Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
whats the wrestling festival thing? actual matches/card or contract signing stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think its the thing they've done the last couple years where they do an in-ring press conference with guys cutting promos for each match and then they bring out idols and there's a tekken event or something

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

There's going to be a couple matches I think. IIRC that's the show that's going to have Oka (the heavyweight otaku YL who hasn't really had a real match yet) vs Nagata.

I'm having difficulty finding much more than that, but last year's had four matches including the debuts of Kawato and Kanemitsu

NJPW "BIG PRO-WRESTLING FESTIVAL 2016", 03.01.2016 (NJPW World)
Tokyo Differ Ariake

1. Hirai Kawato Debut Match: Yohei Komatsu besiegt Hirai Kawato (6:22) mit einem Crab Hold.
2. Teruaki Kanemitsu Debut Match: Sho Tanaka besiegt Teruaki Kanemitsu (5:15) mit einem Crab Hold.
3. Ryusuke Taguchi, Máscara Dorada & David Finlay besiegen Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask & Jay White (8:40) nach dem Dorada Screwdriver von Dorada gegen White.
4. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Juice Robinson besiegen Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Captain New Japan (10:56) nach einer Lariat von Kojima gegen Captain.
(courtesy of purolove)

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 29, 2016

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
mods please change my name to Mit Einem Crab Hold

Anyone who's not excited to see the big beefy young lion is lying to themselves. New Japan needs a new Nakanishi for the future

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
G-1 is coming to America

http://411mania.com/wrestling/more-on-njpw-holding-g1-events-in-the-us/

quote:

Last week it was reported that New Japan Pro Wrestling is looking to make a move into the US market. Rocky Romero and Tiger Hattori were in Southern California making plans for expansion of business. There is talk of the company running shows on their own in 2017 (they have previously run joint shows with ROH); the target is starting the G-1 Climax tournament’s opening days in late July in the US.

Pwinsider now reports that Rocky Romero and George Carroll, a New England based independent wrestling personality (who did some website work for Ring of Honor) were recently in Long Beach doing ground work for the dates.

The dates could be announced as soon as the January 4th WrestleKingdom 11 event.

Joint shows with PWG in Reseda maybe?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah theyre definitely gonna run the g1 in front of 200 people in reseda with okada's theme playing on a boom box at the far end of the room

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah theyre definitely gonna run the g1 in front of 200 people in reseda with okada's theme playing on a boom box at the far end of the room

I think you're overestimating how many people would buy tickets for multiple nights of New Japan in the United States

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

they're deliberately not doing this with ROH because they want to do their own thing and look major league not run a shithole like the legion

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oatgan posted:

they're deliberately not doing this with ROH because they want to do their own thing and look major league not run a shithole like the legion

quote:

George Carroll, a New England based independent wrestling personality (who did some website work for Ring of Honor)

Sounds major league to me

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
You're really underestimating what a poo poo hole minor league thing wrestling in the legion really is no matter how good the wrestling is.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

Sounds major league to me

Mike Johnson dislikes George and is deliberately sending out bad info

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I paid my hard earned money to watch CJ Parker in an armory and, hell, I'll do it again for Juice Rob.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like he was at the Legion Hall as part of his business trip

https://twitter.com/GCarroll77/status/810026429865787393

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
PWInsider:

quote:

The current plan is for New Japan Pro Wrestling to run the first two nights of the 2017 G-1 Climax tournament in July at the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, California.

New Japan star Rocky Romero and George Carroll, a New England based independent wrestling personality who did some website work for Ring of Honor, were recently in Long Beach doing ground work for the dates.

NJPW traditionally announces major dates for the year during the 1/4/17 Dome show.

But as I said on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/814522749276327936

Personally PWInsider seems to be deliberately posting erroneous information. Those shows aren't G1 shows and Mike Johnson is greatly downplaying George's role in ROH - I think even contradicting his own reporting about George.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

Looks like he was at the Legion Hall as part of his business trip

https://twitter.com/GCarroll77/status/810026429865787393

He was scouting locations with Tiger Hattori in LA and working on the business plan. It was in the Observer last week.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watching "On the Road" with Tama Tonga and I wish it was more of him talking and less of him working out. The ending where we get to learn about who he is, and why he is in wrestling was good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Full card for the Festival show according to Meltzer:

Yuji Nagata vs. Tomoyuki Ota
Manabu Nakanishi vs. Henare
Jushin Liger and Tiger Mask IV vs. Ryusuke Taguchi and Hirai Kawato

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Oh no Henare is going to kill his former mentor.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Not technically NJPW news yet, but....

https://twitter.com/StrongStylStory/status/814835573152169985

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TV Zombie posted:

Watching "On the Road" with Tama Tonga and I wish it was more of him talking and less of him working out. The ending where we get to learn about who he is, and why he is in wrestling was good.

his neglected podcast was a really good 30 minutes. Plus you find out his mom runs the universe.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://twitter.com/johnasters/status/815008612095389696

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a show starting soon?
Edit:
In about 12 hours.

Anyone doing a thread for it?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 2, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Is there a show starting soon?
Edit:
In about 12 hours.

Anyone doing a thread for it?

I'll have a WK thread up which can suffice

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thauros posted:

I'll have a WK thread up which can suffice

Sounds good. Judging by earlier in the thread was the differ event pretaped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Closing this thread now that WK thread's up. Will open a NOAH-less 2017 thread after New Year's Dash.

• Locked thread