started selling stuff on Amazon. I sold an old PS2 game (that I paid $15 for) for $80. Granted, it's a pretty rare game, but that's just nuts. I also sold my old DSLR for way more than it was worth. The person could have gotten it on KEH for a whole hell of a lot cheaper. So long as you put a picture of your item in the description, someone out there will gladly buy your overpriced poo poo.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
The best way to protect from getting screwed as a seller is to take a bunch of pictures of you packaging the item, the box, and you putting the shipping label on the box. You send the pictures to the buyer when you ship it and I've never had a problem.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

lol this reminds me of the last time I went down to see the buskers: a guy who caught cabbages with a spiked helmet spent 5 minutes talking about how this was OLD SCHOOL, HONEST ENTERTAINMENT AND YOU WOULD SPEND $20 AT THE MOVIES SO WHY NOT $20 FOR MY STUPID 8 MINUTE ACT, 5 OF WHICH I SPEND TELLING YOU TO GIVE ME BILLS NO COINS!!!

I walked away without giving him anything

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sheep-Goats posted:

What, yes you do. Haggle every chance you get. Even the big corporate chains have sales managers and poo poo who are authorized to give X% discount to get rid of annoying hagglers, or offer price matching. Mattress places basically set the price way higher than they expect anyone to pay so that customers can feel good they "haggled down" the sales people to get good price. Are idiots just reading the sticker price and buying poo poo without even trying for a deal???

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Yeah I dunno why just because it is a brick and mortar I'm not going to try and lowball you on a high ticket item, especially if there is some kind of salesperson interaction going on (as opposed to just grabbing it from the shelf and taking it to the checkout).

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

G-Mach posted:

The best way to protect from getting screwed as a seller is to take a bunch of pictures of you packaging the item, the box, and you putting the shipping label on the box. You send the pictures to the buyer when you ship it and I've never had a problem.

If you set buyer requirements you shouldn't have much trouble. Requiring a bidder to have a paypal account gets rid of non paying bidders.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
In other lovely online retailer news, Amazon now apparently requires you to be a "professional seller" in order to list DVDs or Blu-Ray on the marketplace. I'm sure they had their customer's best interests in mind and weren't doing it to protect their own asses, to keep from having to resolve disputes by loving morons who didn't realize they weren't buying "from" Amazon, or to drive out competition for their own used media racket.

But good news, you don't need to be a professional seller to give Amazon an out-of-print DVD boxed set for $2.55 that they'll list for $100!

VV Great but it sucks for those of us who handle our poo poo with kid gloves and just want to sell it off and buy digital or blu ray, and want to take advantage of Amazon's inflated price gouging.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 27, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm guessing because DVDs get scratched really easy and I'm loving sick of getting a scratched DVD from a marketplace seller and sending it back is horseshit

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
eBay tends to have the same poo poo from China as Amazon, but cheaper, that's about the only thing its got going for it these days

Selling on there is a loving nightmare and eBay can ban you from selling at any time for any reason so there's not job security, even if you land rear end-backwards in a reselling scheme that nets you a decent amount a month

There's a relatively new app called Poshmark, aimed at women, people sell each other their old clothes, accessories, and makeup for cheap

Cosmetics eBay sellers are pissed because most people are gonna pay $20 for a product that's 99% there and can be sanitized instead of $150=$250 for a product that's brand new

It's great

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Lol. You guys aren't mad that stuff is being sold online at markup because of the retro craze, you're just mad that it's hipsters doing it and that fits with the "ARRRRGGHHHH MILLENIALS! " paradigm. Honestly that's on the moron consumers paying 30.00 for an 80s tshirt, not the guy selling it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RedMage129 posted:

Lol. You guys aren't mad that stuff is being sold online at markup because of the retro craze, you're just mad that it's hipsters doing it and that fits with the "ARRRRGGHHHH MILLENIALS! " paradigm. Honestly that's on the moron consumers paying 30.00 for an 80s tshirt, not the guy selling it.

What?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Professor Shark posted:

Shopping on eBay is sort of fun lately because sending people low-ball offers on over-priced poo poo drives anyone still dumb enough to sell on eBay loving insane in a lot of cases lol

This goes both ways, listing things above retail does not make lowballers happy.

I researched "sold item" prices and listed a piece of audio equipment for almost same as retail and it was 7 years old and guy sent me this message verbatim "Why are you asking $430 + 69.98 SHIPPING? When this item originally sold about 7-8 years ago at a price of $499 with free shipping." (was a big badass heavy power amp that was discontinued and sought after)

and i sold it a couple of days later for what i was asking.. i never bother responding to a single offer thats messaged to me. ebay has millions of people who visit it every hour and the sheer volume of people always amazes me i list some random obscure item 1% lower than the rest of the buy it now listings and sell it within days. Someone out there wants the item, and impulsively will buy it when it looks lower than the rest, key is to wait until ebay charges no seller fees (or extremely reduced fees).

People say that craigslist is a better deal, but 99% of people are complete flakes or will haggle with you the moment you meet up somewhere because they know you already invested time driving there. If your time is worthless than craigslist is great, if your time is worth even $5 an hour then all arguments against ebay fees go out the window. same with buying something, trying to coordinate meet up times with the idiots on craigslist is not worth my time when i can buy it off ebay. craigslist only function is furniture and cars (and even for that its horrible)

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Craigslist is OK for furniture that's going to be beat to poo poo

• Locked thread