Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 389 posted:

Singh falters under the onslaught of your combined attacks. The mantramukta is blasted out of his hands, but he manages to draw his pistol as he falls. Golgoth’s next shot sears through his breastplate and pierces his heart, but even as he dies his finger constricts on the trigger. The shot strikes you painfully through the leg.

Lose 3 Life Points and turn to 431 if you can survive that.

Page 431 posted:

If you have a charged barysal gun, turn to 219.
If not, turn to 241.

Page 219 posted:

You station yourselves beside the Heart. Within its glittering facets, a universe is waiting to be born. Infinite possibilities flicker in the violet glare.

Golgoth seems to share your mood. ‘There’s no other way,’ he says. ‘Ready?’

‘What will happen?’ you ask him. ‘I mean, will it just disappear, or will there be an explosion?’

He shrugs. ‘I don’t know. Personally I doubt if I’ll be around afterwards to collect this month’s pay, but no one lives forever.’

You nod. ‘I just never expected to be a martyr, that’s all.’

The beams from your guns converge at the center of the Heart, splintering its crystal lattice. The light within grows until it blinds you. With a rush of energy, the Heart suddenly bursts apart, engulfing you and Golgoth in a cold flare of energy. In this chamber deep below the ruins of Du-En, the two of you give your lives for the sake of the whole world.

THE END

Nicely done readers, we've...triumphed? Not won, certainly, but I think that's a pretty satisfying ending. I'm going to bring this playthrough to an end and run a bit of an abbreviated post-book. In a few days, we'll move on to the final book in the series, but for now let me know what questions still linger.

Character Sheet posted:

Jay 'Doc' Sherman the Scientist

Skills: CYBERNETICS, LORE, SURVIVAL, PILOTING

Life Points: 0

Scads: 18

Possessions: Cold-weather suit, polarized goggles, binoculars, flashlight, barysal gun [I], medkit, speculum jacket, Little Gaia. MANTA SKY-CAR IDLING OUTSIDE...WAITING FOR US TO RETURN...ALONE...FOREVER...?

Codewords: Nemesis, Blue

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a nightcrawler, a particularly bulbous cactus, Necklace of Skulls, a necklace of skulls, some jerk vines, a troupe of post-apocalyptic hell-puppets, a weird future ghost thing, embroyonic cyber-spider mech, pretty much every conceivable thing (x2), the post-apocalyptic speed limit, a second weird future ghost thing (albeit vicariously), the bestest robofriendship we're likely to come across this side of godhood, two traitorous Bocheii, whatever remained of the concept of privacy, Vajra Singh, our last (probably) shot at godhood

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd, pulp'd, flatten'd, eat'd (nobley), rubble'd, cul-de-sac'd, what-once-used-to-be-the-harbor'd, three magical bodyguards'd, orgy'd, bitter life-sucking cold'd, cascade of rubble'd, cold'd, celestial darkness'd, mutant plant'd, second shot'd, hypnotic trance'd, reality ripped right out from under us'd, Volent'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm interested if we can do anything substantial with Gaia / repairing Reality 1.0

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'd love to see the Yellow and Blue paths of course.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm interested if we can do anything substantial with Gaia / repairing Reality 1.0

Sadly, no.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'd love to see the Yellow and Blue paths of course.

Yellow actually is a bit of a red herring. It leads to 324 which we've already visited. Perhaps a reflection that Boche is a yellow-bellied self-interested turncoat.

Red, on the other hand, gives a few options. Boche gets snuffed from the get-go, and you can either betray Singh and finish off the Heart with Golgoth, or outmaneuver Golgoth and finish him. You're then left...

Page 72 posted:

‘We’ve done it!’ you cry. ‘Now to destroy the Heart.’

But Singh shakes his head. ‘Nonsense. I have honored our agreement thus far, but only to ensure success. Now we must decide which of us survives to claim the power.’

‘Hardly an even battle.’ You nod at the powerful mantramukta cannon in his hands.

He tosses the cannon aside. In his belt is tucked a weapon in the shape of an ancient dueling-pistol, but with a nozzle that tells you it is in fact a modified laser.

If you have a charged barysal gun, turn to 284.
If not, turn to 305.

...to duel Singh, as although he's a man of honor, he has no interest in sharing power. If you have a gun, you'll have a shoot-out (made easier with SHOOTING), if not it's good old hand-to-hand, and then the ending as we first saw it, us alone with godhood.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Considering the intro tells us humanity is expected to go extinct within the next century, becoming a god and rebooting the universe really seems like the all-around better option there.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Typical human thought. So Earth is screwed, what about all the other populated planets in the Universe?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Typical human thought. So Earth is screwed, what about all the other populated planets in the Universe?

Well, the one "true" ending does leave a glimmer of hope, but you'll have to buy the book (it's only $1 for kindle!) to find that out. We never quite figured our way to it on this playthrough.

Sorry for the prolonged absence, folks. March was busy, but clearer days are ahead. I will be finishing out the series with
Twist of Fate/One Upon a Time in Arabia soon and will drop a link in this thread when that happens. Hope to see you there!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
We missed a whole ending?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Cathode Raymond posted:

We missed a whole ending?

Several!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Off to new adventures - Once Upon a Time in Arabia is up and running!

• Locked thread