Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Drop me a PM if you spot any errors in the above spreadsheet. It only goes to level 3 so far but I'll be adding to it soon (since my campaign just hit level 4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Countblanc posted:

Updated the OP with a handy new link, a spreadsheet by Gort with all of Strike's default monsters broken down by type (stooge/goon/etc) for easy copy/pasting!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pYbn7kC4I8Zhn0xVCW0neYhBaD4ElJHu/edit#gid=442148478

Holy poo poo, that's an awesome resource! Thanks a lot, dudes!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What do people do for the damage numbers for damaging terrain as you go up in levels?

Where player characters are concerned, getting pushed through a fire space might be 1 or 2 points of damage and that's pretty impactful on a player character who will have 8-16 HP, but monster HP escalates much more than that. At level 1, 2 HP is 25% of a monster's health, but at level 10 it's only 8% - you can't escalate the terrain damage too much, either, or when a player takes the damage it'll be overwhelming.

Do people have something like "Level 10 Fire Space: 2 damage to a player, 6 to a monster"?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gort posted:

What do people do for the damage numbers for damaging terrain as you go up in levels?

Where player characters are concerned, getting pushed through a fire space might be 1 or 2 points of damage and that's pretty impactful on a player character who will have 8-16 HP, but monster HP escalates much more than that. At level 1, 2 HP is 25% of a monster's health, but at level 10 it's only 8% - you can't escalate the terrain damage too much, either, or when a player takes the damage it'll be overwhelming.

Do people have something like "Level 10 Fire Space: 2 damage to a player, 6 to a monster"?

Players are typically going to have better methods of both forcing enemies into damage terrain, and avoiding it themselves, than monsters are. There's no need to edit it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Strike monsters spreadsheet is now up to level 7, as my current campaign just hit level 6.

I usually find this is where Strike starts getting a bit more rocket-taggy, with most champions able to do 10 damage on a crit and most generalist monsters 6 - player characters have to rely more on their defensive powers (EG: Dodge and Strike Back) than their HP to stay up than before.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Just want to make sure I have the rules for Hidden enemies down right.

There are actually two ways an enemy can be hidden in a fight - enemies who have not yet joined the fight, and enemies who have been involved in the fight and then become hidden through some action.

For enemies who have not yet joined the fight, they don't have a mini on the map, and players can spot them by taking the "Are there hidden enemies?" option of the Assess action.

For enemies who have joined the fight and then become hidden, they DO have a mini on the map (though they cannot be targeted and get advantage to hit the players) and can be spotted by removing the cover or concealment that is hiding them. (EG: Moving round the wall they're hiding behind, blowing away the smoke cloud that's concealing them)

Is that accurate?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The spreadsheet is pretty awesome!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

My friends and I are about to start a Strike game, and I have a rules question. If a power's Effect includes dealing damage, is it added to the power's base damage on a 3+, or is it a separate source? This would change how it interacts with Resist and potentially let it one-shot goons.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

5-Headed Snake God posted:

My friends and I are about to start a Strike game, and I have a rules question. If a power's Effect includes dealing damage, is it added to the power's base damage on a 3+, or is it a separate source? This would change how it interacts with Resist and potentially let it one-shot goons.

It's supplemental, not a second hit. This is important for effects that specifically interact with base damage, like critical hits. So an attack that does 2 base damage, and has an effect that inflicts 2 more damage will, on a solid hit, inflict a single hit of 4 damage. If that same attack is a critical, only the base damage is doubled, so it inflicts a single hit of 6 damage.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Gort posted:

Just want to make sure I have the rules for Hidden enemies down right.

There are actually two ways an enemy can be hidden in a fight - enemies who have not yet joined the fight, and enemies who have been involved in the fight and then become hidden through some action.

For enemies who have not yet joined the fight, they don't have a mini on the map, and players can spot them by taking the "Are there hidden enemies?" option of the Assess action.

For enemies who have joined the fight and then become hidden, they DO have a mini on the map (though they cannot be targeted and get advantage to hit the players) and can be spotted by removing the cover or concealment that is hiding them. (EG: Moving round the wall they're hiding behind, blowing away the smoke cloud that's concealing them)

Is that accurate?

I think so, yes. Hidden is a thing I am changing for the 2nd edition so I'm a bit foggy on what changes I made when, but what you wrote sounds right.

