Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Rondette posted:

Also, here have another slice of SPACECAT

I continue to love spacecat and his adventures in SPAAAACE.

some sketches:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
OK now you're just making wonderful food katamari :colbert:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

neonnoodle posted:

OK now you're just making wonderful food katamari :colbert:

haha, they do look like Katamari. drat wanna play that game now.

Here's today's cat, you may recognise it from a recent youtube video. I loved it's expression.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Venetus posted:

Thanks! Those portraits are pretty great. Any wonkiness in the anatomy of my drawing is rather less deliberate than in those, though!

I should also add, own your imperfections! I personally love drawings that show a bit of the personality of the artist. I spent ages trying to do 'perfect' drawings and soon came to the realisation that people actually preferred my much looser, more off the cuff stuff. I still like drawing in a very controlled style, but I also enjoy the spirit of my quicker drawings much more.

Sometimes the gestures you capture in a quick drawing are so much better than something you'd spend hours poring over.

This is a rough layout for a book I am working on, and I loving love some of the goofy throwaway doodles.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
E: fixed my ugly-rear end sky

Scathach fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 30, 2016

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Rondette posted:

I should also add, own your imperfections! I personally love drawings that show a bit of the personality of the artist. I spent ages trying to do 'perfect' drawings and soon came to the realisation that people actually preferred my much looser, more off the cuff stuff. I still like drawing in a very controlled style, but I also enjoy the spirit of my quicker drawings much more.

Sometimes the gestures you capture in a quick drawing are so much better than something you'd spend hours poring over.

This is a rough layout for a book I am working on, and I loving love some of the goofy throwaway doodles.

I suppose this is true, but I am very much a beginner, so I feel like I need to focus on anything that didn't turn out like I intended so I can learn how to do it better the next time. Mind you, I don't mean to say that I am displeased with that picture. I haven't tried to draw regularly in years, so I'm actually pretty happy with it, all things considered.

I do like your storyboard. :3:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Woooops fanart.
I love Temmies. :tem:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Wanted shipping labels on the crate but couldn't figure it out.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
VIIIKKKKKIIIINNNNNG CAAAAATTT!!!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Wanted shipping labels on the crate but couldn't figure it out.

I think your style is a bit loose for throwing small details like that in. They're literally just squares or rectangles that sit on the surface of the container and follow the vanishing points... Which brings me to my other statement, the perspective on the box is completely wrong.

The far side from the viewers perspective will always be smaller. The way the character is shown, you shouldn't be able to see the top of the crate. It'd either require you to do some foreshortening on the legs or the simpler solution is to redraw the box. Don't be afraid of using 2-point perspective with vanishing points while you're still learning to accurately portray perspective.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
The flight of the pixies.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Funny faces

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

These are taking forever but I'm probably learning a lot more from them

Any ideas for next month's theme? Space maybe?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Humboldt Squid posted:

These are taking forever but I'm probably learning a lot more from them

Any ideas for next month's theme? Space maybe?

A MONTH OF SPACE CAT CAN I HANDLE IT

Here is today's, Postman Cat!

I've said it before, I'll say it again, thanks to this thread for your positive responses, it's really helped me get back on promoting myself and my work, and if January is anything to go by things can only get better!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

dog nougat posted:

I think your style is a bit loose for throwing small details like that in. They're literally just squares or rectangles that sit on the surface of the container and follow the vanishing points... Which brings me to my other statement, the perspective on the box is completely wrong.

The far side from the viewers perspective will always be smaller. The way the character is shown, you shouldn't be able to see the top of the crate. It'd either require you to do some foreshortening on the legs or the simpler solution is to redraw the box. Don't be afraid of using 2-point perspective with vanishing points while you're still learning to accurately portray perspective.

Thanks for this!

Two questions:

Perspective is one of my weaker areas. I know I *should* draw a perspective grid over everything but I am not sure the proper way. Is there a great primer on perspective? Preferably a quick video tutorial that you guys might recommend?
Another question along the same lines. In the past there have been tutorials posted on how to go from pencil drawings to photoshop paintings. I want to attempt this again, so I guess I am asking: Is there a go to process for going from pencil to photoshop painting? Or a preferred method / tutorial?

Here is bar sketch I snuck in without the person noticing until the end.

Here is another tattoo design I am working on:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Gah too busy at work to finish but I finally got around to forcing myself to draw, the biggest hurdle

Banana Man fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 1, 2016

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine
Crustaceans you say? I can join in at last!

Here are a couple of other things from today as well.

sigma 6 posted:

Thanks for this!

Two questions:

Perspective is one of my weaker areas. I know I *should* draw a perspective grid over everything but I am not sure the proper way. Is there a great primer on perspective? Preferably a quick video tutorial that you guys might recommend?

It's deadly boring but I learned a lot by getting packets and tins etc from the kitchen cupboard, putting them on the table and drawing the shapes over and over from observation. You'll get the hang of how cubes, cuboids and cylinders work in perspective and then you can fit more complex shapes into the same volumes.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Holothurian posted:

Crustaceans you say?

I love his fancy little tophat and how you got flowers in his colouring. I wish he had a little bowtie too :kimchi:

Talking of tophats...

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Thanks for this!

Two questions:

Another question along the same lines. In the past there have been tutorials posted on how to go from pencil drawings to photoshop paintings. I want to attempt this again, so I guess I am asking: Is there a go to process for going from pencil to photoshop painting? Or a preferred method / tutorial?

I didn't watch the whole thing cuz phone posting, but it should be solid.

https://youtu.be/felys-u4nfk

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Space next month, definitely.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Scathach posted:

Space next month, definitely.

I feel like I did okay on these. I've been drawing every day for about a month now, and I'd like to hear some critiques about where I am and what I could work on if you have the inclination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

New thread is up!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762583

• Locked thread