Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Spoiler warning for the martian. the audibook is on youtube, go listen to it or read it and then come back if you give a poo poo.

How is it that watney didnt have permission to take over ares 4?

so the hab was nasa owned, he was talking with nasa, and they were cool with him getting to ares 4. Where does the space piracy come in if he had permission to do that and they were encouraging him to make the trip? Why did he say no one gave him explicit permission if they were giving him so many designs and advice on alterations? Was it like a black ops mission?

Or was the ares 4 not owned by nasa, and instead an international consortium and nasa didn't have the right to give unilateral permission to watney?

e: butchered the title, should be "How was mark watney a space pirate". tia if a mod goes and fixes it :)

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna science the poo poo out of this thread!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
That movie had too few lightsabers, not enough chestbursters, and one too many Matt Damons.

0/10

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Frankenstyle posted:

one too many Matt Damons.

Heh, yeah, kid, you a fackin Mahtian uh somethin? You gonna shoot cha rawkit blastah, pal? Heh heh! Fackin fag.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just because you have permission to enter a place don't mean you can ransack the place

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

movie good

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
its the same as international waters you dumb gently caress they pretty much explain it right there in the movie

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenstyle posted:

That movie had too few lightsabers, not enough chestbursters, and one too many Matt Damons.

0/10

was matt damon in rhat movie? i thoght it was mark walberg :confused: was this the one about the trees?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Lucky Guy posted:

movie good

I heard it was bad.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Frankenstyle posted:

0/10

I started bringing whip-its and bourbon to the movies and now every movie has lightsabers it's loving crazy

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I heard it was bad.

its ok, but the part about the trees releasing a toxin that makes people kill themselves was pretty far fetched. i liked the pirate scenese though. it kinda reminded me of kingsmen

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
actually maybe it was kingsmen, was johnny walberg in that?

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I heard it was bad.

someone told you some lies, they're not a good friend

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'm a butt pirate if it helps op

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

who owned the ares 4?

and how does international waters work in this regard? If im on a ship, and there is another ship and im in contact with the owner of that other ship and they say "yea board it man make it your home" is that not ok? Because that seems like what happened

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 3, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

dad gay. so what posted:

actually maybe it was kingsmen, was johnny walberg in that?

i think your conflating matt damon with mark watney with mark walberg

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the whole thing was just for him to sell you the big truck

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
movie was a gay allegory

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

look, i really want to believe that mark watney is technically a space pirate. i just need to fill in some gaps of knoweldge for myself to make that happen.

please help

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Here are the relevant parts OP, the ellipses signifying me jumping a paragraph or two:

I've been thinking about laws on Mars... There's an international treaty saying no country can lay claim to anything that's not on Earth. And by another treaty, if you're not in any country's territory, Maritime law applies. So Mars is "international waters".

NASA is an American nonmilitary organization and it owns the Hab. So while I'm in the Hab, American law applies. As soon as I step outside, I'm in international waters. Then when I get in the Rover, I'm back to American Law.

Here's the cool part: I will eventually go to Schiaparelli and commandeer the Ares 4 lander. Nobody explicitly gave me permission to do this, and they can't until I'm aboard Ares 4 and operating the comms system. After I board Ares 4, before talking to NASA, I will take control of a craft in international waters without permission.

That makes me a pirate!

A Space Pirate!

#1 bestselling book of 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

fun fact while searching the book for "pirate", 10 results for "pirate-ninja" showed up

this is a really trendy book

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
op were you wearing spacesuit gloves when you typed this thread title or are you just retarded

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
when americans use 'ow' instead of 'oh'.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Don Tacorleone posted:

Here are the relevant parts OP, the ellipses signifying me jumping a paragraph or two:

I've been thinking about laws on Mars... There's an international treaty saying no country can lay claim to anything that's not on Earth. And by another treaty, if you're not in any country's territory, Maritime law applies. So Mars is "international waters".

NASA is an American nonmilitary organization and it owns the Hab. So while I'm in the Hab, American law applies. As soon as I step outside, I'm in international waters. Then when I get in the Rover, I'm back to American Law.

Here's the cool part: I will eventually go to Schiaparelli and commandeer the Ares 4 lander. Nobody explicitly gave me permission to do this, and they can't until I'm aboard Ares 4 and operating the comms system. After I board Ares 4, before talking to NASA, I will take control of a craft in international waters without permission.

That makes me a pirate!

A Space Pirate!

#1 bestselling book of 2015

Great. I'm familiar with this part but it still feels like something is left out. Heres the thing - they gave him permission when he was in the rover because thats where the complicated convos were happening, an area under american law.

Or is it that, since the ares 4 was on mars nasa can't say they own it when no one is it it?

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

i'm more of a space pirate than Mark Watney ever was that oval office

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

Great. I'm familiar with this part but it still feels like something is left out. Heres the thing - they gave him permission when he was in the rover because thats where the complicated convos were happening, an area under american law.

Or is it that, since the ares 4 was on mars nasa can't say they own it when no one is it it?

I forget the details but since he wasn't given explicit permission he technically becomes a Space Pirate in his mind

the real issue is that there are no proper Space Laws yet, so applying Maritime Law to Mars seems like a stretch to me

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

movie was a gay allegory

he's not the man they think he is at home, oh no. he's a rocket man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

KoRMaK posted:

IIRC in the book he blows up his only means of communication with NASA through a dumb fuckup and just heads out to Ares 4 on his own.

• Locked thread