Yeah, like FoS said, it doesn't get doubled with a crit, but it also doesn't count as a second instance of damage, so you don't get resisted twice and it doesn't one-shot goons.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Monsters spreadsheet is now up to level 9, as my current campaign just hit level 8.

I get the feeling I'll get it finished in time for 2nd edition to make it all obsolete

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gort posted:

Monsters spreadsheet is now up to level 9, as my current campaign just hit level 8.

I get the feeling I'll get it finished in time for 2nd edition to make it all obsolete

This is beautiful. I am not running a Strike! game right now, but I am 200% using it for when we return.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If a character is pushed via end-of-turn effect (the duelist's Force Their Position class feature) into a zone that damages you at the end of your turn (the bombardier's Hot Bomb zone), the end of their turn gets re-instigated and they take the 3, right? That's how it would work if we were playing Magic: The Gathering so that's the ruling I passed yesterday. I'm curious if that's intended, because it's a dope combo.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Yeah, they would take the damage in that case.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Finished up the monsters spreadsheet - got all the monsters from the main Strike book in stooge, goon, normal, elite and champion variants, up to level 10.

Let me know if you spot any errors.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Are there rules for a "surprise" beginning to a combat, similar to D&D's surprise round type stuff?

I think an entire turn with no monster actions might be a bit much, maybe each ambusher gets a single action of any type before combat starts, perhaps?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I gave my players a surprise round once in Strike! and it was probably the easiest encounter they've ever had at my table.

I am not sure there are official rules for it, but in retrospect it would have been better to resolve the ambush in the narrative layer and, if there are still enough enemies standing for it to be worth a full tactical battle, change the encounter to match the results, including player positioning.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My ambush bonus varies a bit with the situation, but it's usually some combination of the ambusher getting superior starting positioning, having advantage to their initiative, and/or advantage to their first attacks.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

fool of sound posted:

My ambush bonus varies a bit with the situation, but it's usually some combination of the ambusher getting superior starting positioning, having advantage to their initiative, and/or advantage to their first attacks.

Yeah, this is what I do as well. It depends a bit on whether I'm using a pre-made map or just drawing something up from scratch. If I'm just drawing it, I can draw it so the players get the stronger defensible positions and the enemies are out in the open.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah, in any game with D&D-like combat, i usually implement surprise advantage as greater freedom (and more complete information) in choosing a starting position on the combat map. i can't remember if any of the games i've played actually have rules to the same effect or if i was inspired by some video game, but in any case it works pretty well in nearly any of them and is way less swingy than a free turn

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Free partial turns are good. Free information (like a free Assess) is also great. Superior start position is something I have struggled with as a GM and a player -- what looks like a great position may mean either a rapid wipe for Team Monster or a death trap for PCs who roll poorly/misunderstand/don't actually know what the baddies can do.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

homullus posted:

Free partial turns are good. Free information (like a free Assess) is also great. Superior start position is something I have struggled with as a GM and a player -- what looks like a great position may mean either a rapid wipe for Team Monster or a death trap for PCs who roll poorly/misunderstand/don't actually know what the baddies can do.

Hah! I have a story from a couple of weeks ago about just that. In our last combat, I had the enemies positioned to allow a particular strategy: they could run up to the closest one and steal her amulet that gave her protection from the neutral monsters so they would also attack her and not just focus on the PCs.

They peeked ahead and saw her as the biggest thereat (which in fairness she was) and came up with a strategy to lure her out of the room and put her behind them, giving them a round without her there. That's a reasonable advantage, but made the intended strat impossible. The end result was them turning what should have been an easy-to-moderate fight for 3 PCs into a moderate fight for 5 PCs.

It ended up being the closest Strike! fight I've ever seen. It looked like they were going to wipe, but with all rallies spent, two PCs taken out (not just down, but truly out), and the last PC on 1HP, the final enemy who was on 2HP rolled a 1 on her attack, allowing the last PC to finish her off.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Rules question that came up in my last session: if a character with Lucky makes an enemy reroll an attack, does the reroll stick even if it's better, or does the attacker use the lower result?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Rules question that came up in my last session: if a character with Lucky makes an enemy reroll an attack, does the reroll stick even if it's better, or does the attacker use the lower result?

As written, the reroll sticks regardless. But I don't think it's overpowered the other way either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
New thread posted for Strike, as well as Tailfeathers which I highly encourage any strike-likers to check out!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022049