Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

10: The name of the first month is Banuary

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month. there might be a little general leeway at the end of the month, but don't count on it and don't ask for extensions.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

how many terrible words have been written through this thread and the ones before it? 1,398,000. Some of them might have been good? idk

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel yes, if you've signed up: synirc, #longwalk, but most of us hang out in #thunderdome

where are the previous months April, May June July, August, September, October , November, December

who tells the mods if i gently caress up and don't make it anyone can call in a failed toxx; if no one else does it I do

who checks i've done it i could just not and say i did lol you need to satisfy me, which isn't a high bar tbh, but I'll probably need to see something, up to you what that is

how long are you gonna do it for at least a year, but if it's working for people there's no reason it couldn't go on longer

have you played ockarina of time penis penis penis

Long Walk 10: The name of the first month is Banuary

Broenheim: 5k, 5 subs MADE IT LIKE A TINY ELF LABOURING AWAY FOR NOT THAT LONG B/C 5K WORDS ISN'T THAT MANY BUT STILL
GrizaPat: 5k, 20 subs SEE ABOVE IN A MADE IT KIND OF WAY
Redtonic: 60k, 1 sub HOLY poo poo NOW WE'RE TALKING MADE IT LIKE A WOODWORKER MAKING A LIFE SIZE STATUE OF A HAIRY MAMMOTH
Sitting Here: 18k MADE IT LIKE THE WOOD CHOPPER IN LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD WITH THE CAVEAT THAT 'IT' IS A PILE OF WOLF GUTS AND A COUPLE OF DUMB RELATIVES WHO NEED TO SPEND SOME TIME WITH A CUP OF TEA AND A WILD ANIMAL RECOGNITION CHART
Ironic Twist: 17k MADE IT LIKE A MADE MAN FROM THE MOVIE GOODFELLAS BUT WITHOUT THE WITNESS PROTECTION PROGRAMME, VIOLENT PSYCHOSIS AND COCAINE-INDUCED IMAGINARY HELICOPTERS
Spectres of Autism 6k EHHH gently caress IT 11K WORDS THAT'S MADE IT ENOUGH FOR ME
Guinness13: 10k MADE IT LIKE YOU SPLAYED IT
Ghost Crow: 4k:siren: FAILBURGER :siren: but already banned
Systran: ONE HUNNNNNDRED ThOUUUUUUSAND WORRRRRRRRRD!! NOW THIS IS TECHNICALLY A BIG OLD FAILBURGBER BECAUSE YOU ONNNNNNLY DID 90K LIKE A PATHETIC FEEB BUT gently caress YOU I'M NOT TOXXING YOU THIS TIME, CALL IN THE TOXX YOURSELF IF YOU MUST OR I GUESS SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT DO IT IF YOUR ENTERTAINING BUT ABRASIVE MANNER HAS TICKED THEM OFF AT SOME TIME IN THE PAST BUT YOU'LL STILL GO DOWN AS A FAIL, K, K GOOD

RECORD OF THE FALLEN

CHTHONIC BELL/A PAINTED BIRD... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X4)
KILLFAST37... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
MORNING BELL... DIDN'T MAKE IT
DR KLOCTOPUSSY... DIDN'T MAKE IT
BOMPACHO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
CRABROCK... DIDN'T MAKE IT
REDTONIC... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MARTELLO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
THEHOMEMASTER... DIDN'T MAKE IT
JONKED... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANIME WAS RIGHT... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MAG7.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
KURONA BRIGHT...DIDN'T MAKE IT
SITTING HERE.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
IRONIC TWIST.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
TEQUILAJESUS.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANOMIEATTHEGATES.... DIDN'T MAKE IT

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
5K non thunderdome words, i think im gonna work on a longer piece this month
also 5 subs
:toxx:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

In for another 5k + 20 subs.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
60,000 words and one sub.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:toxx: for 18K :fuckthis:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
:toxx: for 17K :buttfame:

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
lets say 6k on my book, at least one original sub, and another sub that can be a rewrite or str8 up janking one of my old stories

and try to feel cool :toxx:

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
10k and 1 sub. :toxx:

ghost crow
Jul 9, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright I'm in for 4k werds :toxx:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
100,000 words :toxx:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

holy poo poo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Magnificent: monster.

