Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
After riding the National Guard gravy train for the past 10 years I find myself without any military opportunities presenting themselves. My experience is in flying helicopters, but those jobs are very location dependent and not very many are presenting themselves where I live.

From people I've spoken with, getting CDL seems like a good way to find employment as shipping companies are always hiring. Or, my thought was, looking into becoming an electrician as it seems that that is an in demand skill that won't destroy your body the way that other construction jobs will.

So, any insight into either career would be appreciated.

Basically, pros-cons, how much training is required, and what does a typical career look like in either field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think there are some threads about these things floating around, but I didn't manage to find them before I stopped looking. Fine to chat about it here too of course. I did find Three-Phase's thread which might be fun reading: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435068

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Thanks for the link!

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Armyman25 posted:

After riding the National Guard gravy train for the past 10 years I find myself without any military opportunities presenting themselves. My experience is in flying helicopters, but those jobs are very location dependent and not very many are presenting themselves where I live.

From people I've spoken with, getting CDL seems like a good way to find employment as shipping companies are always hiring. Or, my thought was, looking into becoming an electrician as it seems that that is an in demand skill that won't destroy your body the way that other construction jobs will.

So, any insight into either career would be appreciated.

Basically, pros-cons, how much training is required, and what does a typical career look like in either field?

your experience in helicopters as in being the pilot experience?

If so, then staying in that field will get you more more money than driving a truck or twisting wires together.......seriously.

Look at law enforcement, TV stations, CareFlight type, and other businesses that use choppers. Maybe become a instructor.

As far as truck driving.......you will spend majority of your time out on the road, making schitt wages which is why they are always hiring.

Truck school is about $3500 to get you a CDL unless you hire on with a company with in-house training.

No over-the-road experience means that the first two years or so, you will get slave own on wages.

I would recommend truck driving if you enjoy being by yourself, smelling bad, and don't care about making good pay.

Electrician is not that bad but you will start as an apprentice first until you get some experience and then apply for a license. Be prepared to crawl on, over, and through all kinds of crap at most......unless you do new builds.

I would seriously look for an aviation job if it was me......even if it mean moving.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
over the road is a great way to destroy your body and your health.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Based purely on anecdotal evidence, I would say go with electrician.

Two friends of mine went to school to learn how to drive tractor trailers. Each paid over 30k, I imagine. Maybe 45k. It's been over two or three years. One is a server and the other works in a machine shop. I'm not saying they won't ever find steady work, but they have not so far.

The local trade school charges from $1,000 to $3,000 for various electrician courses, with hands-on work so you're not useless as an apprentice. Although given that you have military experience, I imagine you're not useless as most new apprentices are. On the other hand, army... (just kidding)

Seems like a low risk, low reward, BFC approved way to go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

over the road is a great way to destroy your body and your health.

+relationships

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Moneyball posted:

+relationships

+sanity

Big Rigs: Ober the Road Racing

quote:

in the earlier versions the player's computer-controlled opponent vehicles have no AI and never move from the starting position. In a later version, the computer-controlled opponent will race around the track, but will stop just before crossing the finish line... due to a lack of collision detection, there are no obstacles to navigate within the game, and the player is able to phase through environments and leave the game altogether.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I'm a truck driver and even though I make six figures I tell myself everyday that it's kind of not worth it.

And you will most likely be making between 30-50k your first year or two, which after time worked usually ends up being less than minimum wage. A literal sweatshop on wheels. Local driving tends to have much higher quality of life over OTR but you will need 1-2 years OTR before most local will look at you, but you can def get local jobs out of school, doesn't hurt to apply.

I have maintained my weight thanks to my work being flatbed (go flatbed, seriously you'll at least get some forced exercise) but my heart and joints probably won't be too good when I'm 50.

I'd say electrician, and Cdl if your desperate or extremely introverted

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Electrician or move for a helicopter jobs. You could probably join some sketchy dictators army and be a general if you can fly a helicopter as a third backup.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
If you're not expecting electrical work to gently caress up your body, you've got another thing coming. I haven't met an electrician over forty who doesn't have some sort of back problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Thanks for the responses!

Luckily an EMS job opened up near me and I'm in the final stages of being hired on there, so pretty fortunate. I'm just worried about being in an all or nothing situation, but I suppose a lot of people have to deal with that.

• Locked thread