I'll ask to see this if you can swing it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Update:

I wrote 35,000 words from Monday to today, 5,000 words per day.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

awright, check in people time is a ticking. Apparently Thryrork is not a failure after all so I'll take him off the shitlist, apologies Thyr.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm at 90k words but pretty sure I'm going to fail

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

angel opportunity posted:

I'm at 90k words but pretty sure I'm going to fail

squeeeeeeze the words out. There'll be a bit of leeway.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Well...here's the thing. I just finished a 50k-word novel, and I just promised myself I'd take weekends off from now on, because I'm writing 25k words Monday-Friday after work at 5k per day. If I don't take weekends off, I bottom on during the week and end up writing fewer words overall.

The novel is 50k words, and I need to do a full editing pass before I start my next one. I also want to read another book (market research) before I outline and start my new one, so I can't simply just pound out 10k words. I'm making some decent money at this, so the ~$30 getting banned from SA will cost me is less than the cost of loving up my entire writing schedule to squeeze out 10k words

:banme:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Had more trouble uploading this image to photobucket than I did writing the goddamn novel synopsis.

I'll update tomorrow with the final word count tomorrow.

:shittypop:

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 31, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

angel opportunity posted:

Well...here's the thing. I just finished a 50k-word novel, and I just promised myself I'd take weekends off from now on, because I'm writing 25k words Monday-Friday after work at 5k per day. If I don't take weekends off, I bottom on during the week and end up writing fewer words overall.

The novel is 50k words, and I need to do a full editing pass before I start my next one. I also want to read another book (market research) before I outline and start my new one, so I can't simply just pound out 10k words. I'm making some decent money at this, so the ~$30 getting banned from SA will cost me is less than the cost of loving up my entire writing schedule to squeeze out 10k words

:banme:

ok

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
flash frontier short fiction - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c6NtdXyvmFzMvOFxm7cMCkiGE3Vodq6-c4Y0u2mT6gM/edit?usp=sharing

story 1 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PHnaynmtLaYYlYyY0DU1Oekq6s6Yu2UiuFEPeaycJyg/edit?usp=shari

story 2 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VWQ5R3Vw3SxLnKoTGMcnk_deRAFPucsZyFUhtL9zp7g/edit?usp=sharin

outline for something longer idk how long atm - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yrJEUEbys5rJxOYVUMBM2h7nxWgm17wn1kwu7PrZFgU/edit?usp=sharin

242 + 1305 + 1214 + 2243 = 5004 words

Submissions:

name's on there but w/e

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
im going to throw myself on the mercy of the lw gods. i didnt technically hit the literal requirements of my toxx.

2 subs:

so here is basically everything i wrote this month

book, up 2.5k from last time

this td rewrite is 2k

this bs that will never go anywhere is 1.77k

this autism is 330 words

this sublime work of subtle genius is 1.2k

despite appearances, i wrote this and it was 2k

im gonna post this weeks td story later which is gonna be 1450 words

total words: around 11k if im doing this guestimating math rite

but in my toxx i said id do 6k for my book and thats not where the words went so judge me as u wish

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

sebmojo posted:

awright, check in people time is a ticking. Apparently Thryrork is not a failure after all so I'll take him off the shitlist, apologies Thyr.

Thanks. Also while I didn't sign up the spirit of writing Long Walk demanded payment from me.

So that's nice. :unsmith: Wish it had been more of the stories I want to tell but writing is writing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I wrote 60k between two novels, completing one final draft with >2k new scene words and completing one first draft with >58k new bad words (and deleting 18k old, even worse words between the two novels).

That's 58,004 new terrible words.

Plus something closer to 2,100 new bad words on the final draft of this novel's sequel, which Sebmojo's already seen, and thank you, I did cut that first paragraph. I probably should have cut every following one, but my delete key wore out.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
My novel is now at 59,183 words since last months total of 46,172, for a total of 13,011 new words.

I also had 9 subs this month.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

5k words and 20 subs:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
18002 words between two projects

6253 words on this piece of garbage:

11749 words on this subtly different piece of garbage:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
8,599 words of a very, very rough draft: